Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Building LS3/5a 'Clones'

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Martyn Miles, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

So, are my loudspeakers clones? The B110s are matched to the T27s, the crossovers are the same as Falcon Acoustics utilise in their new LS3/5a speakers. The Harbeth cabinets are effectively LS3/5a ones, as the same cabinets used for the early Harbeth HL-P3s were also the ones used for the Harbeth LS3/5a.
    The grille is Tygan as specified for use with the LS3/5a .

As for me being my brother's clone, we are twins...

2. stuwils

stuwils pfm Member

looks like yours are Ls3/5a's martyn. original spec drive units, tailored crossover and birch ply is what an ls3/5a is. MDF, monacur,scanspeak etc is just an other small loudspeaker.

Rgds
    Stuart

3. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Almost finished...
    I will post my findings this coming week, after some listening sessions.

4. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Now up and running.
    They are superb. That midrange magic, seamless mid. to top and well-known bass.
    More of my impressions on the PFM 'Classic' section.

To quote that often over-used expression, ' I am well pleased '.

5. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

photo request

6. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I have loaded images on the Yahoo LS3/5a Site, the most appropriate place to put them.

The site is worth joining, as other subjects apart from the little BBC speakers are often discussed.

M. Miles.

7. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

As a 'revival' of this thread, I have a pair of Rogers Studio 3 cabinets. With Speakon connectors, rather than the usual 4mm terminals. Grilles, but no front baffles.
    Of course, LS3/5a baffles will fit...
    So it is off on another project and it will be fun deciding on how this one will go.
    Has anyone out there made up anything in the 'LS3/5a Clone' area recently. I am open ideas.

8. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I am making up an LS3/5a Clone and decided to try the Moldovan cabinets.
    They're very well made.
    I've bought some Bitumen Damping and ordered the foam lining from Falcon Acoustics.
    I have acquired a Stirling Broadcast Kit 1 and a pair of Richard Allen D20 tweeters. These are sized the same as Kef T27s. I will experiment with settings for these.
    Now I have Harbeth P3-ESRs and Falcon Acoustics LS3/5as, these Clones will be an interesting listen...

9. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

You may have to fiddle with the battens when it's time to screw everything together. I had to file away some relief to make the woofers fit, and also had to remove some screws (the battens are screwed-and-glued) that interfered with the mounting screws for the baffles.

So do a dry fitting before you install the damping, in case you have to make sawdust.

10. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Thank you for the advice.

11. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

After five years these little wonders have returned to me.
    I was missing that unique LS3/5a ‘sound’ and they became available.
    It’s like welcoming an old friend home after a long journey...