Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying from Germany

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by spamnap, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

I have ordered a few things lately from Japan and had to pay VAT + service charge on all of the items. I knew that in advance so I had no problem with that.

I wonder if there is a way to avoid the service charge by registering and paying VAT before receiving the item? The Danish tax authorities state on their website that such a possibility exists. Does anyone have any experience of this? If this could be done, that should speed up the process in customs I would think. It would mean extra paperwork but if I could save £20 and time on each purchase it would make a lot of sense to me.

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Only indirect experience, and obviously only UK.
    To get through cutoms with no hold up, there needs to be a Customs Declaration attached. That would mean that you would have to generate some kind of document that the seller attached to any shipment. It would very likely still be possible for random checking, but in theory the parcel would get straight through.

Nothing in life is gauaranteed though - so far I have been waiting for a parcel from Spain for around 6 weeks - late last year a similar shipment took something like a week, maybe 10 days. The sender was (presumably is) convinced that they had covered everything required (and the price went up accordingly).