advertisement

Broken Valhalla

Chris Marshall

pfm Member
Hi Guys

Can anyone help me with some advice to fix my valhalla board.

The switch on the lp12 was loose, so I moved it to put it back in without disconnecting the mains, bad idea. 1 spark later, my turntable doesn't work.

The fuse had blown on the board, which I replaced but still no joy.

Any ideas as to what to try checking ( I only have a multimeter).

I know the answer is to build a geddon, but even if I do I'd like to fix the valhalla anyway.

cheers

Chris

I'd check R1 which should be 47R (or on mine 56R) and is probably some clever surge resistor in yours. Beyond that you probably need to know what you're doing to avoid killing yourself.

Between the -ve end of C2 and the +ve end of C1, these are the two big electrolytics in line across the board, you should have 320v and across C3 (the electrolytic lying along the board near the switch connector) you should have 9v.

Take huge care.

Paul

Last time I was in Robert Richie Hi-Fi in Montrose they where servicing Valhalla boards. I got the impression it was a new sideline due to popular demand, might be worth giving them a tinkle.
Really sorry to hear of your unfortunate mishap, Although not on my LP12, I've had that horrible, sinking, feeling just about 1 milliseconds after you see the spark :)o !), bottom line, the user manual for the LP12 does say......

Originally posted by vicdiaz
Hi,

If you need a Valhalla Schematic, please let me know.

Victor

Hi Victor,

Sorry to butt in, but if it's not too much trouble, could I have a copy of that schematic please.

Mike

Thanks guys

Victor, the schematic would be very helpful, I'll pm you with my e-mail.

I think I'll have a look at voltages, etc myself when I have the schematic (and have bought some insulating gloves!).

Does anyone know if it's safe to power up the valhalla when disconnected from the motor? It would be easier to work on that way.

regards

Chris

I don't think you'll damage it - I did that to check what the voltages should be coming off it from the various terminals for TimH when he was experimenting with making it run at 45rpm (without success, I believe).

I'm sure you don't need reminding, but you need to be VERY careful as there are some large voltages flying around. Mind where you shove those probes!

Yes, but for the final trimpot voltage adjustment, the motor needs to be connected.

Victor

P.S: Please send me your e-mail address so I can send you the schematic.

Originally posted by Chris Marshall
Thanks guys

Victor, the schematic would be very helpful, I'll pm you with my e-mail.

I think I'll have a look at voltages, etc myself when I have the schematic (and have bought some insulating gloves!).

Does anyone know if it's safe to power up the valhalla when disconnected from the motor? It would be easier to work on that way.

regards

Chris

On its way!

Originally posted by Chris Marshall
Hi Guys

Can anyone help me with some advice to fix my valhalla board.

The switch on the lp12 was loose, so I moved it to put it back in without disconnecting the mains, bad idea. 1 spark later, my turntable doesn't work.

The fuse had blown on the board, which I replaced but still no joy.

Any ideas as to what to try checking ( I only have a multimeter).

I know the answer is to build a geddon, but even if I do I'd like to fix the valhalla anyway.

cheers

Chris

I find a earth breaker in the fuse board is ideal...............

You can roll about on live boards and only feel a slight "zing" as everything in the house switches off;)

remember not be as complacent if your'e not in your own breaker fitted home though!!

S

That won't necessarily stop a Valhalla killing you.

It's obviously sensible to have an RCD about the place, preferably connected, but it cannot save you from connecting the mains across yourself.

Paul

advertisement

Back