advertisement

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

James, hopefully not too much of a tangent but did you ever look into extending the Ergo E-IX closed box with a parasitic bass compartment as Rega did with their little Alyas?

Have you started your PFM-Special build yet?
I've got a fair bit of woodworking gear, but not enough to build the Specials. I was about to join a local woodworking workshop when the pandemic hit. That's why I'm willing to do this Ergo side project. ;)

James, hopefully not too much of a tangent but did you ever look into extending the Ergo E-IX closed box with a parasitic bass compartment as Rega did with their little Alyas?
Nope, I wanted to keep the box ultra compact at 9L.

FWIW I have designed some tapered quarter wavelength transmission lines for this design. Using the same baffle width and driver placement the crossover should be usable as is with 'perhaps' a small tweak needed, if any, for change in baffle step properties. These have modeled 3db down at about 50Hz. So with room gain they should go 6 Hz or so lower than the original versions. if you are using the originals on stands then this moving to this floorstanding TQWT might make sense. If you need speakers on bookshelves then the originals are brilliant, as is. That's what they were made for. I'll let you now how these work as I progress. The trouble now is finding time to do the build. BTW. these are slender folded lines and need to be raised a bit to get the tweeters at ear level. That rise is done using a cavity in the base that will be filled with sand.

If you guys that are interested in a GB make a list like this.

Name : Stefan
Forum Name: Orangeart
Cabinet kit : Yes
Drivers : Yes
Crossover components : Yes
Crossover build and test : Yes
Cabinet/full build : full build please

I can work out what price breaks I can sort out.

Stefan

Hi Stefan

I’m at Stage ‘definite maybe’ because we’ve moved and I don’t have a workspace yet, but if there’s enough interest for a discount I’ll buy and store!

Name : Rick
Forum Name: hc25036
Crossover build and test : Yes
Cabinet/full build : Flat pack plus the ancillary fittings/wire/glue...

Rick

And another maybe, all on the price I'm afraid.

And lots of trouble for having far too many speakers. :)

Hi Stefan,

Name : Dan
Forum Name: vinylspin
Cabinet kit : Yes (would also like quote without cabinet if possible)
Crossover build and test : No
Cabinet/full build : Flat pack plus my pleasure of assembling them :)

Is the supplied crossover for free space or against a wall positioning (if I remember correctly these were the options when James covered the original build)?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
Name : Mike Hanson
Forum Name: Mike Hanson
Drivers : No
Crossover build and test : Yes/maybe
Cabinet/full build : No

Do you have a link to the crossover parts list?

Last edited:
@chiily can you fill out your desires like the other 2 so I know what I'm aiming at?

Name : Garf
Forum Name: chiily
Cabinet/full build : Just flat pack...I can do the wires and connectors :)

It looks like "most" of those parts are available from https://www.parts-express.com, but three are out of stock. Perhaps I should just get you to source them all, and we can benefit from possible bulk purchase quantities. Given that, I'm also with Garf on the build option of "Yes/Maybe".

I'm still not sure on the drivers and shipping. I can definitely get them from Madisound, but shipping is USD$57. I suspect the incremental shipping cost to include them with the rest of the bits probably wouldn't be much more than that from the UK to Canada, especially given the lower cost of the drivers. Your thoughts?

I can't edit my earlier post, so here's an updated spec:

Name : Mike Hanson
Forum Name: Mike Hanson
Drivers : Yes, provided shipping isn't stupidly expensive

Are you able to give a ball park price for everything apart from cabinets? those I can do.

Pete

Name : pete maddex
Forum Name: pete MB&D
Cabinet kit : no
Drivers : yes
Crossover build and test : no

Pete

advertisement

Back