advertisement

Bristol Show 2019 Feb 22-24.

Who is making the Rogers? Last I heard they were bought by a Chinese company and sank without trace.

I will be at Bressol tomorrow. I will be wearing a large inflatable pink fish on a two foot high spring mounted on my head. For identification purposes.
I may well be asleep under the stairs as I'm out tonight listening to Prof Brian Cox talking about 'millions and millions of staarrs..' at the Liverpool Arena, then up at 5:00 a.m to get my train for Bressol on Friday. 5:00 am is about 5 hours earlier than I normally get up these days.

Oh to think I went to every Bristol show between 1988 to 2013 (apart from 1993 when the show was cancelled.) Used to be a fun day out and I always took in a few record shops in Park Street & The Triangle too.

I did win one of their very nice prizes one year in the draw though.

Sorry won't be going this year. Those that are attending I do hope you can get through the bedroom doors of what you do want to see and hear.

Had a foretaste tonight of glorious sounds... the magnificent bells of st Mary's redcliffe bristol pealing out for all to hear ...Just wonderful

Hmm... I’ve just checked and it’s a six hour round trip for me so probably won’t bother (I remember it felt like a very long drive the last time I went) - I’ll see if any friends are up for it.

Ironically the lads in the group were from the Philadelphia area in the States, and not ..., but I reckoned in keeping with the thread, this would be a bit of fun in celebrating the show's opening day. :)

Bristol Stomp
The Dovells

The kids in Bristol are sharp as a pistol
When they do the Bristol Stomp
Really somethin when they join in jumpin
Whoa, whoa they start spinnin every Friday night
They dance the greatest and they do it right
Well, it's the latest it's the greatest sight to see
(Whoa, oh, oh)
(Whoa, oh, oh)
(Ah-ah-ah, whoa)
Whoa, whoa it started in Bristol at a dee jay hop
They hollered and whistled never wanted to stop
We pony and twisted and we rocked with Daddy G
(Whoa, oh, oh)
(Ah-ah-ah)…

I too have been going for many years, and to be honest the smaller rooms become tiresome. too busy, and the quality is typically underwhelming.
This year, some of the best bargains can be had at the sony stand. Leave your details and you will get some very good pricing on their products on monday via email:)

The kef room was interesting with the new baby LS50s via Bluetooth - really good, and probably the best money you could spend on your TV. They would kick Sonos ass in every way, in fact any soundbar would be made redundant.

The new R range sounded very nice, and the aesthetics are great.

Hegel Amphion. Simple and very effective.

The ATC new amp and passive sc40s, very good.

Ironically the lads in the group were from the Philadelphia area in the States, and not ..., but I reckoned in keeping with the thread, this would be a bit of fun in celebrating the show's opening day. :)

Much good stuff in Bristol's local musical history, and no, not all 90s trip-hop:

Black Roots - Bristol Rock (1978)

The big Dynaudios were the best car hi-if system you’ve ever heard. Very similar in character to the ATCs elsewhere. Dynamic and punchy but lacking in emotion and a little confused.

Rega room was as you’d expect; decent quality and sounds at a v. reasonable price. Not as good as previous years, though.

Exposure room with active Kudos 606’s suffered from a dodgy crossover configuration. They need Derek in there to sort it out as it’s doing no one any favours at the moment.

Cyrus was producing some surprisingly decent sounds with their new streaming thingy.

Kudos 505’s with the new Linn Selekt was far and away the sound of the show. I thought this Linn all-in-one was supposed to be rubbish according to reports on the old Naim forum. Not on this occasion it wasn’t. Very Naim-a-like voiced and, to me, better than the Nova’s I’ve heard. Of course that may be the 505’s but, heck, makes you think...

The new Neat pedal bins were very disappointing. Congested and lacking.

Very interesting chats with Jon Honeyball and Alan Gibb from Chord, who are doing things that will cause some of the local dinosaurs to go apoplectic.

A pretty good day all in all.

This show gets far to busy.
I last went 2 years ago with my son we only sat in 2 or 3 demos.
I don't know if it's just me and my boy have very sensitive nostrils..... But it seemed that most of the rooms that we walked into we were greeted by the smell of a guy who doesn't like to wash or at least use deodorant. So I didn't get to listen too much :( shame really as it's just down the road.
Perhaps I should travel with a can of deodorant and be a Good Samaritan.

Not just soap dodgers...
I was listening to a demonstration at Cranage last year when in walked a well known hifi reviewer (name withheld to protect the guilty). He sat next to me, notebook in hand, and greeted the exhibitor. While the dem was in progress he proceeded to excavate both nostrils and roll the results around in his fingers.... Surely he won't I thought, but in vain!! His fingers approached his mouth and he proceeded to have a good chew on the result of said excavations.

I thought the Linn Selekt with the Kudos 505 Speakers were one of the highlights there too. Never heard either before but it certainly sounded great to my ears.

I enjoyed the Harbeth C7ES Anniversary too, Tascam CD200 iL CD player and the speakers were driven by a Hegel amplifier. Beautiful sound, lovely midrange and reproduction of vocals was nice to hear so good.

Another highlight was the Falcon Speakers LS3/5A driven by the Primare amp, very impressive.

I liked the sound in the Rega Room too, and good to see that they had more of their middle range products on demo, the Elex R and the RX3 Speakers. Apart from that the P8 was good to hear for the first time fitted with Ania and connected to Aria phonistage. It produced a nice warmth and richness to the sound which I liked. The Saturn R was there too.

advertisement

Back