advertisement

Bridge Constructor Portal

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
Bridge building for beginners... or is it???

I've been playing this puzzle game for about a week and I've now completed all 60 levels. The levels are easy to begin with but they don't half get difficult towards the end. I knew nothing about bridge building before I started, well, nothing beyond seeing bridges in day-to-day life, but I now know for sure that triangles and arches are the kings and queens of load-bearing design. But there's more to building bridges with triangles and arches in this game, but don't take my word for it, have a go yourself.

Fwiw, I'm a big fan of Portal and Portal 2 and although this game is nothing like those, it inhabits the same universe all the same. Oh, and I've been playing on my Android phone.

Bridge Constructor Portal - Android
Bridge Constructor Portal - Steam
Also available on IOS

I'm surprised nobody else has posted about this game as it really is excellent and challenging from a geometric point of view. Anyway, I've completed my second run through and I've been able to achieve convoys on every level. I think level 59 was the most difficult as you had get the vehicles to loop direction and then use the same structure to loop them back again once they came back through the adjacent portal. The thing that makes achieving convoys so difficult is that they don't follow identical 'flight' paths or impart the same forces when taking off and landing because the stress and strain accumulates on a given structure when multiple vehicles are involved to the point that the structure can slightly deform or collapse. Suffice to say, the window of tolerance is small and very, very small on some levels.

I managed to tidy up most of my structures although there a few levels where I felt lucky enough to achieve convoys and I've left it at that.

I didn’t see this first time around. I really liked Portal and loved Portal 2. Gave this a go a few years back. Good fun, but I didn’t feel hooked into playing all that much.

Yeah it's a totally different experience as it's a geometry and structure puzzle game set within the Portal world more than it has to do with Portal. Once I realised that symmetrical triangles were the answer in most cases, it made it easier to come up with strong and stable solutions to achieving convoys. In one case I even managed to defeat the intended route. All that said, I guess if it didn't capture your attention then fair enough, but hopefully you give it another go :)

Agree re both portals, superb and portal 2 was was very funny in places. I'll get round to it, but I picked up borderlands 3 for $9 the other week and just bought Rome total war II in the steam spring sale.....I may be some time

advertisement

Back