Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

By Jove! Nobody knows Franquin around here?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Alexander, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Alexander

Alexander pfm Member

I just tried to find english translations of comics by Andre Franquin and couldn't find any. You don't know what you've been missing. He made stuff like this http://noscope.com/photostream/albums/various/Sorte-Sider.jpg

this [​IMG]

and this

http://monsu.desiderio.free.fr/case/zorglub.html

If anyone is interested in european comics, my knowledge is outdated but I should be able to provide some entrypoints, both in the area of graphism and storytelling.

I checked some big names.
    - Pratt(EDIT: only a few old translations)
    - Bilal(EDIT: found some on amazon) and
    - Moebius (some older translations)
    - Bourgeon(nothing)

2. Alexander

Alexander pfm Member

'By Jove' is the kind of expression I've only encountered in comics. Edgar Jacobs started making stories after the war with very british heroes. 'La Marque Jaune' exists in english translation, and it largely plays in London.
    [​IMG]

3. vln

vln Shuns mooks. And MQA.

I do.

I have the 'Idées Noires' - pretty grim stuff, but good.

As you probably know, he wrote it while dealing with depression.

Explains a lot.

4. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Franquin in English!?! Rhôôndidjiou!

(my daughter adores Gaston Lagaffe so we have quite a few of those around, but I was more a Gotlib follower)

5. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

BIG Franquin fan here. I have Gaston Lagaffe complete, Idées Noires 1 and 2 of course, Spirou, Marsupilami ...

I like the Ecole Belge in general, Valérian, and loads of other stuff.

6. Alexander

Alexander pfm Member

Okay guys, that means you're all either not british, or expats :)

Franquin had his depression right after Idees Noires. It's indeed tempting to draw symptom/cause inferencerenses here. A very heavy depression it was, he had to learn a lot of things anew afterwards.

7. Alexander

Alexander pfm Member