advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be the only empire countries have begged to be allowed to join.

Or the only Empire missing an Emperor, or a collective foreign policy or pretty much anything else that might be remotely comparable. But hey.

We was an Empire once,

rnTVDMJ.jpg

We’re back,

EMkVzxs.jpg

Oh look, TheDecameron's favourite cast of pantomime villains gets rolled out once again. I'm sure they last made an appearance only a day or two ago, but time flies and that. It may have been as long ago as a week.

Oh look, TheDecameron's favourite cast of pantomime villains gets rolled out once again. I'm sure they last made an appearance only a day or two ago, but time flies and that. It may have been as long ago as a week.
But EV you have to admit, the majority of Brexit voters aren’t as intelligent as you are. Most of them wouldn’t have the first clue about what you write in your Brexit themed posts here.
Strangely, I was also thinking about Farage (the time he got up in the European parliament and said “none of you have ever done a real job”) when I read old Brexit bucket Paul Dacre whining about civil servants working from home.

Or the only Empire missing an Emperor, or a collective foreign policy or pretty much anything else that might be remotely comparable. But hey.

Regarding the Emperor, there almost certainly would be one by now, had Tony Blair not blotted his copybook with bit of warmongering a while back. In the meantime the EU has to make do with a mere President (or ten), a position currently held by a gynaecologist, and formerly by a Cognac officianado - whose sense of balance had been compromised by a car accident - and comedian, who had previously spent his nearly two decades as PM of Luxembourg turning that tiny state into a corporate tax haven, contrary to er... EU laws.

The EU does in fact have a collective foreign policy (or something like it), enshrined in the Maastricht Treaty of 1993, which includes a security element (nascent army, HQ etc), which currently requires unanimity (except on some things), but for which there is the usual demand for 'progressive' policy centralisation. It even has a very grandly monickered 'High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy' (which, by way of saying it all, leaves nothing out), a position currently held by the hapless Josep Borrell, who isn't a crook, because he only accidentally tipped off a mate about about a potential share deal about which he had insider knowledge, and was able to stump up the ensuing 30 grand fine without breaking into a sweat, or indeed even offering to resign his then position of Spanish Foreign Minister.

All in good time.

Remember the word, 'progressive'. Its all over the Treaties, and the bits inbetween.

Must be the only empire countries have begged to be allowed to join.

Ha, yes, I wonder why. Maybe it has something to do with all the muneee, and of course seamless access to the SM.

The interesting thing is that there is a bit of a resurgence in the popularity of actual democracy going on. Not only has the EU's obsession with the 'progressive' gathering of power to the centre without consent cost it its second biggest economy (and financial contributor), it is also causing increasing agitation within some of those formerly 'so keen to join' countries. Poland is an enormous beneficiary of the EU, not only in terms of the muneee, but because its economy, more closely integrated with and dependant upon the SM than ours ever was, is booming. Consequently membership is overwhelmingly popular. However, the Polish High Court has directly challenged the primacy of EU law on clear Constitutional grounds, and the country is somewhat antipathetic to the EU's insistence upon adherence to the 'rule of law' (its law). The EU's core countries (say France and Germany) don't like it when other countries break EU laws, as presumably they think, given their own lamentable records, that doing so should be in the unique preserve of, say, France and Germany. And all this despite their own courts challenging the primacy of EU law.

All a bit if a muddle really, but makes for interesting viewing. I'm sure it'll be sorted out, perhaps a radical new treaty in which the EU will finally be renamed Europa, Macron will be crowned Emperor, Blair will make a few more million, and the ensuing national referenda rejecting the proposals will be, as per custom, ignored.

EV we are free from all that European corruption now, safe in the arms of Boris and his successors. Let’s all get behind his Brexit and make it work for him, though I’m not sure how bothered he is, he’s probably bored with it and looking for a new toy to break.

So, not an empire then. Anyone who thinks the French would be happy to be ruled by a German, or vice-versa, is in need of professional help.

EV,

You are celebrating the resurgence of popular democracy against the EU in Poland and Hungary, both right-wing, repressive, reactionary populist regimes.

I'd start pressing those black-shirts in the back of your wardrobe. They might come in handy and your colours are showing.

But EV you have to admit, the majority of Brexit voters aren’t as intelligent as you are. Most of them wouldn’t have the first clue about what you write in your Brexit themed posts here.
Strangely, I was also thinking about Farage (the time he got up in the European parliament and said “none of you have ever done a real job”) when I read old Brexit bucket Paul Dacre whining about civil servants working from home.

Come on, admit it, you're always thinking about Farage and Dacre!

I think you might over estimate the shaven-headed, neck-tattoo'd neo-Nazi element in the Brexit constituency, and underestimate the intelligence of many millions of Brexit voters, but then again, being the entitled, public school educated spawn of 'filthy rich parents', I've probably lived my life in a bit of bubble. Except for that lost decade or so as a publican in the (albeit outer regions of) East End of London, but that's probably best forgotten about.

EV,

You are celebrating the resurgence of popular democracy against the EU in Poland and Hungary, both right-wing, repressive, reactionary populist regimes.

I'd start pressing those black-shirts in the back of your wardrobe. They might come in handy and your colours are showing.

Oh, Colin, you can always be relied upon. I really don't look good in black, doesn't suit my ruddy completion.

I'm not celebrating anything, except that every day that passes brings us closer to the other side of Christmas, and thence to next spring.

Did you observe the cast of thousands that gathered outside Parliament to celebrate Britain’s departure from the EU on the stroke of midnight? That tells you a lot. Johnson’s advisors had the good sense to keep him inside No.10 with some free champagne.

The Independent called it a “knuckle dragging carnival”,

OtGcv74.jpg

So, not an empire then. Anyone who thinks the French would be happy to be ruled by a German, or vice-versa, is in need of professional help.

Or, indeed, Tony Blair.

I think you might have identified a source for (more) future friction in the EU. Couldn't they have joint Emperors, with Royal Court located in Alsace, which they could then take in turns to annexe, say every 5 years. Strasbourg already has the infrastructure.

The Polish High Court- this will be the one their far right government has taken political control of, placing itself above the courts?

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/13/8057...rontation-with-european-union?t=1637399263479

It makes Trump’s stuffing the Supreme Court with ill-qualified lackeys amateurish in comparison.

The Polish government, and the President, are elected. I believe the current government was elected by popular mandate on the back of a record turnout, though they don't hold a majority in the senate.

The Law & Justice party is loathed amongst the self-respecting denizens of the 'other' European, and indeed British, societies, and are often branded 'far right', I think due to the fact that Poland, as a conservative Catholic nation, holds a rather more 'old-fashioned' view on awkward topics such as homosexuality and abortion than we fortunate and enlightened liberals do. Then there is the issue of judiciary appointment.

It's all a bit tricky. The EU, which, like us, is enlightened, wishes for Poland to conform to its more contemporary humanitarian standards, written into the rule of law and thus impositional upon Poland. Poland is telling the EU to spierdalaj.

A testing time for the great institutions of the European Union.

Or, indeed, Tony Blair.

I think you might have identified a source for (more) future friction in the EU. Couldn't they have joint Emperors, with Royal Court located in Alsace, which they could then take in turns to annexe, say every 5 years. Strasbourg already has the infrastructure.

The Polish government, and the President, are elected. I believe the current government was elected by popular mandate on the back of a record turnout, though they don't hold a majority in the senate.

The Law & Justice party is loathed amongst the self-respecting denizens of the 'other' European, and indeed British, societies, and are often branded 'far right', I think due to the fact that Poland, as a conservative Catholic nation, holds a rather more 'old-fashioned' view on awkward topics such as homosexuality and abortion than we fortunate and enlightened liberals do. Then there is the issue of judiciary appointment.

It's all a bit tricky. The EU, which, like us, is enlightened, wishes for Poland to conform to its more contemporary humanitarian standards, written into the rule of law and thus impositional upon Poland. Poland is telling the EU to spierdalaj.

A testing time for the great institutions of the European Union.
But you don’t loath them, you seem to quite like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back