advertisement

Bristol Hifi Show 24to to 26th Feb 2023

I, too, really want to know more about the Von Gaylord's. Based just on Grzegorz's video, I would choose those, and the Qualio's as the best sounding.
I thought the Von Gaylords were great, with or without the sub. However, they do appear to be using out of date (and no longer current production) OEM drivers from Focal so I wonder what that's about? Have they got a truckload of NOS drivers, or are they just flogging off some old stuff.

Whilst listening to the Von Gaylord system, the guy running it was making a sign that said 50% off. I waited for a while, intrigued to find out what the 50% was off, he got up, tucked the sign behind an amp sat on the shelf and walked out the room. I’m sure he did it just to try and keep us in the room

From what I could tell, it was 50% off everything. I suspect he didn't fancy shipping it all back to the US and hoped to cover his costs.

Reactions: RoA
Von Gaylord's system, especially the one shown on Friday (non-reference) was nice.

20230224-123744.jpg

20230224-123823.jpg

20230224-123914.jpg

Saturday system
20230225-103134.jpg

There were a few highlights for me, one of them was the Spendor/Auralic/Cyrus system.

Superb authority, drive and soundstage without harshness in a large'ish room from the tiny i9 XR plus PSU-R2 and I believe Spendor D7.2. Auralic source. Not cheap but small, great looking and ever so good.

This would fit in many homes without making it look like a shrine to Hifi.

Cyrus deserve more recognition imho.

20230225-120835.jpg

20230225-120941.jpg

20230225-121822.jpg

20230225-121653.jpg

Lyngdorf's system with their own great looking speakers was fantastic. A brave dem of their room correction system. Brave because only one or two visitors would have gotten the full benefit of the calibration. It looked as good as it sounded. I grudgingly admit this as a Class D cynic.

This system together with Harbeths Concept speakers were my partner's pick(s) of the show.
20230225-122040.jpg

20230225-122048.jpg

20230225-122641.jpg

grudgingly admit this as a Class D cynic.

The vendor was claiming that it's not actually class D but some other topology. Something about amplifying the digital signal directly rather that doing D-A conversion. I didn't understand it though.

Reactions: RoA
Interesting concave tweeter.
It’s a Focal titanium tweeter, precursor to their current range of Beryllium jobbies. I understand it’s getting a bit unobtanium now, there may be enough for spares for legacy speakers, but doubtful in quantities suitable for production of new units.

Many thanks to all who reported back from the show, was unable to attend so your reports and thoughts have been geat to read and watch, a special thank you to Grzegorz's for taking the time to do that marathon clip, it was like being there, really appreciated it :)

If Grzegorz's video is any indication, then the grand tradition of the British hi-fi show is alive and well.

Room after room after room of lowest common denominator muzak accompanied by incessant chatting (to drown out the music?).

Honourable exception - Yamaha! (Also, a few seconds of solo piano in the Kog/Soulnote room that threatened to become interesting.)

What do you expect?

advertisement

Back