advertisement

Broken Naim CD2

C5ngt

My lovely Naim CD2 has packed up - not reading discs at all.

I have heard the mechanism in these is obsolete.

Any suggestions how I could bring it back to life or is it for the scrap heap?

Many thanks in advance for any input!

I've had it such a long time it does feel slightly emotional!

To be honest I'm kind of moving over to streaming but it seems a shame just to bin it when it can make such pleasant sounds and there's a certain sense of theatre using its bizarre swing-out drawer and funny puck.

Check the platter. These can drop on the CDM9 mech and then it can't read discs. A very common issue and a very simple fix to pop it back in position. I've fixed quite a few this way.

Talk to Mark at Witch Hat. He fixed and serviced my CD2 last year. Lovely sounding player which deserves a new lease of life.

Another recommendation for Witch Hat, They repaired mine for me, even going the extra mile by sourcing the replacement component from Germany, The total cost to me , well it was less than sending my Player to Salisbury. This was when Naim's technician didn't even recognise their own Cd player, let alone be bothered to repair it.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168315&
highlight=oldie

Unfortunately my original Thread seems to have disappeared regarding my unfortunate experience with Naim's Service Department.
oldie

A few years ago my CD2 needed a replacement machanism as well. Naim told me they where out so I searched the internet myself for a new CDM9 mech. These appeared in car stereo's, other cd players etc. I bought a new mech from a former Philips engineer and I found one in Germany. Eventually sold the cd2 with the one replacement mech and the new one installed to a hifi shop.
Maybe he still has the replacement mech in stock. Try mailing Edwin from Audioartistiek in The Netherlands. info at audioartistiek.nl

advertisement

Back