advertisement

Budget secondhand standmount speakers

If it were up to me I would have no doubts and I would take the excellent Royd Minstrel at about £150,
but unfortunately SWMBO wants them small, white and glossy, so: Q Acoustics, Markaudio Sota, or .....
None of those would come close to the Minstrels. I wouldn’t be overly excited about the Mark Audio Sota having briefly owned a pair.

None of those would come close to the Minstrels. I wouldn’t be overly excited about the Mark Audio Sota having briefly owned a pair.

Minstrels are amazing at about £150.

What's wrong with Markaudio Sota? Thank you.

Unfortunately, I'm not overly excited with the Q Acoustics as well....:rolleyes:

Minstrels are amazing at about £150.

What's wrong with Markaudio Sota? Thank you.
I bought a pair in red during lockdown for the study. Had them on the end of a Sugden A21. Nothing particularly wrong with them. I thought they sounded a little disjointed which, given they’re a single driver speaker, was not what I was expecting.

To be fair, they were placed on top of a chest of draws and not stands which might or might not have had a impact.

They’re well finished if you like that high gloss look, I don’t really. Found them a bit garish.
Looking back I’m not really sure why I bought them, but I could say that about countless pairs of speakers over the years.

I may soon find myself in the situation of having to sell my Guru Audio QM10 speakers.

Wanting to replace them with something cheaper, what would be the best option for a pair of second hand budget standmount speakers around £ 100/200 max?

I was thinking about the ubiquitous Q Acoustics 3020i, but I have read a lot of positive reviews on the Dali Zensor 1 or maybe the new Spektor 1.

My amp is currently an Arcam A19, but I would like to replace it with a Rega Brio-R.

PS: WAF factor is mandatory (never be against SWMBO).

Thank you.
Mauro
Rega is a bright, lean little thing so would avoid the Dali, top end sticks out quite a bit. Q Acoustics make some nice budget speakers that would be ok with the Rega. Your Arcam amp is fine IMO.

I bought a pair in red during lockdown for the study. Had them on the end of a Sugden A21. Nothing particularly wrong with them. I thought they sounded a little disjointed which, given they’re a single driver speaker, was not what I was expecting.

To be fair, they were placed on top of a chest of draws and not stands which might or might not have had a impact.

They’re well finished if you like that high gloss look, I don’t really. Found them a bit garish.
Looking back I’m not really sure why I bought them, but I could say that about countless pairs of speakers over the years.

Not surprised you found them garish in red! In black or white they look lovely and are beautifully finished. They need to be on stands in my experience. When positioned properly they sound excellent with remarkable imaging and integration. The MBR has a slightly more refined top end than the MB (I’ve had both) but there’s not much in it.

Buy some Minstrels, and spray em white :)

The Q Acoustic 2010i is excellent though, lively and punchy with a surprisingly big sound for their size.

Totem kin minis or the flex if you can find them, they come in white but not gloss, amazing speakers for the size.

I paid £210 a pair for them posted about a year ago (I bought two pairs from a guy who had three pairs for sale) the flex I bought brand new for £250 posted wish I’d bought a pair at the time but didn’t, there’s a couple of places selling them here but for about £550 per speaker.

Same here I hated them.

advertisement

Back