advertisement

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

Just a thought, would it be ok to use 18mm x 130mm walnut or light oak square skirting boards and join them together with biscuits as probably much easier to source? If I recall correctly James used some narrow-ish walnut boards and biscuit joined them for some of the Ergo IX's he built.

Yes, jointed boards should be fine. Some species of timber are difficult to source in 260mm+ widths.

James

James,
Please, pardon my ignorance but I can't find any info about the coordinates of the woofer center. It should be in the middle of the 166mm-wide baffle but at what height, please?
Thanks,
Ivo

Yes I am interested I want a bookshelf size speaker for my second system and I like the look of these particularly in Walnut ;)
Alan

I hope you really have premium speakers in your first system, otherwise, you may end up integrating the E-IXs in your first and not your 2nd system ;)

Done it, learnt a lot, had lots of fun and gained enormous respect for good wood-workers like James

Ergo 9 side by mrphil42, on Flickr

How do they sound? - very, very good. Were they difficult to make? - yes, but with some luck and some skill you can get some speakers for £600 which sound superb and look good. Have a go

That's primo Phil. Well done. I hope the grille is detachable for 'serious listening'. ;-)

Certainly is. It does introduce a slight veiling to the sound but I don't like seeing the bits

I'd love to attempt something like this, but I think that my joint work would come out a lot like Phil's stonework (though beautiful in that scenario!)

They look great in front of the stone.

;-)

I didn't do any woodwork joints (thanks for compliments about stonework - I didn't do it!), it is an MDF box with butt joints glued with Resin W and clamped for a couple of hours. Front and back are glued in but against battens, front is 25mm, rest is 18mm. There are no nails, screws etc in the basic box. I used Isopon car body filler for gaps. Do it one stage at a time, MDF is cheap enough, have a go, happy to share tools / techniques

Thread resurrection alert.

Does anyone in NW England (I'm in Wirral) have a pair of these they'd be willing to demo? I'm still very tempted to build a pair but would like to hear some first. I know there's going to be some at the Kegworth show, so that's an option, but I thought I'd see if there were any nearer to home?

ta

Another thread resurrection!

Has anyone purchased Ergo's via https://www.kjfaudio.com ?
I had a quote from Audio Components Ltd about 8-9 years ago, but did not complete the purchase and I believe they are no longer trading. Does anyone know if the Ergo drivers and crossover components are available in the UK?

Another thread resurrection!

Has anyone purchased Ergo's via https://www.kjfaudio.com ?
I had a quote from Audio Components Ltd about 8-9 years ago, but did not complete the purchase and I believe they are no longer trading. Does anyone know if the Ergo drivers and crossover components are available in the UK?

Yep, bought some earlier this year. Very easy and pleasant to deal with. I haven't finished them yet as the french polishing is taking longer than I thought.

Great to hear, perhaps some photos to show the progress here..
Did you have to pay any import fees and how much if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

I still do have some of the kits available, yes although they don't sell very well. Just the odd one to those who come across these posts. Great speakers these I think. James did a great job, I ran a pair for a while.

Stefan

advertisement

Back