Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bright interconnects?

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Tim F, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Tim F

Tim F pfm Member

Hey all

Just picked up some decent speakers for my home cinema fronts. Current XLRs are a terrible match. They are far too warm. Put my black star XLRs in from my main system, which fixed the sound completely. As they are expensive I’m looking for a similar but cheaper option. What else is bright? Budget around £200 second hand.

Cheers Tim

2. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Anything silver plated seems to be brighter sounding than copper.

3. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

Chord Shawline, bit toppy to my ears.

4. MotherSky

MotherSky pfm Member

Nordost Red Dawn - the original version - very brightly lit and detailed without actually being unpleasant - I've never tried the revII

Tim F likes this.
  5. Tim F

Tim F pfm Member

Thanks all advice appreciated!

6. Andrew1401

Andrew1401 Member

The shawline is a good recc

7. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Bands and studios (including Abbey Road) use these, there is no 'colour' 'added' to the sound they just pass the signal through.

https://www.designacable.com/van-da...TcQxaXDMoTR5ztX24xDn2o42VCaJqLphoCBxsQAvD_BwE

https://www.van-damme.com/case-studies/abbey-road-studios/

I bet Nordost and Chord et al wish they could strike a deal for 3,000 Metres of cable.

Or 21,000 Metres in the Queen Elisabeth Hall.

https://www.van-damme.com/case-studies/queen-elisabeth-hall-antwerp/

But hey as audiophiles we can improve on the professionals who make our music....

8. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Just think how much better they'd sound wired in snake oil

JimmyB and shrink like this.
  9. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Black Star Digital Cable Connection Options
    • SPDIF: RCA Phono Plug to RCA Phono Plug (single ended)
    • AES: XLR to XLR (double ended)
    UK List Prices:
    1.0m Black Star Digital Cable : £1,200
    1.5m Black Star Digital Cable : £1,600
    2.0m Black Star Digital Cable : £2,000
    2.5m Black Star Digital Cable : £2,400

So the Black Star, cable only price is £ 800/metre (Van Damme deluxe version, starquad is £1.70/Metre)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15211420...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

So to wire the Queen Elisabeth Hall would cost £ 16.8 million, just to buy the cable, though maybe they would discount such a large order.

£ 35,700 for Van Damme Starquad.

10. Tim F

Tim F pfm Member

I’m not clear how this is supposed to help me.

Iain and eevo1969 like this.
  11. sq225917

Honestly cables just pass what's given to them, in extreme cases they can roll off the treble, but under no circumstances can they increase it beyond what's in the signal to start with. So that set of cables isn't bright, your speakers, or how you've placed them is.

12. Tim F

Tim F pfm Member

I have no bias and the difference was very noticeable. I really don’t need a lecture. If you think all cables sound the same then fine. Leave my ad alone.

Iain and johnacurtis like this.
  13. sq225917

I don't think they all sound the same, I'm just saying these aren't bright vthe others are potentially rolled off.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered pfm Member

By offering suggestions that may save you money?

misterdog likes this.