advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah this is all too polite where is the Brexiteer spirit gone surely you should be upping the anti with some derogatory comments about Super tweeters or some sentence with hard and remainer in it somewhere. Even a roll eyes for dramatic effect. :rolleyes:

To get the thread back on track. How the mighty have fallen. Reduced to reading greetings for lolly instead of leading his army out of Europe. It is so pathetic listening to his monotone diatribe of hot air to try and drown out the fact he is a twat of the highest order.

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1450227109130014723
Always nice to see him getting torn a new one.

To get the thread back on track. How the mighty have fallen. Reduced to reading greetings for lolly instead of leading his army out of Europe. It is so pathetic listening to his monotone diatribe of hot air to try and drown out the fact he is a twat of the highest order.

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1450227109130014723

It's scary to think that this obvious half-wit is a substantial part of the reason for Brexit. One begins to suspect that Trumpism crossed the Atlantic on the Mayflower.

P.S. I see from tonight's BelTel, that he's been duped into saying Tiocfaidh ár lá (our day will come), a popular Republican saying.

Last edited:
I've been trying to parse a positive from Brexit, fully understanding I'm not British. The only thing I can think of is that it allows for full sovereignty, with not having to follow EU regulations. And so, from a national, dare I say, jingoistic, perspective, I suppose that could be a positive.

However, everything I have read suggests that Brexit is a slow train to disaster, socially, politically, and economically. The following article explains some of the downsides (and reads as a devastating critique of Boris Johnson), but it's far from the only one: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/20/business/boris-johnson-shortages-britain.html

As an American whose roots come from the UK, I like to think of myself as more sensitive to UK issues than most Americans. But to me, Brexit looks like the disaster suggested in the NYT article above. Am I missing something?

I've been trying to parse a positive from Brexit, fully understanding I'm not British. The only thing I can think of is that it allows for full sovereignty, with not having to follow EU regulations. And so, from a national, dare I say, jingoistic, perspective, I suppose that could be a positive.

However, everything I have read suggests that Brexit is a slow train to disaster, socially, politically, and economically. The following article explains some of the downsides (and reads as a devastating critique of Boris Johnson), but it's far from the only one: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/20/business/boris-johnson-shortages-britain.html

As an American whose roots come from the UK, I like to think of myself as more sensitive to UK issues than most Americans. But to me, Brexit looks like the disaster suggested in the NYT article above. Am I missing something?

No.

You're just missing the fact that Brexit has sent the NYT into a tailspin for some reason.

It's scary to think that this obvious half-wit is a substantial part of the reason for Brexit. One begins to suspect that Trumpism crossed the Atlantic on the Mayflower.

P.S. I see from tonight's BelTel, that he's been duped into saying Tiocfaidh ár lá (our day will come), a popular Republican saying.

Yes scary that this fool could convince people but the truth is these people didn't need convincing they just needed a cheer leader.

Yes his Gerry Adams birthday one. The guy gets £87 for everything he reads out. Reckon he keeps the lot and doesn't bother have someone to check them out before barking on air.

It isn't just the NYT . . .

https://www.politico.eu/article/a-b...ble-hurt-to-lose-single-market-boris-johnson/

Even a cursory google scholar search turns up far more negative Brexit articles than positive.

I'm hoping that the negatives are overblown, but Brexit so far seems to be a huge negative for the people of the UK.

Wasn't that rag debunked as a fake news outlet long ago. If you're looking for accurate UK reporting on how this wonderful experiment is progressing the daily mail or any of Boris's announcements will give you an accurate view. o_O

These outcomes are not opinion. But you know that. It is interesting that your favourite phrase was used by Johnson himself though, perhaps you will look on it more kindly now you realise that. It is after all the perfect description of what people were sold, just such a shame it was never on offer.

"Boris Johnson, then one of the leaders of the Brexit campaign famously told the Sun newspaper after the vote: “Our policy is having our cake and eating it.” He meant that Britain could have all the economic advantages of being in the EU single market and customs union while being outside them.

In December, Johnson, now prime minister, repeated this monstrous lie, telling the BBC anti-Brexiteers had wrongly warned that “you couldn’t have free trade with the EU unless you conformed with the EU’s laws.”

“That has turned out not to be true,” Johnson said. “I want you to see that this is a cakeist treaty.”"

These outcomes are not opinion. But you know that. It is interesting that your favourite phrase was used by Johnson himself though, perhaps you will look on it more kindly now you realise that. It is after all the perfect description of what people were sold, just such a shame it was never on offer.

"Boris Johnson, then one of the leaders of the Brexit campaign famously told the Sun newspaper after the vote: “Our policy is having our cake and eating it.” He meant that Britain could have all the economic advantages of being in the EU single market and customs union while being outside them.

In December, Johnson, now prime minister, repeated this monstrous lie, telling the BBC anti-Brexiteers had wrongly warned that “you couldn’t have free trade with the EU unless you conformed with the EU’s laws.”

“That has turned out not to be true,” Johnson said. “I want you to see that this is a cakeist treaty.”"

Sorry, you'll have to remind me, what is my 'favourite phrase'?

Festival Of Brexit has been rebranded / renamed as "Unboxed"

FCM-ClWXIAI-UX3

Sorry, you'll have to remind me, what is my 'favourite phrase'?

You seemed to dislike "cake and eat it", throwing a little hissy when remain inclined commentators correctly used that term to describe what Leave were trying to claim was on offer. I'm sure fellow travellers in this thread remember it well.

So I was amused to see it was actually used by Johnson to soothe the fears of potential Leave voters alarmed that we might lose some benefits and he was lying to them just for a change, blustering that we would not.

You seemed to dislike "cake and eat it", throwing a little hissy when remain inclined commentators correctly used that term to describe what Leave were trying to claim was on offer. I'm sure fellow travellers in this thread remember it well.

So I was amused to see it was actually used by Johnson to soothe the fears of potential Leave voters alarmed that we might lose some benefits and he was lying to them just for a change, blustering that we would not.

Gosh, don't we work ourselves up over the most inane things!

As I recall, I expressed my opinion that the idiom had been rather tiresomely overused, and that in its common grammatical construction it didn't anyway make any sense. I certainly wouldn't have characterised it as a 'hissy', but I'll bear it in mind.

By way of a bit of light relief, it seems that I'm not alone in finding the cake and eat it idiom a bit illogical, it seems as though there's been much thought and debate applied to it over the years;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_can't_have_your_cake_and_eat_it

It seems more logical to say something along the lines of 'you cannot eat your cake and still have it afterwards', indeed, if you apply a French accent to it you can hear tripping quite quaintly from Monsieur 'non to more immigrants' Barnier's tongue, and apply it usefully to all sorts of EU hypocrisy.

As I recall, I expressed my opinion that the idiom had been rather tiresomely overused, and that in its common grammatical construction it didn't anyway make any sense. I certainly wouldn't have characterised it as a 'hissy', but I'll bear it in mind.

By way of a bit of light relief, it seems that I'm not alone in finding the cake and eat it idiom a bit illogical, it seems as though there's been much thought and debate applied to it over the years;

It seems more logical to say something along the lines of 'you cannot eat your cake and still have it afterwards', indeed, if you apply a French accent to it you can hear tripping quite quaintly from Monsieur 'non to more immigrants' Barnier's tongue, and apply it usefully to all sorts of EU hypocrisy.

Not worked up at all, you are the one going through the usual contortions to twist a Brexiteer conceit back round to somehow being the EU's fault. Just for a change. Everyone knows what the expression means and it certainly fits the idle promises of all change but no change, which is presumably why it irritated you. It's still an accurate reflection of the delusion.

Not worked up at all, you are the one going through the usual contortions to twist a Brexiteer conceit back round to somehow being the EU's fault. Just for a change. Everyone knows what the expression means and it certainly fits the idle promises of all change but no change, which is presumably why it irritated you. It's still an accurate reflection of the delusion.

Now you're attributing something else to me. What Brexiteer conceit is it that I'm apparently contorting to make the EU's fault?

I think the first post I've made here in a while merely expressed the perfectly well-founded opinion that the NYT has a bit of a fixation about Brexit.

In the meantime, you seem fixated on a rather overused idiom, and the fact that at some point I've expressed mild irritation at its being done to death. Well, don't let me stop you. Be my guest.

Bit below the belt that last line. Germany played no part in creating the refugee crisis but has shown true compassion taking in more than its fair share.
About time the USA, and particularly the Republican born again bible thumping Christian states, took a million or more since they created most of refugees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back