Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying from Germany

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by spamnap, Feb 7, 2021.

1. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

It absolutely is. You’re just paying tax to the UK government instead.

ETA assuming you’re referring to purchase of new items.

2. simonj

simonj pfm Member

If it's new then you're basically just removing the EU VAT charge and having it charged as UK VAT, you may loose a bit to exchange rate and the courier admin charge, but if 2nd hand theirs no VAT to remove, but you still pay it again effectively in the UK, making it usually not worth it for EU 2nd hand stuff, wish I'd pressed the button on a few things before Xmas. The thing for me with this is it was not made clear so was just a nasty sting in the tail in Jan, I just won't be doing it again now..

3. simonj

simonj pfm Member

On new kit it may also cause extra charges or maybe just paperwork if you need to send something back to the EU for repair, it's definitely not as simple as it was anyway...

4. jimification

jimification pfm Member

From UK (in the last month):
    - Bought a Gilet from an online clothing store in Spain over Christmas, it was turned back at Spanish customs and returned to them. Apparently, their courier can't deliver to the UK at the moment.
    - Bought a Linn bearing from a German dealer (shoebox sized parcel), got straight here in a couple of days, no VAT or customs stoppage.
    - Bought an LP from Poland, straight through, no problems
    - Sent 2 speaker cones for rewiring in Belgium, so far they have spent a week "awaiting clearance" in Belgian customs. (and I spent a long time filling in all the paperwork correctly!)

simonj likes this.
  5. Spider

Spider pfm Member

It’s not just EU
    Most of items on EBay in USA are also with added VAT now. Everything outside UK just went up 20%.

nmtjb likes this.
  6. aion1944

aion1944 pfm Member

it also applies the other way around, ie uk -eu

7. simonj

simonj pfm Member

USA was already that way (Duty+VAT) though, I/we knew that and how it worked and what to expect. Often stuff in the USA is much cheaper to buy (by more than 20% etc) so can still makes it worthwhile. EU stuff isn't vastly cheaper generally (Less than 20% etc), but as it's close/fast/cheap to post to/from a small price difference was worthwhile, but now the prices of used stuff has effectively gone up by 20% the dynamics of that close market have changed and so it's no longer a level playing field or worth it, I've stopped looking to buy kit over there now and no longer advertise to sell it there either... Probably just means the market reduces and prices will creep upwards maybe..

8. monya

monya pfm Member

Why is importing/exporting from the EU such a hassle when goods are shipped regularly from the USA etc which must involve similar paperwork?

9. snowflake

snowflake Former Albino Ape

Soooo......sorry to go on and on, I thought you could only pay VAT once on new goods?

S

(Again probably wrong )

10. simonj

simonj pfm Member

Yes once on new, so the EU retailer removes it at sale and you pay on import to the UK instead. However on used goods you pay again, you can;t reclaim the VAT or not pay the VAT charged when it was new, say 2 years ago etc... New is kind of OK, just a bit of extra paperwork and maybe an extra processing fee, but used VAT is effectively paid twice once by the original buyer at new and then again when you import it..

Sonny Beauceron and twotone like this.
  11. coltrane

coltrane electrobaroCKjazzer

what's strange to me is as follows:
    - sold a 2nd-hand item worth £205 (on paper) from the EU shipped to the UK - the buyer didn't have to pay any customs fee/duties/VAT/ etc.
    - bought a 2nd-hand item worth £170 (real value) from the UK shipped to the EU - had to pay 5% customs (administration) fee and 20% VAT
    so what? (scratch...)

12. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

Will have to bring things in hidden under the duty free booze and fags or in a hidden compartment in your motorhome....

[​IMG][​IMG]

stephen bennett likes this.
  13. clap

clap pfm Member

To me it sounds like the UK Government is getting paid what is due whereas the EU aren't.

14. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Only second hand goods.

From Thomann in Germany.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/faq_question_information_for_non_eu_countries.html

My brother lives in the US and sent me some vinyl labelled as 'birthday present' I still had to pay VAT and other charges.

twotone likes this.
  15. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

I'm so glad we have taken back control, it means we can only buy British, like old Marg told us to.

16. misterdog

Because the EU wanted to cause as much difficulty as possible by not agreeing a deal until the day before.
    They wanted to show any other countries thinking of leaving how difficult they can make it.

lawrence001 and Spider like this.
  17. Antifon

Antifon pfm Member

But Doris told us that it was all "Project Fear", so it can't be happening - he had all of the answers, didn't he?

18. misterdog

Nothing of the sort.

I can buy a Benchmark AHB2 amplifier from Thomann (link above) and pay import VAT for less than I could buy it from the UK distributor.

Or I could buy it from the US (where it is manufactured) and pay import duty and VAT for even less.

You need to know the system.

19. Luceo non uro

Luceo non uro pfm Member

A little update on my purchase. Townshends arrived today and no additional costs to pay. However, the seller had written that they were sub-£100 headphones on the form instead - not sure if that helped avoid any charges. If so, well done him!

20. misterdog

No, all the answers are on PFM. but you need to know which are correct.