advertisement

Buying a new CD player in 2023

In the opening post it says no laser mech replacement exists for the Naim CDi. Is this categorically the case? Can't his current laser mech be repaired?

Rega will save two mechs (as spare) for each player sold. (top of the range player for sure)

Esoteric & Accuphase have superb mechs and sound great as does Luxman I am told.

Some people say (experts usually) that music from a player will always sound better that the ripped copy.

Esoteric & Accuphase have superb mechs and sound great as does Luxman I am told.

Impressive build quality, butI confess I've never encountered an Esoteric CDP which got me particularly moist. I'll concede that this likely because I've almost always encountered them in the type of systems which leave me cold. Never heard one at home.

On one occasion I did hear a comparison with a Reimyo CDP through an Accuphase amp and Avalon speakers, and thought the Reimyo was more organic sounding. The Esoteric was a bit more 'hifi.'

I will admit to finding that things which look big and shiny invariably sound big and shiny. Heard an Accuphase CDP at the same time, better (and prettier) than the Esoteric, but still preferred the Reimyo overall.

It's not available new; hasn't been for a good few years. OP wants a new player. It's a shame Luxman dropped their mid range SACD players; their least expensive, the D07x, is £10k.
It’s on the Luxman uk website. I pasted that this a.m. Does it say ‘not available’. ? Sry if so.

As Laurie Anderson once sang...

"Cause only an expert can see there's a problem
And seeing the problem is half the problem.
Cause only an expert can deal with the problem.
Only an expert can deal with the problem."

Rega Saturn. I preferred it to the CDX/XPS. Not as dynamic but much more coherent, musical and forgiving of poor disks.

I've not heard the CDI but I like the original CDS and I assume it's similar?

Yes, every inch a single box CDS, and better musically (as opposed to superficial hi-fi terms) than CDX, with or without XPS... IMO.

The CDI is still repairable, just not by Naim :) Do you know if it’s a CDM4 or CDM9 based machine? I’d happily fix it for you, but am in Swissieland. If he does buy new, I’d also buy the faulty CDI - great machines.

Richard

The reason I recommended the Audial, of course it won’t be considered, is because it’s a superb implementation of the TDA 1541 chip, just like the CDI, the CDS and to a lesser extent the CD3. Also, if you buy separate transport and dac only half your CD player is likely to break at any one time.

I was in the same boat in the last few years, when separately my range-topping Naim and then later, Linn CD players started acting up, and soon became expensive door stops due to their makers’ obsession with streaming products (and their associated built-in obsolescence) which I had no interest in whatsoever, having invested in CD since 1984.

At that point I moved back to Quad for what would be a serviceable CD player in one system and a Rega player in the other.

I suspect there will be someone in the UK that could fix that Cdi.
New Exposure 3510 on the way will be very good I'm sure.
Or an Audiolab 9000cdt plus Chord Qutest ?
Or for lots more money , 9000cdt and Chord TT2. Superb.

Good shout, except the Audial is better than Chord DACs below Dave and much more similar in presentation to the CDI since it’s the same chip. Anyway, I’ll leave it there.

The now discontinued Creek 50CD player uses the same Wolfson DACs in dual differential mode as a lot of the top rated current Rega players.

Yes a Creek 50CD would be second-hand but possibly a bargain ex-demo.

Good shout, except the Audial is better than Chord DACs below Dave and much more similar in presentation to the CDI since it’s the same chip. Anyway, I’ll leave it there.
Audial must be some dac. Chord TT2 is absolutely superb. Probably at limits of my hearing good. Dont think even a Dave or Mscaler would make financial sense and suspect any difference that I would notice wouldn't be that much really. Thats what I'm telling myself.
I have owned a Naim Cdi before. Liked it a lot. TT2 is on a completely different level, and so it should be. As is my old Opus 21. The Audiolab 9000cdt/ Tt2 has not long replaced my long term Naim Cds3. Another great player.
I suspect the current BM Dac3 hgc would be another cracking dac. Was thinking about one but a pre owned Tt2 came up locally.
I reckon Op will have to go try listen to some stuff. So much choice , and so many opinions.

advertisement

Back