advertisement

Broadband: Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months

there is a little village near to britains second city , its right next to the m42 and yet on facebook you read time after time their internet is down or not working. i don`t think they can get virgin either. what hope for remote villages when one just a few miles from a major city finds it hard to get decent broadband

there is a little village near to britains second city , its right next to the m42 and yet on facebook you read time after time their internet is down or not working. i don`t think they can get virgin either. what hope for remote villages when one just a few miles from a major city finds it hard to get decent broadband
The M42 is nowhere near Manchester...;)

And yet ironically the use of 'power line adaptors' where the broadband RF is carried over the mains wiring, is the source of a lot of RF interference these days, not to mention the proliferation of devices with unshielded crappy switched mode power supply units. As an example, the noise levels in the evening coming from the neighbour's house here causes all sorts of carriers, noises and buzzing across FM when pointing the aerial that way. Forget expensive cables and mains isolators. If these devices were all switched off the FM band would be so much quieter and cleaner, and would probably do more to improve the sound quality on FM than any foo.

Spot on! I am furious that all sorts of equipment and companies were threatened by the new stringent regulations and even if they not only didn't cause interference but in fact couldn't cause it.... Then here we go... a new range of highly PROFITABLE products for wi fi etc and it's "we don't care what gets interfered with cos theres money to be made"...

I live in a country where the armed forces still use HF heavily as they haven't largely switched to satellite comms like the UK has. HF is badly affected by power line modems

There was a time when TVs used a thyristor with phase angle firing control, just like old light dimmers, to regulate the main 200V dc power supply. This was a half wave circuit and generated horrendous harmonics on the mains. This was when a proper SMPS would have been expensive. You would have to be 60+ to remember these

I remember them well.

Pete

Pity that little tv couldn't transport us all back to the '90s. The 90s were a great decade.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back