advertisement

Building LS3/5a 'Clones'

I love it when someone uses the term clone for a speaker using different drive units, cabinet and crossovers LOL . I must be my brother's clone as we are both male.
Rgds
Stuart

So, are my loudspeakers clones? The B110s are matched to the T27s, the crossovers are the same as Falcon Acoustics utilise in their new LS3/5a speakers. The Harbeth cabinets are effectively LS3/5a ones, as the same cabinets used for the early Harbeth HL-P3s were also the ones used for the Harbeth LS3/5a.
The grille is Tygan as specified for use with the LS3/5a .

As for me being my brother's clone, we are twins...

looks like yours are Ls3/5a's martyn. original spec drive units, tailored crossover and birch ply is what an ls3/5a is. MDF, monacur,scanspeak etc is just an other small loudspeaker.

Rgds
Stuart

Almost finished...
I will post my findings this coming week, after some listening sessions.

Now up and running.
They are superb. That midrange magic, seamless mid. to top and well-known bass.
More of my impressions on the PFM 'Classic' section.

To quote that often over-used expression, ' I am well pleased '.

As a 'revival' of this thread, I have a pair of Rogers Studio 3 cabinets. With Speakon connectors, rather than the usual 4mm terminals. Grilles, but no front baffles.
Of course, LS3/5a baffles will fit...
So it is off on another project and it will be fun deciding on how this one will go.
Has anyone out there made up anything in the 'LS3/5a Clone' area recently. I am open ideas.

The Stirling kits on eBay are decent, if pricy. They are the same as the older Stirling LS3/5As or the Rogers 60th Anniversary models, and NOT the same as the current Stirling V2. They have Monacor woofers, not SEAS. Oddly, the woofers are dual voice-coil models.

I put a pair of them in the Moldovan cabinets and they do what they're supposed to do. I like them a lot for radio or background music, but there's only so much a 5" woofer can do before you run out of dynamics.

I am making up an LS3/5a Clone and decided to try the Moldovan cabinets.
They're very well made.
I've bought some Bitumen Damping and ordered the foam lining from Falcon Acoustics.
I have acquired a Stirling Broadcast Kit 1 and a pair of Richard Allen D20 tweeters. These are sized the same as Kef T27s. I will experiment with settings for these.
Now I have Harbeth P3-ESRs and Falcon Acoustics LS3/5as, these Clones will be an interesting listen...

I am making up an LS3/5a Clone and decided to try the Moldovan cabinets.
They're very well made.
I've bought some Bitumen Damping and ordered the foam lining from Falcon Acoustics.
I

You may have to fiddle with the battens when it's time to screw everything together. I had to file away some relief to make the woofers fit, and also had to remove some screws (the battens are screwed-and-glued) that interfered with the mounting screws for the baffles.

So do a dry fitting before you install the damping, in case you have to make sawdust.

You may have to fiddle with the battens when it's time to screw everything together. I had to file away some relief to make the woofers fit, and also had to remove some screws (the battens are screwed-and-glued) that interfered with the mounting screws for the baffles.

So do a dry fitting before you install the damping, in case you have to make sawdust.

Thank you for the advice.

Now up and running.
They are superb. That midrange magic, seamless mid. to top and well-known bass.
More of my impressions on the PFM 'Classic' section.

To quote that often over-used expression, ' I am well pleased '.

After five years these little wonders have returned to me.
I was missing that unique LS3/5a ‘sound’ and they became available.
It’s like welcoming an old friend home after a long journey...

advertisement

Back