advertisement

British Covid Response: View From Across the Pond

I keep in touch with a good friend in Indiana and he sends me such lunatic rantings regularly (I have not actually read the linked article, but have no need given your own words).
I have yet to be sent anything that is correct, or correct in the sense that they are written - for instance, US white supremacist BS about Leicester being majority non-white, which is true if you pick the definition of "Leicester" to suit, but more especially, so what? I live 10 miles from Leicester and worked there for some years.

The gist of the link title alone is total complete absolute and utter total BS.

This sort of thing just confirms to me so much about so many Americans if this sort of thing circulates and is seemingly believed so widely - entirely unpleasant screwballs, to be polite.

Source of the BS?
Non-white Brit's are more likely to work in jobs where there is increased risk of contracting C19, not least care-workers. They are also more likely to live in poor housing at high density with multi-generation occupancy. Combined, that means that non-white Brits IRRESPECTIVE of religion, have a disproportionately high level of C19 infection, and deaths, sadly.

The Article itself is complete junk with a few elements of truth none of which support the fact that the lockdowns are targeted at Muslims. Our Covid response was poor / scandalous in the early stages but the public got on board when lockdown happened at least in a large part. Issues started to arise when the ruling elite decided that they were not to be governed by the same rules as everyone else here and it gave some folks an excuse to not follow the aforementioned rules. Since then we have had a few hot spots as per the article and they have had local restrictions place upon them. There may well be societal reasons these hot spots have occurred in areas with high BAME populations , poorer healthcare , less money for sanitation measures spring to mind i don't know for sure but to claim this is aimed at Muslims is wide of the mark. Even our shitty government would likely not get away with that although there is said to be some anti Muslim sentiment in the Tory party.

Issues started to arise when the ruling elite decided that they were not to be governed by the same rules as everyone else

Really? Do you mean the "young", or one twat adviser to BJ? That is about as lunatic as the crepe posted by DimitryZ.

Probably THE strongest adherent in the UK is QEII.

BTW - convenient that England is picked-on rather than UK or GB. The problems in Scotland, and quite a few in England, centre around pubs and bars, and if ever there was a place that you'd struggle to find a Muslim……………………..

So it sounds like the article is fake news from lefty CNN and there isn't systemic racism in play with respect to British Covid response? The Tories really must be science-based, just as they claim.

I was getting concerned...given British reputation of being racism-free. And it's not like Britain subjugated any people in far away places - it's just weird.

It seems that BAME people (a lovely Britishism) are just naturally predisposed to be in occupations that are naturally predisposed to Covid sickness and death.

It's all natural, not racism - certainly in Britain.

Dimitry in order for our government to purposefully target specific groups they would require half a control on the situation.

The fact is our government like most governments are basically batting balls back as they come in, a few get dropped. there is no plan. The wider issue of sweatshops running in the uk, is shameful, but a different discussion.

Dimitry in order for our government to purposefully target specific groups they would require half a control on the situation.

The fact is our government like most governments are basically batting balls back as they come in, a few get dropped. there is no plan. The wider issue of sweatshops running in the uk, is shameful, but a different discussion.
My goodness, it's the government haplessness to blame.

Well, that's a relief. .. Though it seems to run mostly down the racism hill.

But like responses above, it's just a natural state of being.

The Article itself is complete junk with a few elements of truth none of which support the fact that the lockdowns are targeted at Muslims. Our Covid response was poor / scandalous in the early stages but the public got on board when lockdown happened at least in a large part. Issues started to arise when the ruling elite decided that they were not to be governed by the same rules as everyone else here and it gave some folks an excuse to not follow the aforementioned rules. Since then we have had a few hot spots as per the article and they have had local restrictions place upon them. There may well be societal reasons these hot spots have occurred in areas with high BAME populations , poorer healthcare , less money for sanitation measures spring to mind i don't know for sure but to claim this is aimed at Muslims is wide of the mark. Even our shitty government would likely not get away with that although there is said to be some anti Muslim sentiment in the Tory party.

I like your understatement.

Or, as is the case, the Tory party is riddled with Islamophobes.

But, like the Russian report, the Tories prefer to pretend it’s not there.

Stephen

I keep in touch with a good friend in Indiana and he sends me such lunatic rantings regularly (I have not actually read the linked article, but have no need given your own words).
I have yet to be sent anything that is correct, or correct in the sense that they are written - for instance, US white supremacist BS about Leicester being majority non-white, which is true if you pick the definition of "Leicester" to suit, but more especially, so what? I live 10 miles from Leicester and worked there for some years.

The gist of the link title alone is total complete absolute and utter total BS.

This sort of thing just confirms to me so much about so many Americans if this sort of thing circulates and is seemingly believed so widely - entirely unpleasant screwballs, to be polite.

Source of the BS?
Non-white Brit's are more likely to work in jobs where there is increased risk of contracting C19, not least care-workers. They are also more likely to live in poor housing at high density with multi-generation occupancy. Combined, that means that non-white Brits IRRESPECTIVE of religion, have a disproportionately high level of C19 infection, and deaths, sadly.
Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

I like your understatement.

Or, as is the case, the Tory party is riddled with Islamophobes.

But, like the Russian report, the Tories prefer to pretend it’s not there.

Stephen

“What I have seen in my constituency is that we have areas of our community ... that are just not taking the pandemic seriously enough," Whittaker said Friday, when asked about the local lockdowns during an interview with LBC radio.
When asked if he was talking about the Muslim population, Whittaker replied: "Of course."
"If you look at the areas where we've seen rises and cases the vast majority -- not, by any stretch of the imagination, all areas -- but it is the BAME [Black, Asian, and minority ethnic] communities that are not taking it seriously enough," he added”

Spot the Muslims catching a tan/ not taking it seriously while Bournemouth declares a major incident-

zcZDUTZ.jpg

Can’t say I see anything particularly to take issue with in the article. The UK is understandably, structurally and institutionally racist. I like to think we are getting more serious about trying to change it and I guess it will take at least a couple of generations to do that. We are beginning to realise it is white people that own the problem. But it’s hard to give up power, wealth and privilege and that is what it will take.
The brexit thing was an inadvertent admission we have a problem, however long term I hope surfacing the issue will help.
Now the Trump thing? I don’t think it is even a US thing, it’s a white people’s thing; kind of the international political wing of the KKK.

BUT... there is no evidence (and it has been looked for) that a crowded beach in Bournemouth has led to any increase in Covid cases. Beaches are not a place of transmission.

Covid cases now are being picked up or started from:
Health and care settings, still
Factory settings (garment factories, food processing are notable) where poor working conditions are too common
Multi-generational households - very often intertwined with some of the factory issues hence the Leicester, Bradford and Blackburn situations
Some pubs (Aberdeen notably, but some rural locations like a Warwickshire village)

Three of those four will affect BAME groups more. The last is where we see younger people seemingly unbothered by Covid risks.

So, the net effect is that the BAME population is still disproportionately affected by Covid. They are not to 'blame', it is not their 'fault'. It means that local Public Health policies have to be tuned to look after these groups better.

Similar happened in the USA - New York cases were not evenly spread amongst the populations. Income, job and urban living conditions made a huge difference to the risk of catching the virus.

So, the net effect is that the BAME population is still disproportionately affected by Covid. They are not to 'blame', it is not their 'fault'. It means that local Public Health policies have to be tuned to look after these groups better..

...and laudable as that would be it is still just paternalistic philanthropy. A bit like buying shoes for your slaves.

there is no evidence (and it has been looked for) that a crowded beach in Bournemouth has led to any increase in Covid cases

But there is a link at the very beginning of C19 in the UK, between an international football match in the NW, involving a team from Spain (I know nothing of football, so I know no more), and a large race meeting in the SW (I also know nothing of racing).

So large outdoor gatherings are far from "no risk".

^^^^
Just outlining the facts rather than a personal agenda. Everything Jensonhealey say's is true. In Ireland we now have big outbreaks in guess where? Meat factories. 80 in one factory! Conversely in well heeled suburb where I live local pub is hopping with loads of 25-40yrs with no social distancing. Majority of cases in Ireland over the last couple of weeks are in the under 45yr old bracket.Surprise! A portion of east europeans also just not taking it seriously. Is it because their first language is not English and they don't tune in to Irish radio stations to get the message? Older people in various supermarkets not wearing masks and not socially distancing.

Reality is there are myriad reasons for the spread across the divide. But as any sensible person would recognise in poorer or marginalised areas are by and large impacted disproportionately. It has invariably always been that way.

Disappointing if CNN are not reporting stuff accurately and over egging it because if that is true it will only help Trump to get re-elected

Last edited:
The views from other countries generally lack context. There is a tendency for us to either over-praise certain world leaders & patronise others.

Prevalence of CV is acutely related to relative poverty. There is some evidence that vitamin c could help the BAME community but I understand there are downsides to this.

advertisement

Back