advertisement

Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars

springer

pfm Member
Home from picking up the new Bruce. Played through and on first listen, I'd have it down as one of his very best albums. Certainly the best since Magic. I think I have my best of 2019 sorted.

Lovely pressing too.

Had a listen to Western Stars and it's great. It's cool how Bruce Springsteen still sometimes releases an engrossing album. The first time I saw him live was at Hammersmith Odeon in 1975. It was a pretty unforgettable gig.

Having said that, I prefer the new Richard Hawley album, Further.

Jack

Last edited:
Wow, that must have been amazing. Do you recall much of it?

Started listening to Western Stars this morning by coincidence and enjoyed it straight away. Think I'll have to buy it on vinyl.

EDIT: Ordered. There is a limited edition coloured vinyl version as well. I didn't bother with it but it's only a couple of quid extra.

Just bought it at lunchtime - looking forward to listening to it this evening. I've gone with CD for now but will also buy the vinyl if it's great.

I like some Bruce, not a massive fan, but having a listen now and really enjoying this album.

I will be buying it. I am a big Springsteen fan, loved Born in the USA when I was a teen & have spent many an hour listening to his back catalogue. Darkness.. Is probably his best but I really love Tunnel of Love also. I saw him at Hyde Park in 2008, he was supported by the Gaslight Anthem, I recall he came on as a guest to do a song & their lead singer seemed to shrink in his presence. Very odd, seemed like a magic trick how his charisma smoted lesser mortals.

Really enjoyed my first play of Western Stars this evening. I think it’s great how Bruce has kept his voice in such good shape. He sure doesn’t sound like a man turning 70 in a few months!

song writing in the early days was great , this content is poor and all the tracks are similar, the background music sounded dull, the close miked bruce is good. can only say an average release .
Its very good that the put the release on two records others should do the same . Like the album art work and the fact you get a digital download..

I've got all his albums; of the band albums, my favourite is Darkness. But my overall favs are Nebraska and The Ghost of Tom Joad.

That is until yesterday when I first played Western Stars - its now my favourite of his with Darkness. His voice is still strong and emotive; the string and horn arrangements work well, and the songs are another set of evocative narratives of how people get through life.

Btw, I have the vinyl and its good sounding and a clean pressing.

I got the vinyl yesterday. The recording is pretty decent, and better than much of the older stuff, which wasn't good. I can't say how it compares to the digital, however.

The single I've heard on radio isn't bad... but it ain't amazing either...

He's always been one of those artists where I've obviously failed to see what some others do in him. He seem's to receive "he's a rock god! I've got every album and seen him live 5 times!" type praise from some but although some of his best known and biggest hits are superb (The River, Born in The USA, Downbound Train) when I try to listen to most albums it all just sounds very samey, formulaic and, sorry, but boring...

He's always been one of those artists where I've obviously failed to see what some others do in him. He seem's to receive "he's a rock god! I've got every album and seen him live 5 times!" type praise from some but although some of his best known and biggest hits are superb (The River, Born in The USA, Downbound Train) when I try to listen to most albums it all just sounds very samey, formulaic and, sorry, but boring...
Likewise.

No accounting for taste, I think there is enough variation across his work to not be samey but you don't have to like him.

Never really got into Springsteen , I do like Greetings From Asbury Park , I shall give this a go on Spotty as the reviews here are favourable .

Try The Ghost of Tom Joad.

advertisement

Back