advertisement

Bridge rectifiers - stupid question time

RichardH

Bodging pleb
Was making some bridge rectifiers last night, using the MSR1560 Schottky diodes. I'm darn sure I have them connected correctly, but from a transformer putting out 25V AC, I'm only getting 25V DC out, plus it also seems to be putting about 11 volts of AC through the DC outputs.

Tested the same transformer with an off the shelf rectifier, and get similar results - what gives?

Not yet - this was just measuring the raw voltage off the rectifier, which is connected straight to the transformer's secondaries.

That'll be your problem then. You're measuring an ac signal with a dc meter so that result is undefined.

The waveform you have varies from 0 to roughly (25*1.4)-2 volts. Your ac meter interprets this by halving the peak to peak and multiplying by 0.7 giving 11.5v. Which seems to correlate roughly with what you're seeing.

Paul

...so it's only "pure" DC once the caps have had their wicked way with it. Actually that makes sense now, as I guess the "DC" signal from the rectifier will basically be a series of pulses out of the rectifier.

There you are, just shows it's worth understanding (or at least thinking about) how things work.

Hi Richard,

These 1560's would'nt be freebies from ONSEMI by any chance would they ?? Let me know how they work out will you ??

I'm still short of a few components for my 32Cap (I'll explain later) and have been wondering about what rectifiers to buy. AndyW suggested those to me, or Maplin, where you can apparently buy the same components Naim use for their PSU ccts.

Cheers
Mike

advertisement

Back