advertisement

Bump the Beaky! Bump the Beaky!

Marchbanks

Hat and Beard member
It crossed my mind today that I hadn’t played ‘Soused’ since I changed to big Tannoys last year. And my goodness, it sounds immense! I read that Scott and the engineers took to wearing earplugs but still loved experiencing the volume physically...

But what the hell does ‘Bump the Beaky’ mean? I’m assuming papal/Catholic subject matter, and that Scott is assuming we will be interested enough to follow his train of thought into the Comparative Religion section of our local library. Or have I got it wrong and he picked some nice sounding words from a list à la Jon Anderson, with ‘Man, it’s freaky’ and ‘Cock-a-leekie’ not quite making the cut?

Remember this is an internet forum so tell me the answer anyway, even if you don’t have a clue.

From the ether...

"Scott Walker continues to elude categorization or any clear definition with the release of "Soused", a collaboration with Sunn O))), notable drone irritators from Seattle. However, what no-one was expecting was the inclusion of subliminal messaging and other techniques, and what the messages would contain.

In the track, "Brando", there are binaural beats, oscillating at 37Hz, a frequency that can produce feelings of anxiety and arousal, as well as paranoia. On "Herod 2014", there are super-slowed reversed vocals that state "Once went the chicken, all fell before the peeled-off batter." Perhaps such things as these are to be expected.

However, it is the track "Bull" that provides the single greatest revelation. Within it, among all the "Bump the beaky" cries, are slowed backwards masking of the line "Here, puss! Here Puss-puss! Here puss-puss-pussy!"

Further, when placed under spectrographic analysis, the track reveals to have an image embedded within it: not the eponumous Bull, but a picture of an adorable kitten!

No-one at 4AD has yet commented upon these discoveries, but a source close to Walker has said: "Scott loves his little pussy. It keeps him so warm. Why shouldn't he express his love in this way?"

The album also contains hidden references to nursery rhymes, although heavily corrupted to impart bawdy knowledge.

It seems that Scott Walker is indeed a man of many layers."

advertisement

Back