advertisement

Bristol Show 2014

John Channing

fruit box forever
Only seen these one of these in pictures on eBay before
DSCF1313_zps8405e578.jpg

Interesting retro look from Graham
DSCF1316_zps442a484e.jpg

The Rega RP10 system was a little disappointing for me, I think it was held back by the electronics and speakers
DSCF1320_zpsb37934ca.jpg

Crazy Clearaudio turntable, sounded ok
DSCF1325_zpsd7919894.jpg

DSCF1327_zps29b471b3.jpg

Nytech quite presentable
DSCF1332_zps76b04645.jpg

Neat as good as ever with a big Linn/Naim front end
DSCF1334_zpsbb61647b.jpg

DSCF1335_zps1ce62485.jpg

Teddy Pardo PSUs for the CAD DAC and ripper!
DSCF1336_zpsd5685673.jpg

Loved the Bauer/Naim Aro turntable combo used by Kudos
DSCF1340_zps0bf21c7f.jpg

DSCF1341_zps0c92a024.jpg

DSCF1343_zps1df3519e.jpg

Heed were sounding good
DSCF1347_zps467e1664.jpg

Interesting (Cabasse I think) speakers
DSCF1350_zps0dfa4299.jpg

Loved the big Tannoy's playing bassy reggae/Police covers

DSCF1354_zps969e623f.jpg

DSCF1355_zps901b697c.jpg

DSCF1352_zps55e555a6.jpg

Qacoustics, never heard of them before, but sounding pretty good
DSCF1370_zps352a1b83.jpg

DSCF1367_zps081eb7ae.jpg

Big Kronos turntable, finish was a bit rough for such a pricey item
DSCF1360_zps7ec8e917.jpg

DSCF1357_zpsa98e30f4.jpg

Nice pics. If I ever win the lotto I'll have a pair of those lovely big Tannoys either side of the fireplace in one of the rooms of my Georgian mansion :).

Very nice though, with a beautiful wood finish and sounding excellent on the end of the Rega Isis CD and Osiris amp.

Indeed, I'd expect them to be really nice as the last generation were good and I understand they've paid a lot of attention to cabinet rigidity, bracing etc with the new ones. Big enough to shift some air about with decent efficiency and dynamics, not too big as to get the slight 'hole in the middle' of some of the 15" drivers. I have a suspicion 12" is the optimal Tannoy size (the vintage 12" Silver apparently being the best of the lot), but all 'proper' Tannoys (i.e. DCs) are great in their own way. The 12" seems rather neglected of late, I think there's a Canterbury cab that uses it, and that's all.

Maybe we'll see there tomorrow ;)

Just the picture. I cant go to the show unfortunately.

I like the looks and connectivity of the control unit, mono blocks and power supply.

What a brilliant idea bringing back the Arcs!

Nytech and Arc is great news!

I went on friday, thinking it would be quiet, it was heaving, could'nt get into some of the rooms. Have'nt people got jobs to go to?

I suppose that is good for the industry, maybe it is'nt dying on it's feet yet.

Nothing much new or any awesome sounds, I think I will give it a miss next year.

As a heads up for those of you in the Thames valley, Trevor from guilford Audio is putting on his small show in Reading on the 15/16th of march, postponed from last weekend. That is always excellent.

Thanks for the pics, I was hoping to get along today but unfortunately that is now not possible, looking at those pics though I feel I have been now :)

Really wanted to go and see/hear the Naim Statement and the new PMC twenty.26's, anyone see either of them?

Cheers,

The Nytech prototype amps (the larger, plain black boxes) sounded very good into ARC 102s in active mode. Nice balance of modern and nostalgic sound. The small ones with the wooden ends don't look much like Nytech!

Lots of Naim used and sounding good in Dynaudio, ProAc and Quadraspire rooms, but they themselves were a bit not there - big display area on the ground floor with nice publicity material but not much sound coming out of NDX/SN2/S400 which was disappointing. Focal phones from Uniti2 sounded good though. Didn't bother with Statement.

PMC 20.26 spectacularly good last thing, very well-defined bass and controlled cabs, great neutral midrange - I listened in the company of Pete Thomas - but now in the late £5ks so almost same price as fact.8. ProAc Response 30R and 20R both superb, 30R noticeably more relaxed.

Spendor had their SP2/R3 (?) with retro beige grilles sounding good in spite of the Diavelet thingy.

Left-field system - Listen to Cocktail Audio X30 all in one digital server/streamer into Kef R500 - great sound with all facilities for less than £2k.

Rega as stated above - I thought it was a good room to show off the hard work and engineering - not to be immersed in the music.

I bought some Yamaha fold-up headphones which for £59 (reduced) sound really very good! JVC (yes) also had some excellent top-range phones on show.

Really wanted to go and see/hear the Naim Statement and the new PMC twenty.26's, anyone see either of them?

Have a watch of the video in the Naim Statement NAC S1/NAP S1 thread, it is the full 20 minute demo and captures the experience pretty well. The PMC room was very good, one of the best at the show.

advertisement

Back