Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying from Germany

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by spamnap, Feb 7, 2021.

1. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

The Scotland thing depends on what you regard as a nation state I guess, but I don't disagree in theory. Thing is, they had a "once in a generation vote" only a few years ago.

2. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

But as John Maynard Keynes said ' when the facts change...so does the theory'...Brexit has changed it for Scotland...Not scared of a bit of democracy are you?

3. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

Not at all I don't really understand what all the fuss about keeping Scotland is about, we'd be richer without them.

clap likes this.
  4. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

(Financially richer if culturally a little poorer I'll admit. But that's no reason to force them to stay against their will.)

5. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

We almost agree...the UK will be culturally and financially poorer...but on the leaving part I agree.

Avinunca likes this.
  6. iansr

iansr pfm Member

“(NOTE - UK, NOT the EU)”. Incorrect. The EU is introducing a similar scheme on 1 July. It was planned to happen on I Jan but some member states were not ready. The EU value is 150 Euros. That’s not a coincidence.

7. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Not incorrect when written, and not really incorrect now either. What the EU has done or is doing, or is about to do, has no effect, directly, upon the UK anymore.
    Until Jan 1st. there was no requirement for sellers anywhere outside of the UK to register with the UK for collection of UK VAT. There is now.

8. iansr

iansr pfm Member

I was merely pointing out that the UK system mirrors the one being introduced by the EU. You’d be naive to think the similarities are a coincidence.

VanDerGraaf likes this.
  9. simon g

simon g Older, wiser but no longer retired

It's a bit of 'democracy' that bought about the Brexit mess in the first place.

Be careful of what you wish for, lest it come true!

10. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

Brexiteers can't have it both ways.

11. rallychief

rallychief pfm Member

I enquired about a headhone amp dac on e bay in Germany, the German seller informed me i think it was DHL their courier would charge £5 and i would be liable for vat, and any customs charges that may be applied, plus the delays whilst this was going on, plus any international covid delays, needless to say i thought better of the purchase.

12. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

Hopefully this will encourage entrepreneurs in the UK to set up businesses to make things we stopped doing, or import them to sell directly. Also, in the long run non UK companies may set up subsidiaries in the UK to sell directly. Same as the US, Japanese etc did to sell to the EU.

13. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Depressing thread. Well, if you voted for it...congrats. You got it.

booja30 likes this.
  14. jay

jay built for speed

Which was entirely foreseeable by Brexiters (they all know how evil the EU is), so it's a shame we didn't agree to extend the transition period we were offered.

15. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Dragging the process out for another year of cyclic arguments achieving nothing as we do on here with mains cable threads.

16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Looks like they’re wanting another one. It’s on the manifesto, six weeks from now will confirm their answer.
    Regards the question of this thread, I’m amazed that anyone voting for Brexit now has the temerity to complain about the added cost of buying and selling hifi trinkets in EU countries. It’s the new cost of doing business and it’s going to hit large areas beyond simply their hobby interest.

RogerJW, albireo and booja30 like this.
  17. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Yes. A micro-economic sign of the macro-reality coming our way, I fear.

RogerJW likes this.
  18. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

Just sent a package to Europe and its bloody confusing. I wasn’t even able to put the correct value down as it wouldn’t accept the proper amount so a bit concerned to sa the least.

19. jay

jay built for speed

Sure, sure that makes sense...o_O

20. FrancisClement

FrancisClement pfm Member

I live in Spain and sold most of my excess stuff last year thank god. If I need to sell anything else to UK it will have to wait until I can fly over and bring an odd pre-amp or 2 in my backpack. My main worry is having equipment sent to UK for servicing, is VAT due for the cost of the service or the value of the item?? Perhaps there is a Klass A in Europe??

As far a buying is concerned I see that the bureaucracy is crazy but I discovered recently that a camera I bought from Japan attracted no VAT nor extra charges when it was sent by national postal services but DHL etc would add crippling charges.