advertisement

Budget Turntable

ExtremePie

pfm Member
I have just been asked my opinion of the Project Essential 2 by a friend as I guess, a potential Xmas present for her other half. I have no idea about this one, or in fact, about TTs in general, apart from noting that at the time I was deciding whether to go TT or CD (chose CD) 25 years ago the decks available then, now cost more to buy 2nd hand, where as the CDP was worth 3% of it's price when I sold it a couple of years ago!

What would guys suggest as the best buy at £200 for a TT? I don't know whether or not she would not consider vintage, but suspect not. Thanks in advance.

As mentioned in another thread, my younger son is delighted with his Pro-Ject Carbon TT.

He is using an Ortofon Red cartridge at present.

:)

To be brutally honest the essential is really cheaply made, it's not in the same ballpark as the debut carbon. My choice would be the rega RP1, it doesn't cost much more and it's a much better deck and it's a rega so it will last a lifetime.

Very good table for the money but if she can stretch to £300 tell her to get the Rega RP1 with 2M red cartridge. It's a fantastic table and performs like one costing twice as much.

The pro-ject is the best you'll get for £200.

Very good table for the money but if she can stretch to £300 tell her to get the Rega RP1 with 2M red cartridge. It's a fantastic table and performs like one costing twice as much.

The pro-ject is the best you'll get for £200.

If budget is tight, the RP1 can be had for £229 fitted with the carbon cartridge, even with the carbon it's still a much better deck than the essential IMHO.

The Rega RP1 is the best simple plug and play option and for what it costs, a great sounding no fuss little player.

Can't go wrong.

+1 for rega rp1 , it also holds its value than projects so if you want to change up later less of a financial hit

advertisement

Back