advertisement

Budget-minded PSU for Naim pre-amp

gustav_errata

pfm Member
I'm now strongly considering adding a PSU to my Naim NAC 122X. Given that this is at the budget end of Naim pre-amps and given that my budget is also at the budget end of budgets (say, up to £350 including all necessary cables), I'm weighing the following as the most likely options: Flatcap 2, Flatcap 2X, Teddy Pardo TeddyCap, or Avondale TPX1(?). It looks like the first three can be had for around £250, and the Avondale ones can be cheaper.

I lean towards the TeddyCap for purported bang-for-buck, lack of need for regular servicing, and resale-ability. Maybe this is a dumb question but given that I've seen the TC touted as a replacement for a HiCap DR, would it be a little "too much" for the humble NAC 122X? And is there really much difference in performance between Mk 3 and older models?

The Flatcap 2X is the natural partner, but it seems not to be looked upon too favorably. However, perhaps those opinions are coming down from those in the lofty heights of higher up in the Naim ladder. It (or the FC2) would have the benefit that if they do need servicing, Class A is readily available. Also, when I do decide to move on from my present system, it would be easier (I think) to sell the pre/PSU/power combo than just pre/power. I don't know.

Lastly, I'm not interested in any DIY jobs, as I'm fairly nervous about such things. Are there non-DIY Avondales? It's not clear to me from searching. And how easily can the split signal/power cables be sourced?

What do the PFM massive recommend? Please note that I am resolutely uninterested in replacing the pre-amp at the moment. One day in the future when I can afford a significant step up, yes, but not now when I'm just looking for an incremental boost, so please don't suggest that. I'm just looking to get the most out of what I already have selected as the core of my present system.

I would just get a better pre-amp or run an integrated one. This will give you more options & a better bang for buck.

I would just get a better pre-amp or run an integrated one. This will give you more options & a better bang for buck.

I bought the NAC 122X a couple months ago, and I have yet to sell my NAC 112. For domestic harmony, the 122X is not being replaced for a long time.

Good morning Gustav, I moved from Naim to an all Teddy pre/power system a few years ago and would certainly recommend his products as they will last without recapping, are a lot cheaper and are upgrade proof to a degree with Naim - ie a HiCap is nice but if you move up the chain you may want a Supercap at some point whereas the right Teddy kit will power a 122 or 282 or 252. It is not out of sync with a 122 - I had one myself with a FC2 and then a Dual TC for a while. As you say, the FC2 is not looked on favourably and the DTC was a big improvement.

The FC 2 is OK but price wise you are paying a lot for a box of fresh air. I used the DTC to power a 122 and cd5x at the time and it was a vast improvement to the FC and had good synergy with both products. I tried a HC on the CD 5x and it sounded a bit bloated to me the DTC was just right. You can't go wrong with Teddy power supplies. Naim PSU pricing is just ridiculous these days and represents poor value for money IMO. Some may want matching boxes but it didn't bother me.

Apart from the sound quality and value for money, I loved two things about the Teddycap:
- absolutely NO mechanical noise
- discrete size

In my Naim/Teddy/Avondale days I had Teddycap versions 2 and 3, Avondale TPX2 and Naim Hicap (olive). If I were to go that way again, I would avoid the Hicap (too pricey compared to Teddy and Avondale and sometimes mechanically noisy).

I hi capped a 72 and it was a big improvement (with both a CB Naim and later a Hi Cap DR). Now using 272 with Teddy XPS having previously used a Naim ND5 level power supply. Very happy with the product.

ive compared a hicap, teddy cap and Avondale on nait xs2.. the hicap added drive and weight, the teddy was clean & fast but i thought a bit lean. The avondale tpx was best of both - weight of the hicap and clean like the teddy. That would be where i would spend my money, plus they are small...

ive compared a hicap, teddy cap and Avondale on nait xs2.. the hicap added drive and weight, the teddy was clean & fast but i thought a bit lean. The avondale tpx was best of both - weight of the hicap and clean like the teddy. That would be where i would spend my money, plus they are small...

The form-factor of the Avondale TPX1 (or should I be looking at a different one?) is ideal, since there is some space next to my power amp that would fit it perfectly. However, they don't seem to pop up often (only a DIY one here recently), and they all seem to have the power-only SNAIC, so I'm not sure how to connect everything up. Price seems a bit unpredictable too...TPX1 maybe 250, later ones more like 400?

ah fair enough- -i used on an integrated with a flashback Y connection lead so easier to connect. Good luck with search.[/QUOTE
The form-factor of the Avondale TPX1 (or should I be looking at a different one?) is ideal, since there is some space next to my power amp that would fit it perfectly. However, they don't seem to pop up often (only a DIY one here recently), and they all seem to have the power-only SNAIC, so I'm not sure how to connect everything up. Price seems a bit unpredictable too...TPX1 maybe 250, later ones more like 400?

The Naim connections can be confusing. On the Naim website they have a connections guide which shows how a hi cap ( or 3rd party version ) sits between the pre amp and the power amp. You need two snaics - one 5 to 5 pin and one 4 to 4 - it’s to do with Naim’s views and solution for earthing - all beyond my understanding!

If going with TP, try to get the latest model if possible. I owned the earlier version of the Dual Teddycap and there's not much between the TP and the Hicap DR (I preferred the latter on the 282 though).

I read about the Avondale combining the strengths of the Naim and TP elsewhere and hifi-dog just confirmed on it. I presume either one will add something positive to the NAC 122X.

I'm now strongly considering adding a PSU to my Naim NAC 122X. Given that this is at the budget end of Naim pre-amps and given that my budget is also at the budget end of budgets (say, up to £350 including all necessary cables), I'm weighing the following as the most likely options: Flatcap 2, Flatcap 2X, Teddy Pardo TeddyCap, or Avondale TPX1(?). It looks like the first three can be had for around £250, and the Avondale ones can be cheaper.

I lean towards the TeddyCap for purported bang-for-buck, lack of need for regular servicing, and resale-ability. Maybe this is a dumb question but given that I've seen the TC touted as a replacement for a HiCap DR, would it be a little "too much" for the humble NAC 122X? And is there really much difference in performance between Mk 3 and older models?

The Flatcap 2X is the natural partner, but it seems not to be looked upon too favorably. However, perhaps those opinions are coming down from those in the lofty heights of higher up in the Naim ladder. It (or the FC2) would have the benefit that if they do need servicing, Class A is readily available. Also, when I do decide to move on from my present system, it would be easier (I think) to sell the pre/PSU/power combo than just pre/power. I don't know.

Lastly, I'm not interested in any DIY jobs, as I'm fairly nervous about such things. Are there non-DIY Avondales? It's not clear to me from searching. And how easily can the split signal/power cables be sourced?

What do the PFM massive recommend? Please note that I am resolutely uninterested in replacing the pre-amp at the moment. One day in the future when I can afford a significant step up, yes, but not now when I'm just looking for an incremental boost, so please don't suggest that. I'm just looking to get the most out of what I already have selected as the core of my present system.

Do notice you need two Snaic cables (4 & 5 Pin) if you run Naim power amp ?
Buying new from Naim and your budget is more or less gone.
Not sure if any Snaic cables included with Teddy/Avondale.?
With Flashback cables sadly no longer available, buying s/h is needed if you want money left for the PSU (I assume you already have matching interconnects)

Do notice you need two Snaic cables (4 & 5 Pin) if you run Naim power amp ?
Buying new from Naim and your budget is more or less gone.
Not sure if any Snaic cables included with Teddy/Avondale.?
With Flashback cables sadly no longer available, buying s/h is needed if you want money left for the PSU (I assume you already have matching interconnects)

Thanks for the clarification. I already have a 4-pin SNAIC connecting the NAC 122X to a NAP 150, so I think I only need the 5-pin SNAIC. Many of the PSUs (of any make) that I've seen come and go have included the 5-pin IIRC. Indeed, new Naim SNAICs would eat my budget up but it looks like they're readily available pre-owned for much more reasonable costs (with regards to my stated budget).

Looking at my pre-amp manual, I would plug the NAC 122X via a newly acquired 5-pin SNAIC to the PSU, and then plug the PSU via my existing 4-pin SNAIC to the NAP 150. The exception being Avondale PSUs, which I guess require splitting the 5-pin SNAIC from the pre-amp to a 5-pin for the PSU and 4-pin for the power amp...or something.

I had a flatcap 2 on my 272 many years ago and it actually made it sound worse than no supply at all

I then had CHC rip out the internal regs and replace with their own
Big big improvement

Whilst you trawl for the TC keep an eye out for a Sonic Bliss PSU. There aren’t many around but should be well within your budget if one comes up.

Mine powered both my 180 and CD3.5 and made a dramatic improvement. To me sounded better than a Hicap I borrowed. I gave it away with the CD3.5 to a friend.

If you google it with Naim you’ll find many results lead back to threads here….

advertisement

Back