advertisement

Budget System Challenge - Speaker Advice

Mr.Nic

pfm Member
OK, for no reason whatsoever I decided to see what sort of a second (budget) system I could build for a total of £500. I don't profess to be a hi-fi expert in any shape or form but I've just kept my eye open for local bargains. So far I've acquired:

• Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2 (£50)
• Rotel RCD-970 BX (£60)
• Mission Cyrus 2 Amp - series 3 (£150)
• Lenco Goldring GL75 with Ortofon Super OM20 Cart (£50)

That leaves me approx £200* to spend on speakers but I'm really not sure what to go for. Any ideas/recommendations gratefully received!

*I can always push the budget further but want to see what bargains are out there to be had. Would also like to get a PSX to add to the Cyrus too if poss.

So many choices but I love Epos speakers so ES14s (bigger) or M5 (smaller) both around £150 for a pair?

Loved the ES14s in a living room but love the M5s more in the kitchen.

Charlie

wouldnt use either of those brands with that amplifier
i would suggest mission 731 or rogers LS2

Thanks, I had wondered about adding some older Missions. Not familiar with the Rogers but they look a good choice (and definitely within budget)

OK, for no reason whatsoever I decided to see what sort of a second (budget) system I could build for a total of £500. I don't profess to be a hi-fi expert in any shape or form but I've just kept my eye open for local bargains. So far I've acquired:

• Rotel RCD-970 BX (£60)

That leaves me approx £200* to spend on speakers but I'm really not sure what to go for. Any ideas/recommendations gratefully received!

*I can always push the budget further but want to see what bargains are out there to be had. Would also like to get a PSX to add to the Cyrus too if poss.
Just picked up a pair of Q acoustic 2020 speakers, maybe a little under budget but i can wholeheartidly reccommend these, they are superb, i only have one working currently (looking out for a tweeter for the other) they have a wonderful expression to them, lots of punch in the bass & midrange with plenty of clear detail, i have recently tried a handful of budget models, epos m5 & epos es11 amongst them, these are far more enjoyable, they have that "this just sounds right" feel about them, you could do a lot worse & are avery easy drive according to my Rotel amp.

Pair on ebay at £79 last time i looked.

Thanks Ragaman, have seen these before - good value but I'm looking for something a bit more substantial. Years ago I got rid of a pair of immaculate Monitor Audio GS10s, ideally I'd like something similar (unfortunately most of the gold series MA's aren't under £200).

Yep, any floorstanders are an option so there's definitely space for 611s!

Had the 611's from new for decades, good speakers (not currently in use). The mark one version with the fake turtle shell top needed a clean amp that can grip the base... not sure if the Cyrus 2 is smooth enough for the treble though...As they use a wave guide (it's a dual concentric unit) and that means the treble can be slightly peaky. I had a ARCAM Delta 290 - but that's a whole new can of worms with the channel selector issue.

One big plus with the 611's was the wide stereo field - so for AV use every one on the sofa gets a good balance.

The more conventional 607 (Stand mount) was an easier match amp wise I believe.

Simon

Thanks Ragaman, have seen these before - good value but I'm looking for something a bit more substantial. Years ago I got rid of a pair of immaculate Monitor Audio GS10s, ideally I'd like something similar (unfortunately most of the gold series MA's aren't under £200).

Old Stand mount MA's? Could try a set of R852/MD a little sleepy, but I am sure the Cyrus 2 would wake them up. Don't bother with the matching stands. Just use Heybrook HS1's. personally I would go for Monitor Audio Monitor 14's though (Slim floor stander)..

Simon

Given the retro nature of the rest of the system I'd go with some nice vintage speakers. There are lots to choose from below £200 from Royd, Heybrook, Castle, Celestion, B&W, Tannoy, AR etc. A lot depends on what is available locally. What size are you thinking? I guess there is potential here from anything from a small pair of stand-mounts, say Royd Edens, through to a chunky BBC sized box such as a Rogers LS7, B&W DM2, or even a hefty 3-way such as the Ditton 33, Goodmans Magister etc.

• Rotel RCD-970 BX (£60)

Hi Mr.Nic,

if I may give advice, but not directly on speakers, I'd say that if you are toying with a budget system (which is a state of mind, not only a money matter I think), I'd avoid upgradeable items... Like the Cyrus amp.

Max

advertisement

Back