advertisement

Brian Eno - what's good & what's not

Patrick Dixon

Imagineer
Any recommendations?
Any to steer clear of?

I have Fripp/Eno 'Morning Star' & Byrne/Eno 'My Life in the Bush of Ghosts' ....

The Feb 2004 issue of MOJO magazine had a feature on the top 10 Eno albums.

10. Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
9. Eno - Neroli
8. Eno - Nerve Net
7. Eno/Cale - Wrong Way Up
6. Eno - On Land
5. Eno - Music For Films
4. Eno - Before And After Science
3. Eno/Byrne - My Life In The Bush of Ghosts
2. Eno - Music For Airports
1. Eno - Another Green World

The album with brother Roger and Daniel Lanois, Apollo, is also very good. It's the soundtrack to a documentary about the moon landings, and sounds suitably spacey and majesterial. It's the most ambient Eno album I've heard.

Another Green World is overrated boffin-in-a-bedsit experimentation, but it's not bad.

The MOJO guide recommends avoiding The Drop and Drawn From Life.

Added numbers to the above list to clear up any confusion.

1987's Desert Island Selection is recommended as a solid greatest hits set of Eno's song.

The more expensive Brian Eno Vols 1 and 2 also get the thumbs up, and look out for the version of Music For Airports by New York ensemble Bang On A Can.

Start with 'Before and after science' and 'Here comes the warm jets' (qualifies for the "ugliest album covers" list btw, the "jets" are symbolized by this lady taking a pee..) and then move on if your mind allows - this is weird, different and great stuff.
Carl

I’d say you need:

The 1st Roxy Music album.

One of his early albums with songs: I’d pick Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy.

One of his ‘processed guitar noise albums with Fripp’: either No Pussyfooting or Evening Star.

One of his mid period ‘song’ albums: either Another Green World or Before and after science.

One of his early ambient albums: say Music for Airports.

One of whatever Apollo is: Apollo.

One of his later ‘post house’ albums with songs and beats: probably Nerve Net.

A couple of his collaborations: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, 801 Live, Low, Heroes (Eno plays well with others!).

Its very easy to get carried away and overdo Eno, I’ve got plenty of albums by him that I haven’t played for years!

Tony.

Hmmm, I've got 'Drawn from Life' and I really like that, so can I trust the Mojo list? BTW, I assume 'Here come the Warm Jets' was at the top? [edit] Obviously not!

It's 'Morning Star' not 'Evening Star' I've got btw.

Think I'll start with 'Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy', 'Before & After Science' and the Roxy Music one which I've never owned - although I did once have a 7" of 'Pyjamarama' somewhere.

Tony's list is close to mine, except I'd take Warm Jets over Taking Tiger Mountain. The first Roxy Music album is the best thing he's ever appeared on by far.

Early song albums aside, I much prefer him when he's collaborating with other people than on his own.

Trivia fact: he used to live next door to my dad.

-- Ian

It's 'Morning Star' not 'Evening Star' I've got btw.

I’ve never heard of that one! Evening Star is pretty much identical to No Pussyfooting with long slow infinitely sustaining swathes of fuzzed guitar played over complex tape loops of itself.

Tony's list is close to mine, except I'd take Warm Jets over Taking Tiger Mountain. The first Roxy Music album is the best thing he's ever appeared on by far.

I selected Taking Tiger Mountain because of 3rd Uncle which is IMHO his best track this side of Roxy’s Ladytron!

I’ve always preferred Eno’s ideas more than his execution – the man is a genius, but I seldom listen to his work. He was a big influence back in the days I played in bands, the ideas he came out with over his career were stunning, the whole ‘Wow, bloody hell, you can do that!’ thing.

My favourite Eno concept was the Oblique Strategy cards, these are 100 printed cards with a statement that can be applied to music written on each one – each band member pulls one out of the pack (things like ‘Play faster’, ‘Use more space’, ‘Revese’, ‘Play like a child’ etc) and applies them to the jam. They are superb fun as a random compositional tool and almost always get you places where you wouldn’t ever end up normally. I believe Bowie’s excellent Lodger album used them very heavily in its composition. Check them out here.

Tony.

Originally posted by Tony L

My favourite Eno concept was the Oblique Strategy cards, these are 100 printed cards with a statement that can be applied to music written on each one – each band member pulls one out of the pack (things like ‘Play faster’, ‘Use more space’, ‘Revese’, ‘Play like a child’ etc) and applies them to the jam. They are superb fun as a random compositional tool and almost always get you places where you wouldn’t ever end up normally. I believe Bowie’s excellent Lodger album used them very heavily in its composition. Check them out here.

Tony.

His work with James was excellent and they were a great match as the band wrote most of their stuff in 'jam sessions' as well prior to Eno working with them. Will dig out Here Come The Warm Jets and Whiplash I reckon - hey another tangent, I'm beginning to get the hang of this now.

Rich

'No Pussy footing' sets me in the same mood as Kraftwerks 'Autobahn' - obviously very different music and without the distinct Kraftwerk pulse - but the same "endless", non stressed mode.

I have never heard the first Roxy album - what's it like?

Carl

The 1st Roxy album is essential. Great stuff.

For Your Pleasure and Stranded are also essential Roxy albums.

As for Brian Eno, my list would be :

1. 1st Roxy Music

2. For Your Pleasure

3. Here Come The Warm Jets

4. Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy

I have all the above on vinyl and all are fantastic.

I also had Another Green World at one stage, but I wasn't that impressed. Thereafter, I must admit I lost interest in what Eno was doing (as a musician).

I saw MOJO's list and didn't agree with their rankings (how could they leave out Taking Tiger Mountain!)

Very pleased to see this discussion. I came across Eno somewhat indirectly via Fripp and Eno ( 1976) and then via Roxy Music, 801, Manzanera. So....chronologically my exposure was all out of sequence.
I like all the Eno I've ever heard, most of the 'list' posted.

Have lulled myself to sleep on many a night with Here come the warm jets and Another Green World ( Zuwinul lava must be a Weather Report reference)

Have 801 live, Diamond head, Listen now, have heard K-Scope.
My question is really only slightly related.
Did I miss any good 801 or Manzanera? I was rather passionate about them.

Not heard any of his solo albums but understand Warm Jets and Another Green World are highly rated. Which Eno album has the BBC Arena soundtrack on it? I've always liked that.

Brian Eno's Apollo also seems to pop up often on TV soundtracks. It was used on a recent drama series on Channel 4, with Eddie Izzard playing a sleazy marketing guru. It also pops up on C4 trailers now and again.

A unique album IMO.

advertisement

Back