advertisement

Bristol Hifi Show 24to to 26th Feb 2023

My musical interests lie more in the direction of jazz, which was notable by its absence.

I wonder if this is a cultural thing because Michael Fremer's video coverage of US hi-fi shows always includes a few sound clips of Blue Note LPs?

I heard a decent amount of jazz, certainly a minority but not absent. I wouldn't have been able to identify any of it, though.

The long video upthread is great, I’m making my way through it in chunks. I actually far prefer doing shows this way from the safety of my own living room now. No need to be deafened by little speakers cranked up to the point of absurdity, no need to fight through crowds into claustrophobic spaces, no need to pay LOLprice for crap food etc. I’m more than happy watching stuff like this and Fremer’s walks around the huge US and European bling-fests. I’d still enjoy WigWam in person as that’s a whole different thing.

no need to pay LOLprice for crap food

Actually one of the big surprises for me was the food at the Bristol show. It wasn't fine dining but it was cheap. There were wrapped up baps to take away for about £3, a takeaway hot dog counter for £3.50 I think, and then a cafeteria-like restaurant where the most expensive dish was about £6.50 (beef stew). Vegetarian options were available but I don't know about vegan.

The café was disappointing, though, especially for £3.50+ for a small coffee.

My musical interests lie more in the direction of jazz, which was notable by its absence.

My experience too at shows
They tend to play soft pop and test records.

However peoples taste in music varies, not an easy task.
I do like Beethoven, Beatles and Coltrane - impossible to find all these genres being played.

I watched all of Grzegorz's video last night. It was as if I was there, following the same path I've trodden many times over the years at Bristol.

Then I remembered why I didn't go: it's a depressing, soulless experience. The upper rooms are too small; there's too much superfluous noise and chatter; you're too close to people who think personal hygiene is a once-a-year bath; sound quality is very hit-and-miss. The larger rooms at least allow some systems to 'breathe', but they can also sound utterly dire. For me, shows like the ones that used to be at Whittlebury (and the Wam shows) in hotels with decent rooms are a better experience.

It's all IMO; others might feel differently about the Bristol experience. Having watched the video, I'm glad I gave it a miss.

My experience too at shows
They tend to play soft pop and test records.

However peoples taste in music varies, not an easy task.
I do like Beethoven, Beatles and Coltrane - impossible to find all these genres being played.

not at bristol show . most rooms are LOUD sadly !!! audionote had a beautiful Indian piece at normal vol and the spendor room played a beautiful classical piece which just conveyed such emotion . i like classical too

you're too close to people who think personal hygiene is a once-a-year bath

Whether it was nerves, temperature or excitement, I was easily the smelliest person in my room by the end of each day. Had to send request for BO-basher. Next time I will shower in the lunch break.

not at bristol show . most rooms are LOUD sadly !!! audionote had a beautiful Indian piece at normal vol and the spendor room played a beautiful classical piece which just conveyed such emotion . i like classical too

I found a bit of classical worked as well as other types. I played Prokofiev, Schubert, Louis Armstrong, Grace Jones, Fleetwood Mac, Crusaders, Stranglers, Rick James, Erik B and Rakim, Prodigy, LFO, Metronomy... if memory serves. You need a bit of variety to stay enthusiastic.

think it was the Moor amps room I was in when they put Money for Nothing on and 3/4s of the people left :) Maybe that was the reson they put it on

I found a bit of classical worked as well as other types. I played Prokofiev, Schubert, Louis Armstrong, Grace Jones, Fleetwood Mac, Crusaders, Stranglers, Rick James, Erik B and Rakim, Prodigy, LFO, Metronomy... if memory serves. You need a bit of variety to stay enthusiastic.

I enjoyed the Renato Carosone in your room! Too bad I missed the LFO though.

Yes, that was me but as luck would have it, the room got really busy right after I asked about the comparison

Yes - I noticed that your attentive listening was frustrated by that. I know some rooms have scheduled listening, but as a smaller exhibitor I didn't think that would be useful.

Yes - I noticed that your attentive listening was frustrated by that. I know some rooms have scheduled listening, but as a smaller exhibitor I didn't think that would be useful.
It’s the scheduled dems that really annoy me. I like to pop in and out as I please. Have sometimes missed ticketed dems after others running over and lost the chance to have a listen to things I’ve really wanted to.

Actually one of the big surprises for me was the food at the Bristol show. It wasn't fine dining but it was cheap. There were wrapped up baps to take away for about £3, a takeaway hot dog counter for £3.50 I think, and then a cafeteria-like restaurant where the most expensive dish was about £6.50 (beef stew). Vegetarian options were available but I don't know about vegan.

You don’t have to eat there on Friday or Saturday. A 5 minute stroll across Castle park to st Nicholas Market gives loads of choice. The fresh air is a relief too.

Scheduled dems always ring the ‘this will inevitably come with a formal sales presentation’ alarm bells for me.

I think this would be ordinary thinking from most companies.
inviting in potential customers which "just'" need that final advise to decide or even close a deal.

I watched all of Grzegorz's video last night. It was as if I was there, following the same path I've trodden many times over the years at Bristol.

Then I remembered why I didn't go: it's a depressing, soulless experience. The upper rooms are too small; there's too much superfluous noise and chatter; you're too close to people who think personal hygiene is a once-a-year bath; sound quality is very hit-and-miss. The larger rooms at least allow some systems to 'breathe', but they can also sound utterly dire. For me, shows like the ones that used to be at Whittlebury (and the Wam shows) in hotels with decent rooms are a better experience.

It's all IMO; others might feel differently about the Bristol experience. Having watched the video, I'm glad I gave it a miss.

It was nice to have the event after COVID. It seems a long time ago since we were all locked in but I remember it too vividly.

In fairness I had a decent coffee for two quid right next to where they were selling the baps, but noticed the more expensive cafe just a few yards away.

advertisement

Back