advertisement

Bristol Hifi Show 24to to 26th Feb 2023

Which hotels are any good?

I'm looking at the Holiday Inn express at about GBP100 per night and a place a bit further out called the Jays at GBP50 per night.

I'm probably going to drive since at GPB110 the return rail fare is more expensive than the petrol so the place has to have parking.

I also want breakfast so none of these airbnb things where you just get a room please!

Ibis Hotel, Avon Street, Bristol, BS2 0PS...

BS2 0PS - Google Maps

£88:00 pn max "less if breaki not required" including breakfast.

A stones throw from TM Station, 15 mins walk from hotel hosting Hi-Fi exhibition.

I am resident here until Tuesday midday, tis a nice clean modern cashless hotel with very friendly helpful young staff.

Free parking, over the road as a layby, check google map, ariel view...

Just adjacent to the new HMRC office just over the road from the Ibis Hotel.

PM me, I will tell you what room 1st floor number to book that looks out right over the parking spaces just over the road from here.

The room, I currently occupy till Tuesday has a birds eye view of the four parking spaces there.

Ibis Hotel, Avon Street, Bristol, BS2 0PS...

BS2 0PS - Google Maps

£88:00 pn max "less if breaki not required" including breakfast.

A stones throw from TM Station, 15 mins walk from hotel hosting Hi-Fi exhibition.

I am resident here until Tuesday midday, tis a nice clean modern cashless hotel with very friendly helpful young staff.

Free parking, over the road as a layby, check google map, ariel view...

Just adjacent to the new HMRC office just over the road from the Ibis Hotel.

PM me, I will tell you what room 1st floor number to book that looks out right over the parking spaces just over the road from here.

The room, I currently occupy till Tuesday has a birds eye view of the four parking spaces there.
I’m staying at the Future inn which is just behind the Marriott. Have stayed there the last 2 times, room rates seem reasonable if booked early and comes with free parking for the duration of your stay in the Cabbot circus Multi-storey car park.

I am going to the Bristol show but have never been before, in fact I have never been to any HiFi Show, what should I expect?

very busy , lots of chat , so much to see you wont do it in a day !!!! enjoy oooh and be prepared to queue early for the big stuff

I am going to the Bristol show but have never been before, in fact I have never been to any HiFi Show, what should I expect?
It’s like going to a huge Hi-fi shop, loads to see, loads of people to answer questions, sometimes some good deals to be had (not as good as it used to be). It’s busy and I reckon it will be packed. Queuing starts around 9:15 to get in, if you arrive around 10:30, you can get straight in.

Pick & choose your rooms & be prepared to stand in the smaller ones since often sitting is very limited & sometimes just to packed to enter.
I suspect streaming will be the major source but some will without a doubt have turntables & some CD players. Because music is very varied & many rooms use defacto hi-fi show choice of music it may if you so feel be a wise choice to bring your own on the medium of your choice to listen to. Obviously those using streaming platforms, a kind word in their ear may allow you to access a chosen title.

Addition to music there are normally a couple of seminars throughout the day which can be of interest.

Ground floor is normally filled with stalls where you can buy hi-fi accessories of all types.

Also expect to get chucked out @ the end of the show!

Hot rooms, over crowded corridors, wait for toilets, wait at the bar, wait for presentations ... apart from that its quite ok :)

Dress lightly & carry water. Use a backpack or similar to carry promo literature, don't use the plastic bags provided ... it just looks ... naff (that's a personal issue I have).

Will see you sweating in there somewhere :D

Now I have a question. I want to try a couple of specific headphones and perhaps take one of mine with me for a direct comparison. But to do so I don't want to listen to a multi thousand pound headphone station but rather to what I normally use. I have never before been that interested in HP's nor have I used the stations provided at shows. Will they allow me to use my portable HP DAC/amplifier and (in this case) phone as source to listen to their Headphones?

I don't think any get togethers have been arranged but to all of you going, enjoy. I will likely walk past you :)

I'm mostly interested in hearing different speakers at the show. Are there any can't-miss speakers that we know will be on demo?

I already know all the caveats about bad acoustics at shows, so I'm asking for recommendations fully within the parameters of the setting.

Now I have a question. I want to try a couple of specific headphones and perhaps take one of mine with me for a direct comparison. But to do so I don't want to listen to a multi thousand pound headphone station but rather to what I normally use. I have never before been that interested in HP's nor have I used the stations provided at shows. Will they allow me to use my portable HP DAC/amplifier and (in this case) phone as source to listen to their Headphones?
I'm not sure about using your own dac as sometimes these are set up to be used between a pair of headphones but no harm in asking. Stalls that are show casing their own brand I think will be more willing. I'm pretty sure tho' you'll be able to listen to your own phones for comparison as I've taken mine in the past to compare.

Neat have launched a new floor stander, the Neat Elite Classic, which looks rather nice and very 2001 Space Odyssey...

Neat-Elite-Classic.jpg

I always liked the Elite, good to see their return, hopefully as good, if not better than the older one.

advertisement

Back