Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying records from overseas after Jan 1st

Discussion in 'music' started by paulfromcamden, Oct 17, 2020.

1. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

William Shatner posted on Twitter yesterday that his online shop will stop shipping to the UK because of the cost of complying with new UK VAT regulations.

I sometimes buy records direct from small European labels without proper UK distribution. I'm assuming some of them will also stop shipping to the UK.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

[​IMG]

2. Big Tabs

Big Tabs pants up, knee down

it sounds like it is similar to the Discogs shipping policy debacle.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The realities of Brexit will become abundantly clear in time. “Project fear” = project fact.

4. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

I wonder if this will be different for those of us in Norn Iron? My understanding of the (confusing & still not settled) situation is that, to all intents and purposes, we will still be in the EU, so maybe this isn't applicable here?

5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Ask Shatner.

6. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

‘To Boldly Go’

7. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

8. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Only if the seller can be arsed with the admin.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That sounds like a total cluster**** in every conceivable direction. I suspect most international niche/small businesses will just stop selling into the UK as it just isn’t worth the hassle dealing with that shite.

If you were say a record shop in the USA or Japan would you really be bothered with registering etc just to send a couple of collectable albums in now and again? It will be interesting/potentially terrifying to see how it impacts website ad-revenue too.

I’m assuming the current legislation on second-hand goods via small (non-VAT registered) business still applies, but if not I’ll likely end up being forced to ditch foreign record sales as no way in hell do I want to register for or deal with that any of that bureaucratic crap on my turnover. I honestly don’t have the willpower to face it.

Project reality hits Little Shitland.