advertisement

Budget 2023

Inclined to agree.

Though I see that largely as an indication of how poorly workers are served by defined contribution pensions - how many people on £35k will have the means to stash away the £1m they'd need for a similar income in retirement?

I certainly don't resent public sector workers with DB schemes.

Neither do I, it’s part of the deal, but must cost a fortune. Salaries aren’t potentially as high (although that’s dependent on the role) but the pension is comparatively fabulous. Guaranteed and risk free too. That’s worth a hell of a lot.

Big problem recently was the dismal annuity rates, when i retired best quote was around 3% so i'd need to have £1.5m in a fund to equal a nurses' pension (c£45k at the time).

My wife retired at 55 with a substantially higher NHS pension.
While agreeing with the point about annuity rates, I don’t understand the £45k pension figure. Public sector pensions were usually half the final salary (if you’d worked for 40 years). So for a nurse to get a pension of £45k they would have been on a salary of £90k. Not too many nurses on that I guess.

Whatever the number is it will include a very substantial number of Tory MPs and Tory party donors, which fully explains the policy.

Can’t see labour reducing MP’s pensions if they get in. They’re all parasites.

advertisement

Back