advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony Blair couldn’t even get the UK into the Euro, FFS! Even before the Iraq war he was far too US-friendly to be EU President.

Tony Blair couldn’t even get the UK into the Euro, FFS! Even before the Iraq war he was far too US-friendly to be EU President.

I think you might be taking me a little too seriously, Joe. You've heard the expression 'tongue in cheek'?

Polish government. Is it simply because of ‘my enemy’s enemy’ or do you concur that they’re ‘popular with voters’ for good reason?

I have enormous respect and admiration for the Polish people, who, on balance, have had a pretty rough deal. Particularly against the background of their 20th century history, I do feel that the democratic decisions that they make should be worthy of respect, even if I personally don't necessarily agree with them.

Sure, it gets my goat that the EU should be lecturing, indeed threatening to 'punish' a proud nation for challenging the same rule of law that Germany and France regularly ignore with complete impunity. But then, who writes the cheques.

I have enormous respect and admiration for the Polish people, who, on balance, have had a pretty rough deal. Particularly against the background of their 20th century history, I do feel that the democratic decisions that they make should be worthy of respect, even if I personally don't necessarily agree with them.

Sure, it gets my goat that the EU should be lecturing, indeed threatening to 'punish' a proud nation for challenging the same rule of law that Germany and France regularly ignore with complete impunity. But then, who writes the cheques.
Let’s see if they leave the hated EU.

To divert from the Polish diversionary tactics two articles in the Irish Times bring pre-xmas cheer for merry Brexity folk drunk on freedom
First one is by John Fitzgerald. Serious, sensible and straight talking economist son of former Taoiseach Garrett Fitzgerald.
Second one is by EV's favourite Irish man FOT. Short for Fintan O'Toole

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...d-of-brexit-for-sluggish-uk-economy-1.4731344

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...er-britain-pay-for-actions-is-vital-1.4731452

Elsewhere the commentary is suggesting Bojo will cut a deal on the protocol. All this marching up the hill stuff reaches end game decision time eventualy.

The weirdest but potentially fantastic news is Gove supports the EU position or at least speaks positively on it. Cometh the hour cometh the true diplomat. Could this mean Gove could make a play for PM. I could think of some others but this guy would help the Labour party albeit he will not bluster as much as Boris but I would have thought he would just not be popular.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/pol...-talks-on-northern-ireland-protocol-1.4733073

Three political leaders Europe will deal with for similar reasons:
Britain Trump
ViKtor Orban
Mateusz Morawiecki

The Poles also have a long, ignoble tradition of anti-semitism. Should this also be ‘respected’?

Sure they do, but if historical anti-semitism were a bar to membership of the EU, there wouldn't be many members now.

I spy, with my little eye, a country beginning with 'G'.

Did I mention the war?

The problem is that Poland’s anti-semitism isn’t just ‘historical’; it lingered on during the Communist era and continues, with added impetus by the rhetoric about ‘globalisation’ (see also Hungary).

Then they need to fall in line with the democratic majority in Europe and drop the racism and religious hatred, anti-abortion laws and attacks on the liberties of social minorities. Want club benefits? then obey club rules.

Disregarding the obvious question over whether the EU should, in that case, have granted Poland accession in the first place, the simple answer is that, if Poland continues to follow its own course on the matters of abortion, religious, racial and social persecution etc, and the EU insists upon application of its own quasi-imperial order, then it should move to sling Poland out of the 'club'. That would serve to focus minds, both upon whether or not Poland wishes to retain the benefits of membership, as well as what the role of the EU actually is, and how far its reach should or should not extend into the affairs of member nations.

The problem is that Poland’s anti-semitism isn’t just ‘historical’; it lingered on during the Communist era and continues, with added impetus by the rhetoric about ‘globalisation’ (see also Hungary).

Anti-semitism isn't historical period.

Of course not. But some governments are doing all they can to combat against it, whilst others are silently condoning it, either because they agree with it, or because they see anti-semitism as a useful weapon. It also unites otherwise disparate groups (many anti-vaxxers and climate change deniers also promote anti-Semitic narratives, for example).

The Polish government like Johnson’s, attacks the rule of law when it doesn’t like the law as it has attacked the European Union. The other 26 states of the EU can’t tolerate that. Here we have a government that pulled us out but still sends a corpulent ex-whisky salesman over to Brussels to man the permanent protest camp. It’s only going to go one way- the EU wins because size matters.

Disregarding the obvious question over whether the EU should, in that case, have granted Poland accession in the first place, the simple answer is that, if Poland continues to follow its own course on the matters of abortion, religious, racial and social persecution etc, and the EU insists upon application of its own quasi-imperial order, then it should move to sling Poland out of the 'club'. That would serve to focus minds, both upon whether or not Poland wishes to retain the benefits of membership, as well as what the role of the EU actually is, and how far its reach should or should not extend into the affairs of member nations.
Let’s hope diplomacy doesn’t fail. Neither Britain nor Poland can afford to give up the economic benefits of closeness to the EU.

'Modern Monetary Theory'. Seems to have some strong Keynsian elements, from what I glean from the thread. But the takehome message is that government spending doesn't derive from tax, but governments with their own sovereign currency essentially spend money into existence. It demolishes the lie that gave us austerity, but it does rather rely on the government having its own currency to play with (and that currency not being a basket case). Hence my view on joining the Euro.

Ok I finally got to read some of that thread. I had advanced the same logic at the start of the pandemic because it was such a sudden jolt to every world economy and as a way of maintaining social cohesion and business and employment alive during the lock down period. It didn't get any traction. In these scenarios I see the logic and necessity.

But as I see @matthewr and a few others who chipped in to that thread with counter balancing economic logic that certainly holds lots of water. I think personally developed countries should use both methods were appropriate. But I see all the pitfalls and financial meltdowns that will occur as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back