advertisement

building tannoys...beginners help please

On the topic of internal damping, I've never been absolutely sure of the purpose it serves and what frequencies it needs to absorb. I see lots of enclosures lined with either flat or "egg crate" grey acoustic foam, the kind of stuff that's generally considered to be useless if used as broadband room treatment absorption. Only a small number of DIY speaker builds use rockwool as the damping material. I'm curious as to why it isn't more widely used?

On the topic of internal damping, I've never been absolutely sure of the purpose it serves and what frequencies it needs to absorb. I see lots of enclosures lined with either flat or "egg crate" grey acoustic foam, the kind of stuff that's generally considered to be useless if used as broadband room treatment absorption. Only a small number of DIY speaker builds use rockwool as the damping material. I'm curious as to why it isn't more widely used?

For ported speakers it's used to reduce reflections and standing waves. For sealed it's also can be used to lower Qtc (reduce the midbass hump you often get with high q speakers). There's quite an extensive study in the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook on various types and densities of stuffing material.

I haven't seen any studies on rockwool, but I'm sure I read somewhere (probably Classic Speaker Pages) that Acoustic research started off using fibreglass but had to change to rockwool for some reason, and weren't as happy with it.

Here's a link to Troels Gravesen guide to cabinet damping - http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/cabinet-damping.htm

prelims all done and dusted I think., Guess what...suitable end for me in this thread. I intend to start a new thread devoted just to building them, with pics, problem solving as I go. so I hope all those people who have helped so much here will pop over there occasionally and dig me out of the various holes I fall into ;)
see you at ' Building 120L cabs for 12"Tannoy Monitor Golds'

half an hour to extract the contents from Cooky's bomb proof packaging! Well worth the trouble. I'm starting a polystyrene shop if anyone needs any :)

packaging explosion by John Dutfield, on Flickr

Almost a year later and I'm wondering if this project was finished? Have some HPD315s to house at some point so interested in the outcome.

advertisement

Back