advertisement

Burning plastic smell from TV?

Fatmarley

"It appears my intelligence circuits have melted"
We've had our LCD TV for a few years, and yesterday I noticed a burning plastic smell in the living room that went away when I turned the TV off. Even after the patio doors were left open to remove the smell from the room, I noticed that I can still smell it if I put my nose close to the vents at the back of the TV.

Any Ideas of what it could be?

have you got a smoke detector in the vicinity?

Do you have young children and/or animals in the vicinity who sensitive lungs might be damaged by the fumes from burning plastic?

Have you got a fire extinguisher handy, suitable for electrical fires?

If it is the power supply I'm curious to know exactly what part would cause this. I'm wondering if it's the transformer?
It's probably an SMPS rather than a trad linear power supply. SMPS s are made to a cost, with components just about good enough to get them out of the shop. When they go pop that's it. Something like a fried capacitor, or one that's about to fry, would produce this smell, and take out the SMPS. How many SMPS based phone chargers have you seen give up? Computer PSUs? In my case a couple, comparted to a (much more expensive) linear PSU that lasts for typically 20-30 years before (guess what) a capacitor gives up and the thing typically fries the bridge rectifier.

Oh, and your TV is FUBAR.

have you got a smoke detector in the vicinity?

Do you have young children and/or animals in the vicinity who sensitive lungs might be damaged by the fumes from burning plastic?

Have you got a fire extinguisher handy, suitable for electrical fires?

The TV has been switched off since I noticed the smell.

We've had our LCD TV for a few years, and yesterday I noticed a burning plastic smell in the living room that went away when I turned the TV off. Even after the patio doors were left open to remove the smell from the room, I noticed that I can still smell it if I put my nose close to the vents at the back of the TV.

Any Ideas of what it could be?

You weren't watching Question Time were you?

Check your insurance covers fire started by electrical appliances.

We lost a third of the hens in one of our henhouses once. All the birds in the top tier of cages died from heat stress when the fans stopped.

The fan control box failed, with several burnt components. This was sufficient for insurer to pay out on the fire part of the policy.

After that over temperature alarms were fitted.

Without taking a look its difficult to say but its most likely the internal smps thats fried. The thing is this may have taken a lot of other stuff out as well and you won't know until someone has had a look inside. Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Cheers,

DV

Unfortunately TVs are less repairable than they used to be. Our family ITT KB was repaired several times in it's lifetime. This included the time my sister backed an armchair into it knocking it over. Apparently one of the PCBs was cracked, wire links bridged the cracks and normal service was resumed for quite a few more years.

advertisement

Back