advertisement

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

There can only be one outcome supplementing a sealed 2nd order loudspeaker system with a ported 4th order bass unit, and it's not a good one. I can only encourage you to reconsider, or at the very least if you must try, have a way of disconnecting the latter. The E-IX has a balance of bass quality and quantity that belies its homegrown roots and diminutive size.
The bass i=from the ergos is remarkable for theor size. But still missing a small bit. What if I used a 2nd order for the high pass at the natural rollof freq for a net 4th order, and then used a 4th order for the low pass? I imaginbe that coud be made to work well. Any thoughts? My next step is to finish the subs and I was thinking this would be the way to go. In all fairness, my subs would just add that last octave from approx 33 to 66Hz. But I think it could be worth it if done right. I'm thinking of useg the Pass DIY JFET actibve crossover. Or possibly even using passive components for the high pass ahead of the main amps.

The bass i=from the ergos is remarkable for theor size. But still missing a small bit. What if I used a 2nd order for the high pass at the natural rollof freq for a net 4th order, and then used a 4th order for the low pass? I imaginbe that coud be made to work well. Any thoughts? My next step is to finish the subs and I was thinking this would be the way to go. In all fairness, my subs would just add that last octave from approx 33 to 66Hz. But I think it could be worth it if done right. I'm thinking of useg the Pass DIY JFET actibve crossover. Or possibly even using passive components for the high pass ahead of the main amps.
I'm not a big fan of subs. Unless the roll-off of the mid-woofer follows a target and complementary transfer function, all bets are off. I can only suggest you try it and see if you like the results. I won't be holding my breath. The E-IX already punches well above their weight.

I would not recommend using a passive filter ahead of your main amp (presumably for the E-IXs).

I use a DIY active sub with DSP. It uses a Hypex module and you can then with a calibrated microphone and the Hypex configuration software set all the filter types, slopes etc as well as phase. I run mine from the second set of speaker terminals on my amp (JVC AX2010), so it can be switched in and out with the remote. It integrates really well IMHO and detracts nothing from the superb Ergo IX, just adds a little more bottom oomph that you don't notice is missing till you engage it.

I use a DIY active sub with DSP. It uses a Hypex module and you can then with a calibrated microphone and the Hypex configuration software set all the filter types, slopes etc as well as phase. I run mine from the second set of speaker terminals on my amp (JVC AX2010), so it can be switched in and out with the remote. It integrates really well IMHO and detracts nothing from the superb Ergo IX, just adds a little more bottom oomph that you don't notice is missing till you engage it.
Yup, a DSP-based active crossover is a great way to integrate a sub.

So are you running the Ergos full range and using the DSP to tune just the low pass? Is that correct?

I'm not a big fan of subs. Unless the roll-off of the mid-woofer follows a target and complementary transfer function, all bets are off. I can only suggest you try it and see if you like the results. I won't be holding my breath. The E-IX already punches well above their weight.

I would not recommend using a passive filter ahead of your main amp (presumably for the E-IXs).
I hear you James ... on all points. I get it. But I think I have enough of the proper tools and skills in my bag of tricks to do it right. And if it does not come out just right then I won't use the subs. BTW,I respectfully disagree on the passive in front of the main amp. I can do an MLS on the E-IX woofs and get an exact phase and amplitude response. Then measure the input impedance of the amps in the crossover reagion and model and build a 2nd order passive to yield a 4th order at the natiral rolloff point. Then just tweak the sub with a 4th order until it sounds just right. I think it's all very doable. I'd like to avoid putting additional active electronics in the E-IX signal path. But we'll see what happens. The bottom line is the sound. If I can get it all to sound right then I keep it, else I keep playing with it or abandon the idea.

Mike, what did you use for the DSP?
I've been playing with the MiniDSP 4x10 and UMIK-2 calibrated microphone. I eventually plan to use it as an active crossover (and preamp) for my upcoming PFM Special build. In the meantime, it's been a toy. ;)

Last edited:
I still have not hooked up the subwoofers. The Ergos are fully broken in and sound great. Will the subs make them much better? Maybe, but I haven't felt the need to find out yet.

I still have not hooked up the subwoofess. The Ergos are fully broken in and sound great. Will the subs make them much better? Maybe, but I haven't felt the beed to find out yet.
Bass extension primarily add a sense of scale and effortlessness. However, subs could also smear the excellent timing. I would be wary myself.

Unless the last octave really matters to what you’re listening to, you won’t miss any of the gravitas normally associated with subs. Midbass circa 50-100hz is where bass weight is most apparent. The E-IXs do not fall short in this region.

It is worth noting that the low E string on a bass is ~40Hz, so one hopes to hear some of that. I believe the Ergo IX manages it, even if it's a bit rolled off.

It's amazing how much bass comes out of these little boxes, and the quality is very clean as well. The integration between the large tweeters and the potent mid drivers creates a sense of completeness that soothes any desire for a gut punch woofer. I probably spend more time enjoying my IXs than listening to my big system.

advertisement

Back