advertisement

Brothers In Arms: Opinions on this album ?

I listened to it on Sunday for the first time in more than 20 years. I heard it right through because it was off my CD. Normally I jump from track to track and album to album when I'm streaming. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

What do I think of it? I had the chance to buy their entire output on ex condition vinyl at 50p each.

I left them in the charity shop where they belong :) cheesy, painting by numbers stuff which hasnt stood the test of time. Sorry :)

I bought this when it came out but I must admit preferred their first two albums when they where a tight four piece. By the way what ever happened to Pick Withers and David Knopfler's brother I bought an LP of his when it came out in the mid 80's "Release"?

Regards,

Martin

A good listen when it first was issued but today, it's vastly overhyped IMO.

Also I don't know about vinyl editions but there are too many reissues/remasters in CD format in circulation for my liking.

Brothers in Arms, the track, used to be my test track for hi fi, the quiet intro, the odd sounds, the raspy voice then the drum intro. Its ok, like McDonalds chips, not for regular consumption.

As I have said before, it is a great example of how even early-80's 16-bit digital recording technology wasn't all that bad.

Not heard this one, what is it?
:D:D:D

More seriously, not ashamed to say I loved it at the time and for a while afterwards. Not listened to it in ages though, it became one of those where the album and the singles got so over-played I can hardly bear to hear any of it again.

Never heard it,really. I've probably heard several tracks, but never been subjected to the whole album or even one side in one sitting. And I intend to keep it that way. Never heard anything by Dire Straits I liked.
But then I listen to a whole load of stuff that others would hate, so each to their own & all that.

"Walk Of Life" and "Industrial Disease" are two of the most annoying tracks ever recorded. I would happily have every copy of "Love Over Gold" and "Brothers In Arms" melted.

Oh God...Walk Of Life, that twee little ditty of a riff made for dancing grannies and toddlers at a wedding reception disco. I really wish you hadn't mentioned that.
Thirty years ago for Dire Straights is not enough. Awful, awful, awful.

I think it could have been so much better. Unfortunately it was produced in the 80's and has that awful 80's sound that spoilt many a good album.

There are some strong pop songs on there.

Oh God...Walk Of Life, that twee little ditty of a riff made for dancing grannies and toddlers at a wedding reception disco. I really wish you hadn't mentioned that.

Seconded. Also 'Money for nothing' is worn out. 'The man's too strong', 'One world' and 'Brothers in arms' on the other hand...

Sorry to be a dIRE sTRAITS 'fan' - but I like Queen too, so what do I know?

Got 'Brothers in arms' on CD single as well, because I could...

I would imagine that a fair few people who worked in hifi shops in that era must be sick to death of that album. If I dropped in to my regular hifi dealer, it was very often heard twiddling away in one of the dem rooms, along with something by Pink Floyd.

advertisement

Back