advertisement

Budget LP12 plinths

Mr Pig

^'- -'^
Just a little update on something I've been doing.

I've long felt that many LP12 parts were very expensive but, what can you do about it? So I decided to see if I could arrange the manufacture of high quality LP12 plinths at a good price. I'm not making any money out of this, I just wanted to see if it could be done and I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible.

I've been working with the guy who'll be making the plinths for months now, getting the spec and quality right, and I think we'll soon be good to go. I should be getting two of hopefully the third and final prototypes to test on Friday. Iain has been trying different finishes and this lacquer looks good but if you want other finishes just ask.

The two hardwoods offered initially will be Sapele and Oak. Oak needs no introduction but most people don't know what Sapele is. It's very similar to Mahogany but is a little harder and more difficult to work. It has a redish tinge but it darkens to a deep brown over time. Other woods might be an option as is black and maybe custom finishes. We're open to ideas. I'm thinking a tinted lacquer might be interesting.

I can confirm that the price of the plinths will be £250 plus postage and worldwide delivery will be available. As soon as we're happy with the quality I'll post contact details and plinths can be ordered directly from Iain. Each plinth will be numbered and you'll be able to see the actual plinth you'll be buying.

I think this is quite cool? ;0)

275618348_694334175343256_8896471692997493869_n.jpg

Sapele is a lovely wood. All my Ergo loudspeakers (except the E-X) are made from solid Sapele. The E-X is veneered with Sapele. The most challenging aspect of working Sapele is dealing with cross-linked grain, which tends to tear unless the cutters are extremely sharp and angle of attack kept very low. I've often thought about making a Sapele plinth for my LP12 to match my Ergos.

The most challenging aspect of working Sapele is dealing with cross-linked grain, which tends to tear unless the cutters are extremely sharp and angle of attack kept very low.

It is harder to work with. That might be why you don't see it often.

Why not limit yourself to British or European hardwoods instead of funding the destruction of rainforests ?

Beech, cherry, sycamore, london plane, chestnut, oak, yew, elm, and walnut should all be readily available especially after the recent storms.

IMO these woods are more beautiful than window frame sapele and have a longer lasting appeal than or any of the more gaudy tropical hardwoods. Could potentially be a positive point of difference for you too.

I'd wipe on an oil and wax finish. Brings out the grain and colour far better than the usual plasticky lacquers.

Why not limit yourself to British or European hardwoods instead of funding the destruction of rainforests ?

I'd wipe on an oil and wax finish. Brings out the grain and colour far better than the usual plasticky lacquers.

It doesn't matter what you do or how good it is, there will always be someone who tells you you're doing it wrong.

I think you're totally missing the point of what I'm doing here. Exotic and expensive LP12 plinths exist. If you've got a decks costing ten grand you're probably not averse to spending £1000 or more on a nice plinth. But there are lots of people running older decks for whom an expensive plinth is not proportionate or justifiable. While other woods may well be offered in the future, right now it's about what hardwoods we can get that let us keep the price down. Linn don't offer most of the woods you list, they keep it simple, yet their plinths still cost a grand. We're aiming to offer plinths of similar quality at the lowest possible price. The boutique market is already strong so why would we go there?

And I don't know what you're understanding of timber supply is but believe me, right now it's not as simple as you suggest.

Again, we'll be looking at different finishes and you should be able to get what you want but the lacquer is not rubbish. It's a durable lacquer specifically designed for timber, it's applied in a proper spray booth and the guy doing used to paint speakers for Tannoy until they shut the factory! We could use oil, we've tried that, but the reason we're going to make the lacquer the default finish is that it looks pretty good.

You'll be able to see the actual plinth you're getting and if you want it oiled, I'm sure that'll be ok. Or supplied unfinished and you can do what you like to it. But we're doing what we're doing. If you don't like it feel free to not buy a plinth or go ahead and make plinths the way you think is right.

Good luck to you in your endeavour- I shall keep an eye on progress. Could I suggest that no matter how provocative or constructive the criticism it's always a better look to rise above it in the public sphere (though feel free to let rip via pm or call in the lawyers as appropriate). Good luck again.

Could I suggest that no matter how provocative or constructive the criticism it's always a better look to rise above it in the public sphere...

Messengerman made perfectly reasonable comments, I'm not annoyed about it, but I'm just trying to get across the specific goal here.

I'm not looking to supply exotic plinths made of boogabooga to the well healed tree hugger. People are already doing that. I'm thinking of the guy who maybe has an old Afro plinth that's looking a tad tired or is building up his first LP12 out of parts and would be delighted with a smart new plinth at an affordable price. By the time you sell the old one on eBay you're not looking at a big outlay to refresh the look of your deck. I know what it's like to try and work around ever increasing LP12 prices and this is a small thing I can do to hopefully help. Not up and running yet but so far so good and nearly there.

Good luck! So many after market plinths are slightly off dimensionally or aren’t completely square.

Get it right and they deserve success.

It doesn't matter what you do or how good it is, there will always be someone who tells you you're doing it wrong.

I think you're totally missing the point of what I'm doing here. Exotic and expensive LP12 plinths exist. If you've got a decks costing ten grand you're probably not averse to spending £1000 or more on a nice plinth. But there are lots of people running older decks for whom an expensive plinth is not proportionate or justifiable. While other woods may well be offered in the future, right now it's about what hardwoods we can get that let us keep the price down. Linn don't offer most of the woods you list, they keep it simple, yet their plinths still cost a grand. We're aiming to offer plinths of similar quality at the lowest possible price. The boutique market is already strong so why would we go there?

And I don't know what you're understanding of timber supply is but believe me, right now it's not as simple as you suggest.

Again, we'll be looking at different finishes and you should be able to get what you want but the lacquer is not rubbish. It's a durable lacquer specifically designed for timber, it's applied in a proper spray booth and the guy doing used to paint speakers for Tannoy until they shut the factory! We could use oil, we've tried that, but the reason we're going to make the lacquer the default finish is that it looks pretty good.

You'll be able to see the actual plinth you're getting and if you want it oiled, I'm sure that'll be ok. Or supplied unfinished and you can do what you like to it. But we're doing what we're doing. If you don't like it feel free to not buy a plinth or go ahead and make plinths the way you think is right.

For someone who's not annoyed you give a fair impression.

Nowhere did I say you were wrong. I took my cue from you liking the big up for zebrano and burl walnut and your statement that oak and sapele would be your initial offer. Perhaps I ought not to have done but hey ho.

Generally I don't chime in unless I know something that might be of value. In this case I make furniture. Its a retirement hobby but I'm quite good at it and (mostly) know what I'm talking about. If my suggestions offend then maybe you ought to have announced your launch in a magazine rather than on, you know, an internet forum. Of course you're perfectly free to ignore me as you please. I don't mind. But making an effort to be antsy is rather rude. No?

Cost you no sales from me of course as if I wanted yet another plinth for my LP12 I'd make one. As I encouraged you on another of your threads : it's not hard. Like a proper drawer but with simpler joinery. Remember?

You won't get much future feedback or help or sales if you're chippy even with well meaning suggestions.

For someone who's not annoyed you give a fair impression.

Well, that's the internet for you. I'm certainly not annoyed. I didn't see your suggestions as particularly helpful but I'm happy to accept you meant well. You might make things out of wood as a hobby but the guy making the plinths has decades of doing it professionally. I spoke to a couple of people looking for advice on this and I think I've really got the right guy in the right place with Iain.

As well as being very capable he's also a good guy who'll sort out any issues buyers might have. I'm sure there will be snags and changes going forward but I've been really pleased with how quickly he's understood the demands of the product and improved the quality. The second go was a perfectly good plinth and I'm expecting the next ones to be spot on or close to it.

I'm looking forward to getting plinths into people's hands and getting feedback from them.

This is all very commendable and I wish you luck.

I bought my LP12 new from a dealer in 2003. Just dug out the invoice. £1250. At the same time had an Ekos 2 upgrade / exchange from an old Ekos 1 for £440.

How much do Linn charge for a new plinth nowadays?

How much do Linn charge for a new plinth nowadays?

Genuine Linn ones start at about £750 with limited edition ones a good bit more. There are lots of nice aftermarket ones available, and some not so nice, but I thing these ones will be the cheapest available.

Genuine Linn ones start at about £750 with limited edition ones a good bit more. There are lots of nice aftermarket ones available, and some not so nice, but I thing these ones will be the cheapest available.

Please put me on the waiting list.

I would like to go on the waiting list if that's OK.

As soon as I feel the quality is right I'll post Iain's contact details and you can deal with him directly. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible so there is no need for me to be in the loop. He knows squat about the LP12 though, other than what I've explained to him, so I'll always be happy to deal with any issues or technical questions. The whole thing is my idea so I want buyers to be happy campers :0)

I just mailed him and I should be getting two plinths to check tomorrow.

My afromosia plinth looks as good as the day it entered my house in 1981 and it has corner pieces. Is there a good reason for changing other than "is as good as a rest" ? I am being serious - how would one know if it were adversely affecting things ? Mitred corners all appear NOT to have budged. My azymuth has always been out but that´s down to my Ittok. Just for the corner bolt thing ?

advertisement

Back