advertisement

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

It's amazing how much bass comes out of these little boxes, and the quality is very clean as well. The integration between the large tweeters and the potent mid drivers creates a sense of completeness that soothes any desire for a gut punch woofer. I probably spend more time enjoying my IXs than listening to my big system.
In a direct comparison with a pair of Yamaha NS-1000Ms, the E-IX actually sound more fulsome according to @RustyB and a whole lot more coherent. It is the reason I invested in Troels Gravesen's upgrade crossovers for the Yamahas, which I in progress. It is just not right that a 12" three way can be usurped by a tiny tot of a loudspeaker such as the E-IXs.

I've lost count of the number of E-IXs out in the wild. I'll create a new thread in the main audio room for owners (past and present) to reveal themselves, and answer a couple of questions - for research purposes ;)

Given that Stefan is currently not making any Ergo IX cabinets at the moment, I think I can fairly offer a set of spare cabinets. These might help someone without wood skills or equipment. I do not want to step on any ones toes. I built these when I was a Technology teacher with access to CNC equipment so these are accurate and square, made from 18mm Birch ply. I built 4 sets on the CNC; one of which I used myself, one set I gave to my son to build his E-IX's and the third set ended up with a friend of mine which he then built. So 3 sets used ,one spare . I have glued them together but not glued in the fronts or backs. I ended up gluing the backs of mine in and accessed everything via the front , My mate went the other way and glued in the fronts accessing the rear. I built the front baffle with the tweeters straight above the driver units in 18mm ply and also made grills. My mate did not want grills so he used the grills as a spacer behind the baffle to get the speaker front flush with the cabinets.

Last edited:
Hi JimmyB - thumbs up for your avatar, I spent many, many hundreds of hours engrossed in avoiding pirates, upgrading armour, weapons and looking for alien artefacts ;-)

@James sorry to dig up an old thread on my first post to the forum. But I have been looking for a speaker and your Ergo IX pretty much fits the bill as I like the “close to wall” implementation compared to other similar designs (Troel’s Revelator 4R/51, Carmody’s Carrera etc.) and I am a Morel tweeter fan (last build was a three way with SB WO24P-4, Morel EM1308 and Morel ET448).

Before I commit to a build I thought I just ask you and the group if you have or know of a TMM or MTM design based on the Ergo IX ?

Thanks in advance for comments, ideas and thoughts.

Before I commit to a build I thought I just ask you and the group if you have or know of a TMM or MTM design based on the Ergo IX ?
Not that I'm aware of. I did consider a tribute to the Linn Kaber with an MTM variant, but never got around to it.

I always wanted to see a 2 1/2-way version.

Is the Scan woofer OOP?
The 15W/8530K01 is still in production, according to Scan-speak's webpages.

I built a slightly larger 2.5-way system in the E-IV, which has a pair of Seas CA18RLY mid-woofers. I think there are three pairs out in the wild. I wish I never sold mine.

Hello everyone :)

I just finish my Ergo IX speakers and I did some upgrade to the crossover with great result
Hope I can attach some pictures but it seems not so I will add the link to youtube where I put some videos

Best regards,
Marian

Hello everyone :)

I just finish my Ergo IX speakers and I did some upgrade to the crossover with great result
Hope I can attach some pictures but it seems not so I will add the link to youtube where I put some videos

Best regards,
Marian
I'm not a lover of white, but those look very nice. Bravo!

Timely thread reappearance! Just noticed some ‘tizziness’ on voice and piano on one speaker of my Ergo lXs. First noticed on fairly loud piano, but definitely there on unaccompanied voice too. Any thoughts a to cause or necessary investigations? No loose screws…

advertisement

Back