Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying from Germany

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by spamnap, Feb 7, 2021.

1. spamnap

spamnap pfm Member

Hi,
    I have my eye on a couple of items on Ebay value around £100 each, I was wondering if anyone has had stuff from EU recently and if so were there any surpises re import and other charges?

Thanks

2. simonj

simonj pfm Member

I think you’ll not be charged duty, but you’ll still be charged VAT and any courier admin charge for collecting VAT.
    If it’s new and the seller is a VAT registered shop, they should be able to not charge local VAT so you’re only charged once, but if it 2nd hand you’ll effectively be charged VAT again. :(

Sonny Beauceron likes this.
  3. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

Yes - from Germany. I didn’t pay the 19% German tax, paid 20% VAT and a few quid to UPS for sorting the paperwork. Seemed fair enough. But, that was a new item and over the (£135, I think) limit.

4. simonj

simonj pfm Member

5. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

eBay automatically add VAT now. Just bought from Belgium and it went on without the seller doing anything.

6. simonj

simonj pfm Member

I think it does if they use the ebay shipping program thing, but it may not if you don’t. I just sold some speakers to a guy in Europe and he was not charged VAT by eBay or expecting it either which is a bit contentious...

7. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

Interesting, it was a dealer (I think) that I bought from so probably did use eBay shipping program thing.
    I'm glad I bought a kit from Germany in December, saved all this horror.

8. simonj

simonj pfm Member

Yes I was thinking of getting some kit from Germany, one dealer will still send to the UK but another has removed UK as a destination..

spamnap likes this.
  9. spamnap

spamnap pfm Member

I will hold off this till I can get some more info from ebay. The seller I was looking at was private I think so maybe not have to pay vat?
    It's a bit of a mess really

simonj likes this.
  10. simonj

simonj pfm Member

If it’s imported doesn’t matter if new or used, private or a shop, you’ll still pay VAT on price of goods (including postage as well I think), so much for a trade deal, that just means no duty, VAT still charged which I was very surprised at. I mean all that extra paperwork on each item must be costing a fortune. Almost makes it not worth looking at used kit from the EU now..

stephen bennett, spamnap and clap like this.
  11. spamnap

spamnap pfm Member

Yes Simon that's how I feel about it. I wonder how the EU sellers feel about it (pissed off I expect lol)

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

It’s destroyed the amateur s/h market beyond the confines of this island.

13. Luceo non uro

Luceo non uro pfm Member

I should find out in the next day or two if my second-hand Townshend supertweeters coming from Spain will have any nasty hidden charges.

I actually made the purchase in December, but they’ve been languishing in depots on both sides of the pond since then. If there’s extra charges it will have been a pointless buy and I could have almost bought them new from UK. Would certainly have received them quicker.

You live and learn.

spamnap likes this.
  14. snowflake

snowflake Former Albino Ape

I could be clearly wrong here, but I thought used goods (alongside books/music manuscripts) did not attract import duty or VAT (from anywhere) ?

Or possibly the goods are new :)

S

15. spamnap

spamnap pfm Member

I have noticed a few companies in the EU have already ceased selling to the UK because of the way our government is handling the situation,
    needs to be sorted and soon

16. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

In fairness I don’t think this is the UK government’s fault, the EU are using a little longer derogation period until they apply the same processes.

This (unfortunately from my POV) was a very hard Brexit. There are no tariffs but there are customs and customs charges. And of course the VAT issue which will add (or reduce) 20% to/off the cost of s/h transactions.

This is the difference between a trade deal and a customs union.

.sjb

jay, stephen bennett, simonj and 2 others like this.
  17. duckworp

duckworp pfm Member

VAT is payable on imports whether new or second-hand. Buying second-hand from Europe is no longer really viable.

nmtjb, twotone, simonj and 1 other person like this.
  18. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I was going to buy a Shanlin CD player (new) from France last week, the price on the website was 219 euros plus postage however when I inputted my location (UK) the price dropped to about 178 euros plus 19 euros postage but there was no information on what the total cost would have been if I'd have gone ahead with the purchase so I didn't bother.

I'm presuming that 20% vat would have been charged on the CDP & vat on the postage charges, plus a handling fee, plus customs charges.

There's a seller on Ebay.co.uk selling the same CD player at £163 plus £62 postage from China but I've no idea if there would have been additional vat or customs charges to pay with that one either so I ended up not bothering and gave up.

19. simonj

simonj pfm Member

Euro purchases = + VAT on goods & postage + courier handling charge. Purchase from USA or other parts of world = + Duty ( say 1-4 %) + VAT (20%) + handling charge (say £10-15)..

twotone and Amber Audio like this.
  20. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

ouch so buying from EU is now no longer cost effective then? thats a bummer

Sonny Beauceron likes this.