Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Minio, Oct 9, 2021.

1. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Yes that pesky EU oversight finally gone, clean beaches and rivers are so over-rated. Freedom to pollute that's what we need. Shareholders of UK water companies - trebles all round.

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Heres how taking back control works. Conservative MPs from Scotland just voted to permit sewage in rivers in England when they couldn’t get away with it in their own country. No pesky oversight from the EU either.

tuga likes this.
  3. Nero

Nero Call me 'Goose'

I think, to be fair, you're not the normal gammon anti-foreigner. You at least make cogent arguments for your point of view, and I for one respect that. But we're a bit short of Brexiters on this thread, so I guess you'll have to do. :)

4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

I can agree that the fellow travellers trope is tiresome, especially if you don't align yourselves with the views they espouse. However, those fellow travellers were front and centre in the campaign, in essence they set the tone, and much of the appeal, for the Brexit camp. So if you find yourself on the same side of the argument as those, albeit for different reasons, you have nevertheless made a choice to support a cause which is being championed by those types, with those motivations. That's pretty inescapable.

I didn't vote for Blair, as it happens, but wasn't unhappy that Labour took power in 1997, but even if I'd voted for him, I don't recall anything in the manifesto about going to war in the Middle East. Contrast Brexit, where all this dirty linen wasn't merely on show if you knew where to look, it was paraded with pride.

roman, kendo, Colin L and 2 others like this.
  5. TheDecameron

I think EV is asking for credit for holding his nose and looking away.

6. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

If Tony Blair had said he was going to enter an illegal war in his manifesto, I wouldn’t have voted for him. Farage, Robinson, Banks, Mullet man, Rees-Mogg, Gove, that shit trumpet of a prime minister we have now are the Brexiteer’s fellow travellers. Don’t pretend to me you held your nose and followed their lead because you felt sorry for the Greeks…

7. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

The despised Blair was your own fellow traveller in 2016... Not that it’s important, or means anything, of course. This finger wagging at people about ‘fellow travellers’ is a meaningless strawman.

Talking of manifesto’s. The tories had a referendum on leaving the EU in their 2015 manifesto. What are your thoughts on those who voted in a way that took seats away from Labour in 2015, thus making a referendum on EU membership more likely?

8. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

The main driver behind the 'official' vote leave campaign was Daniel Hannan. He was still in short trousers when my Euroscepticism was forming, and until the period around the referendum I'd barely heard of him. I think Farage was involved with the so-called 'unofficial' grouping, which certainly didn't have any resonance with me.

So no, LS, no 'nose-holding', and I certainly did not 'follow their lead'.

I seem to recall that Tony Blair was vociferously bleating for the remain campaign. According to your childish 'fellow-travellers' trope, does that not align you with the man responsible for the Iraq war?

Aren't you the bloke who has a little bit of an issue with a Peruvian in the HoL, or have I muddled you with someone else?

9. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

That was Paddington.

roman, TheDecameron and eternumviti like this.
  10. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

11. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^ we are the best. We have done more than any govt in recent decades. On anything you question.
    Now which brazen liar started all this fake news crap and got away with it ?
    Never be defensive, never apologise for mistakes simply double down with sweeping lies.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

It is not moving the goalposts anymore. It is simply having no goal at all.

tonerei likes this.
  13. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

More real facts on the 'success' of Brexit.
    UK port traffic down 21.2% from Dublin. The article explains the reasons and how trade is switching to the EU. No doubt the businesses in the EU will welcome the extra business gifted to them by Brexiteers. Meanwhile Frost continues to fart on about the NI protocol and the water company shareholders rejoice that they no longer have to worry about all those silly EU rules.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/20...n-port-traffic-down-3-3-in-first-nine-months/

ff1d1l likes this.
  14. Nero

Nero Call me 'Goose'

I see Tim Gammon of Wetherspoons has got his backhander in the budget. Shares of Spoons up 6%

This should cover the expected increase in prices of EU booze as well. Cunning.

15. TheDecameron

Reminiscent of Thatcher era agriculture minister Selwyn Gummer stuffing a spinal column CJD burger in his daughter’s face for the cameras.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tuga, zarniwoop and Nick_G like this.
  16. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

I notice he claims that these ancient tax rules can now be changed because they have left the EU. Another Brexit bonus it seems regaining control of taxes on alcohol. Wonder why taxes on alcohol is so high in Norway it must be the EU's fault. Still sizeable part of the Brexiteer voters will be pleased that beer is now going to be cheaper.

Another damning confession by a UK diplomat. She must be a 'hard remainer'. Isn't that the go to one liner when faced with uncomfortable facts.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/pol...sh-farmers-with-turnips-ex-diplomat-1.4711626

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Enfield boy likes this.
  17. Brian

I’ve no idea if this is anything to do with leaving the EU, as has apparently been claimed, but who cares?

What have I missed? I’m not seeing much to complain about in the article.

18. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Not you, obvs, but here you still are.

19. Brian

Yep, here I am. And here you are, sniping away as usual.

20. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke