advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
268.jpg
I've my own version of that! Dreamt up fir a pal, and performed to great hilarity:
When an del eats your thigh like a big piece of pie,
it's a moray.
it looks you in the eye, you think you're going to die...
As your screams and your cries so incredibly high...
Etc. I may have ad libbed a bit after that, or reckoned the joke done.

Gloating would be the last thing on my mind, I think it's tragic and always have. Admittedly zealots who were dismissive of warnings and indicators from people affected, who continue to double down on it - get much less sympathy, but this is a horrendously divisive, avoidable national disaster with no tangible benefit for the vast majority.
I feel much the same way, especially as a Norn Ironer. If I'd had a vote, it would have been for Remain (like most of my fellow Norn Ironers), but the majority decision was to leave, and I hope that the UK doesn't suffer for it in the long term.

But who knows? Perhaps it has prompted the eventual reunification of Ireland, which, in my book, would be a good thing. (I suspect that Westminster would also love it, as it would get rid of an ungrateful, constantly moaning money sink that it doesn't really understand and about which it really couldn't care less). In effect, the Unionists have done more for the cause of Irish unity in the last 5 years than did the IRA/Sinn Féin in the previous 30.

Currently staying near Ullapool. It is mostly closed for business due to lack of staff. I wonder why.

The only open proper restaurant is fully booked for rest of week. The other open restaurant is actually only serving food from the chippy next door. Everywhere else is closed. Normally this time of year should be thriving... mid term holidays here. Overall, millions must be draining out of the local economy. This on top of the already collapsed shellfisheries.

I must confess that I was born and raised in Basildon.

I've been in correspondence with a brilliant documentary photographer, Simon Tasker, who was born and raised in the Langdon (Laindon) Hills, where his father owned a small farm. An uncle farmed on the marshes at Bowers Gifford, and he had an old Essex accent so broad that it was quite distinct from the variation found even only a short distance away, and which he apparently retained even 40 years after emigrating to Australia. Basildon effectively straddles both Laindon and Bowers Gifford. Simon is about the same age as me, and even in his teens in the 1970s he was driven to document what turned out to be the last days of the rural way of life that had existed for generations. Our family paths crossed - my great grandparents on both sides variously owned and ran pubs, one in the market place in Romford, and the Fortune of War on the A127, opposite which Simon's father had a farm produce shop. Another great grandfather, an entrepreneurial East-Ender who drank his way through two fortunes before dying on his third at the age of 51, built the Halfway House at East Horndon, ostensibly to quench his own legendary thirst as he was driven (in his yellow Rolls-Royce) between the Elephant in Fenchurch St and the Royal Hotel at Southend, but more pragmatically to catch the high spirited crowds of 'charabanging' East-Enders on their way to and from Southend.

Rural life has of course changed across the country due to the industrialisation and automation of agriculture, but I doubt that anywhere has the suburbanisation of the countryside advanced more deeply and rapidly in the past 40 years than here in south-mid Essex.

Simon's work can be found on instagram https://www.instagram.com/simonltasker/

I've been in correspondence with a brilliant documentary photographer, Simon Tasker, who was born and raised in the Langdon (Laindon) Hills, where his father owned a small farm. An uncle farmed on the marshes at Bowers Gifford, and he had an old Essex accent so broad that it was quite distinct from the variation found even only a short distance away, and which he apparently retained even 40 years after emigrating to Australia. Basildon effectively straddles both Laindon and Bowers Gifford. Simon is about the same age as me, and even in his teens in the 1970s he was driven to document what turned out to be the last days of the rural way of life that had existed for generations. Our family paths crossed - my great grandparents on both sides variously owned and ran pubs, one in the market place in Romford, and the Fortune of War on the A127, opposite which Simon's father had a farm produce shop. Another great grandfather, an entrepreneurial East-Ender who drank his way through two fortunes before dying on his third at the age of 51, built the Halfway House at East Horndon, ostensibly to quench his own legendary thirst as he was driven (in his yellow Rolls-Royce) between the Elephant in Fenchurch St and the Royal Hotel at Southend, but more pragmatically to catch the high spirited crowds of 'charabanging' East-Enders on their way to and from Southend.

Rural life has of course changed across the country due to the industrialisation and automation of agriculture, but I doubt that anywhere has the suburbanisation of the countryside advanced more deeply and rapidly in the past 40 years than here in south-mid Essex.

Simon's work can be found on instagram https://www.instagram.com/simonltasker/

Very interesting, and many references to places that I am very familiar with. My parents still live in Laindon (albeit not for much longer), a stones throw from where the old Fortune of War used to stand, and I spent many, many nights drinking in there as a teenager. Bowers Gifford was a regular venue for my Cub / Scout football exertions and we used to ride our bikes laden with fishing gear up to the Halfway House to try and catch something from the lake in Thorndon Park (we never did). We once cycled through the field, straight down towards the A127 and completely ruined our bikes with the extremely sticky and heavy clay / mud, not to mention my mates Dad's car when we hefted all those muck caked bikes into his boot when he came to pick us up (we had to call the SOS from the Halfway House payphone, the only time I ever set foot in there).

I shall check out the photographs.

Very interesting, and many references to places that I am very familiar with. My parents still live in Laindon (albeit not for much longer), a stones throw from where the old Fortune of War used to stand, and I spent many, many nights drinking in there as a teenager. Bowers Gifford was a regular venue for my Cub / Scout football exertions and we used to ride our bikes laden with fishing gear up to the Halfway House to try and catch something from the lake in Thorndon Park (we never did). We once cycled through the field, straight down towards the A127 and completely ruined our bikes with the extremely sticky and heavy clay / mud, not to mention my mates Dad's car when we hefted all those muck caked bikes into his boot when he came to pick us up (we had to call the SOS from the Halfway House payphone, the only time I ever set foot in there).

I shall check out the photographs.

Did you catch this recent post on another thread?

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/today-i-have-mainly-been-v1.258005/page-42#post-4475056

A Tory mouthpiece on Newsnight blaming the pig culling crisis on ‘global supply chain/ Covid/nothing to do with Brexit ’. Even more ridiculous revisionism on QT, Boris got Brexit dun/ will of the people/ NIP problems because remainer Parliament and EU. The unchallenged lie by a thick No.10 former adviser that the majority in N.I are unhappy with the NIP.

A Tory mouthpiece on Newsnight blaming the pig culling crisis on ‘global supply chain/ Covid/nothing to do with Brexit ’. Even more ridiculous revisionism on QT, Boris got Brexit dun/ will of the people/ NIP problems because remainer Parliament and EU. The unchallenged lie by a thick No.10 former adviser that the majority in N.I are unhappy with the NIP.

They should hammer them every time just to try and put a bit of pressure on them. But their target voter only hears and believes this stuff even if it is rebutted.

Our Taoiseach's comments yesterday. All common sense stuff and nicely skewers what Bojo is all about and his interest. It matters none I fear this mess will just ramble on. No one in the UK will show buyers remorse it is just not the done thing. Suffer in silence with this great victory.

'Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said all the discussions he has had with British prime minister Boris Johnson about the Brexit protocol have concerned “sausages getting to Northern Ireland” and never the European Court of Justice (ECJ).

Asked if the EU Commission might be willing to concede its position on the ECJ relinquishing some of its oversight role, Mr Martin said the court had never formed part of the discussions with Mr Johnson around the Northern Irish protocol or the related political difficulties that arose for the British government.

“The main sticking point all along on the ground was around the free flow of goods from Great Britain to Northern Ireland, ” said Mr Martin.

“Even with the British PM, in the discussions I have with him in respect of Northern Ireland, it was, emotively, people talking about the sausages getting to Northern Ireland and so on.

“You know what, the sausages can now get to Northern Ireland. I don’t want to be facetious about it but the bottom line is we got over that too,” he said.

He said that the free flow of goods, medicines, a simplified system for testing animals, were all the key issues.

Turning to the question of the role of the ECJ and governance, Mr Martin said: “Access to the EU market is the big prize here and it is a big prize. Nowhere else in the world are we getting this unique solution.'

COVID vs Brexit analysis for those who want some actual research and don't get triggered by Twitter links:

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/1448691835052957697

Big take from that is the fact UK is not doing checks on goods coming in to the UK. Imagine the carnage if that was implemented. Bit disconcerting that they are doing no checks on goods obviously the EU's fault for not frustrating Brexit for another 5 yrs to give them time to think about arranging these checks.

Big take from that is the fact UK is not doing checks on goods coming in to the UK. Imagine the carnage if that was implemented. Bit disconcerting that they are doing no checks on goods obviously the EU's fault for not frustrating Brexit for another 5 yrs to give them time to think about arranging these checks.
Next time Putin wants to get radiological or biological weapons into Britain, he needn’t bother with a diplomatic bag through a private airport, he can just post them from anywhere in the EU

Next time Putin wants to get radiological or biological weapons into Britain, he needn’t bother with a diplomatic bag through a private airport, he can just post them from anywhere in the EU

So, like when we were members of the EU then?

Utter bollocks by Schapps on the beeb this AM (quelle surprise), pushing the new Tory line that getting rid of foreigners will let wages increase and we will (magically it seems) be a high wage, high tech economy. But we will allow cabotage for now to assist with logistics, but only temporarily as these low wage foreign drivers keep domestic wages down. In the real world, all the academic studies show that EU workers might have depressed wages by a maximum of only 1% but their main effect was to increase economic activity and GDP.

I look forward to the Tories sweeping away their anti-Union legislation to allow workers to negotiate better wages and for the minimum wage to be increased to liveable amount. Not holding my breath.

And to add to the fun, lorry drivers are threatening strike action for better working conditions. shorter working hours and better pay; all the things Boris says they should have. They have now become the favourite hate figures for the right-wing tabloids for 'stealing Christmas', 'holding the country to ransom' etc etc.

Big take from that is the fact UK is not doing checks on goods coming in to the UK. Imagine the carnage if that was implemented.

Yes it has always been underplayed that whatever the problems to date they are going to get an order of magnitude worse when we actually implement the checks at our end and stop just waving everything through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back