Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying from Germany

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by spamnap, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

I believe that if you are buying new, there should not be much difference, you are just paying VAT in UK rather than the EU country (19% vs 20% for example).

Its only second hand where you are now being charged 20% VAT on top of the purchase price, plus Import Duty.

Is that correct?

2. simonj

simonj pfm Member

There's no import duty from the EU just VAT + fees, from the US there is Duty (1-4% dependent on which product import code) and VAT + fees.

misterdog and Hoopsontoast like this.
  3. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

However, if you undervalue to try and avoid charges, you also won't be able to insure properly.

This is only crap because we left the EU. It was entirely predictable as it's a similar arrangement with other countries with a trade deal.

It's not the EU's fault. Nothing has changed their end regarding third countries they have similar deals with.

The idea it's a 'punishment' is risible.

You are in the club or out. It's not difficult to understand.

Stephen

duckworp, Vinny, TonyScarlett and 5 others like this.
  4. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Not really as they're breaking the law................

When I was trading our very small enterprise we would fairly frequently be asked to undervalue things on the Customs paperwork - we always refused.

Having said this the current situation is whole lot less than ideal. It certainly makes many European eBay buys uneconomic.

The thing that really gets me is the administration fee ( the only positive here is that it is VAT free???). This could be avoided by setting up suitable electronic systems.......

Regards

Richard

simonj likes this.
  5. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

No if you do the research you understand the new rules.
    No one said leaving the EU would be the same as staying in the EU.

The rules are changing again on 1st July, as the EU was too busy trying to secure some vaccine that they manufacture themselves, to implement it on Jan 1.

When you look further than PFM and Ebay you can find all the answers on something called the internet.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/...-22-import-exemption--import-oss-returns.html

Switzerland is not a member state of the European Union (EU). It is associated with the Union through a series of bilateral treaties in which Switzerland has adopted various provisions of European Union law in order to participate in the Union's single market, without joining as a member state. All but one (the microstate Liechtenstein) of Switzerland's neighbouring countries are EU member states.

Both exports to and imports from Switzerland increased between 2009 and 2019. EU exports to Switzerland were highest in 2019 (EUR 147 billion) and lowest in 2009 (EUR 84 billion). EU imports from Switzerland were also highest in 2019 (EUR 110 billion) and lowest in 2009 (EUR 70 billion).22 Jan 2021

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Stanstareason dunnit. Bilighty’s failings- always someone else’s fault.

Avinunca likes this.
  7. atcman

atcman pfm Member

Wow am i missing something i thought this was classifieds nothing for sale,nothing wanted

8. misterdog

Yes politicians.

On all three sides protecting their self serving interests, Including Jeremy Corbyn who, well, just couldn't make a decision.

9. TheDecameron

Who needs to buy hifi from Germany anyway? Perfectly good British hifi for British enthusiasts, maybe the flat earth will come back- black underspec’d biscuit tins. Remote control? Nah, you don’t want that luv, it degrades the sound.

10. misterdog

Though China appears to be the future, not members of the EU though so who can we blame ?

11. TheDecameron

China has already handed the British hifi industry’s arse to it on a plate with few exceptions.

12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Your comment could be read to mean that there was/is no VAT to be paid on import of goods from CH into the UK - there was before Brexit and there is now, and I paid it.

It is also implied above that there are no tarrifs between EU and UK - not true, there are, but they do not apply to all goods and are small compared to VAT.

At least the extra charges via EPay are there to see, simple and free of additional chrges for collection.

misterdog likes this.
  13. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

I wanted a part for my bike...way cheaper bin Germany...but German companies openly state on their website that due to Brexit they won't be sending goods to the UK for the foreseeable future...That is the reality of Brexit.

nmtjb likes this.
  14. misterdog

For manufacturing and production, though the new generation are designing for themselves.

They have removed the blinkers and see no point in reinventing the wheel.

I have just been reading Peter Walker's objectives in designing the Electrostatic loudspeaker, from his paper in Wireless World from 1955. His two aims were to produce the lowest distortion transducer (loudspeaker) which had least impact on room reflections.

Mention distortion of 0.00007 % on here and you might as well talk VAT and import duty.

15. misterdog

Clue ? maybe they are waiting until 1st July.

With all change there are winners and losers, some companies may feel it not worth the effort.
    See my earlier post of Thomann above. A German company who have made 'the' effort.
    People who wish to trade have always had to do such.

VAT has always been applicable as an input and output tax to most businesses and the end resulting sales tax is always payable by the consumer. Whether that VAT was visible to the consumer has now come to the fore.
    Buy a car, it includes VAT, buy a second hand car, that price reflects the original price(including the VAT) less the depreciation.

Given how few understand the taxation rules is possibly a reason why so many businesses fail within the first few years.

I buy at X plus VAT (input VAT) and I sell at Y including VAT, I pay HMRC the VAT on Y (output VAT) less the VAT I have paid for X. - Simple.

As a consumer you pay the VAT at Y.

16. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Not really.

This has been gone through on PFM around 342745597 times in the past 5 weeks. The reason for foreign traders refusing to ship stuff to the UK is because the UK (NOTE - UK, NOT the EU) changed its tax regulations. Under £135 (or whatever it is), UK VAT has to be collected by the foreign trader and paid back to the UK, to do that, the trader has to register, and all other hassles, in the UK.

Over £135 (or whatever it is), and the foreign supplier can, if they so wish, go through the hassle of not collecting their local version of VAT, ship the stuff to the UK and VAT, duty and admin' charges will be levied on import into the UK.

It REALLY is, VERY, VERY simple.

17. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

Yep!

18. lawrence001

lawrence001 pfm Member

Anyway, now that British laws can only be made by British people, we're net winners, it's just that hifi costs a bit more if we buy from overseas.

I reckon if the audiophile community tried to stop the ex Communist states breaking away from Soviet rule so they could save a few quid on their hifi they would have got short shrift. To me the situations are parallel. I suspect some (ex) remainers (aka rejoiners) would say that's ridiculous. That's one of the joys of a diverse society and freedom of thought.

Of course if the EU allowed economic only membership (as when we originally joined) rather than insisting on law making powers, all this could have been avoided.

spamnap and neilmack like this.
  19. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

Laws were already made by the British or have you forgotten that...Plus the EU and it's forbears were part of a 'peace' project but as the UK was never occupied you might not appreciate that.

Neither would appreciate the dominant theme in English and then British foreign policy since the middle ages...keep our European opponents divided...so by that logic...joining the Common Market and then EU was a masterstroke...divide and conquer from within...but that power has been lost...so enjoy the sovereignty that you never lost and the fish that you won't eat!

PS: By your logic...Scotland should be given the further opportunity to decide it's future as it's sovereignty has been eroded by laws made in England against the wishes of the Scottish people.

nmtjb and Avinunca like this.
  20. Avinunca

Avinunca Canine Hifi and electronics enthusiast.

We were riding on the periphery of the EU enjoying it's benefits.
    No chance of a second vote when so many people had woken up to the monumental con trick of Brexit. Brilliant day out with great people in London nevertheless.
    What have we gained - sweet FA - oh I think they call it sovereignty - the thing we and the other members had anyway. Who is taking control? - Doris
    - increasingly from Parliament.
    Rant over.
    Hoping to be a leaver!

Nye Samuel likes this.