Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Minio, Oct 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Elite? He's a man of the people fighting the elites.

2. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

Good point- how remiss of me I had forgotten anybody can apply for a scholarship to Eton.

3. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

It is difficult to find the positives though. The real ones, not the imaginary...

4. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

Especially the ones paid for by EU

5. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

I didn't say there had.

I was speculating around the undeniable, even if undesirable, scenario of us being where we are, not where we were before 2016 or 2020.

And again.

These efforts to misrepresent what I have said are tiresome, and tiresomely predictable.

And I wasn't lecturing Bob, any more than he was dispensing lectures (though he was wearing his bias subtly on his sleeve).

I was merely pointing out a perfectly pertinent fact regarding America. They control their own immigration, and would not accept the primacy of any foreign court, not least one with an inbuilt political agenda. They might reasonably respect, or at least understand, that principle in other sovereign entities.

With 63 years of the Aquis, inherited by the UK when it signed up in 1973, (though subsequently mitigated to some extent by opt-outs) running to some 80,000 pieces of legislation of which at least 30,000 are current, it would be very difficult to name laws that the EU does not have a hand in, either directly or indirectly. The EU reaches into virtually every aspect of our lives. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is subject to debate, but a thing it most certainly is.

Your final point, another straw man, much mooted by continuity remain - whilst the UK may have had the means of temporary, limited restrictions on EU immigration under certain quite specific circumstances, it remained throughout its membership subject to the 4 abiding principles of the SM, of which free movement was absolute. This is also true of the EEA members, and of Switzerland.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The desperation of the government’s strategy disguises a basic reality. Brexit is not actually about autonomy. It is not about facilitating free trade. It is not about making us wealthier. It, in fact, does precisely the opposite of every single promise voters endorsed. When it comes to it, Brexit just isn’t much fun, so the government must do everything possible to disguise its effects.

But in the end, this leads to an even simpler revelation. Brexit is the product of basic, inescapable consequences. If you erect trade barriers, trade will be harder. If you gut the workforce, there will be fewer people to do necessary jobs. If you leave a club, you can no longer enjoy the perks of membership. The tragic irony of the last five years is that May’s first, emptiest slogan was both the truest and hardest to accept: Brexit really does mean Brexit.”

Excellent reality check in Prospect.

Weekender, Mullardman, Rob998 and 3 others like this.
  7. eternumviti

Oddly enough, I subscribe.

8. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

But you refuse to learn.

tonerei likes this.
  9. eternumviti

What, not to subscribe to magazines which commission bitter, facile little articles on Brexit that are not merely biased, but employ sarcasm to signal their cringeingly submissive, unquestioning fealty to the institutions, personnel and theology of the EU, the better to provide useful morsels of bias confirmation for believers to gloatingly post up to one another on social media?

You're right, I guess, I should unsubscribe and save myself a few quid, but I do quite like to keep myself open to other, opposite opinions to my own.

10. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

How do you think Brexit is going EV? Still think we're better off out?

11. eternumviti

Right now, no, I don't Nick.

Were we right to leave? That's an altogether more important question. We won't know the answer for some while.

12. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I think we know already; it's just that some of us are slow learners.

lordsummit, tonerei, Nick_G and 2 others like this.
  13. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

14. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

I think we've known since the ref...admittedly getting handy reminders every few days makes a handy reinforcement of convictions. Wearing the t shirt...
    [​IMG]

Tony L likes this.
  15. eternumviti

I think that some of us are just not as well equipped with crystalline orbs as others.

16. Joe Hutch

A simple calculation of likely benefits vs definite losses did the trick for me.

lordsummit and tonerei like this.
  17. eternumviti

Simple being the operative word.

18. Joe Hutch

Quite. It didn’t require anything more complicated than summing up the advantages of being part of a major trading bloc and weighing these against some nebulous idea of ‘taking back control’ and the lies of the Leave campaign.

lordsummit, i_should_coco and ff1d1l like this.
  19. eternumviti

You rest my case.

20. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

What case?

ff1d1l likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.