advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean what I said. Nothing else, though obviously this is pfm.

If it helps I suggest you start at the link in my last post and read the entire saga of this thread if it’s unclear who I mean.
I read it. This is an irrelevant diversionary tactic though. You seem unable to specify due to choosing a narrow view of 'democracy' and what upholding it means.

I mean what I said. Nothing else, though obviously this is pfm.

If it helps I suggest you start at the link in my last post and read the entire saga of this thread if it’s unclear who I mean.

Democracy is not a one off event that is then set in stone..it can be revised... otherwise we wouldn't have further GEs....The American's democratically altered their constitution to ban alcohol in 1918...The Volstead Act...aka prohibition...The authorities tried to make it work but through corruption and the rise of organised crime it failed and by 1933 the USA acknowledged that when Roosevelt repealed it and the ban on alcohol was removed...As prohibition failed so will Brexit...but Prohibition was on the statute books for 15:years...Brexit will last longer because the EU won't want us back due to perpetual poor behaviour by the British including threatening to breach international agreements that they signed.

Freedom of speech! I believe Brexit was and is a train wreck with no sunny uplands....My feelings are you won...own it...trouble is it is affecting my life and many others who never wanted this mess.

Even with the vote the mess could have been avoided had May sort some consensus between leavers and remainers....Norway? But instead we had May pandering to the ToryKips and with her own hate of immigration....we are now in this mess...like all history...it is more complex....the 2016 vote might be corrupt...it does not matter...as the leavers promised in 2016...we can remain in the CU and the SM...£350m to the NHS.....cheap gas....lots of wonderful trade deals including the USA....plus regaining the sovereignty we never lost....So you won...own it!

We had our Morrison's delivery on Friday. There was one substitution whereas there is usually about three.

We had family round on Saturday and went walking with friends on Sunday- none of them mentioned food shortages or empty supermarket shelves.
You clearly don't believe me, so photos next time.

Does anyone here work in a supermarket (what am I saying?) or perhaps knows someone who does? I also hear from my brother that there are no shortages, but it may be in certain regions according to how close they are to supply areas.
Also if, just perchance, supermarkets with a reduced stock inflow are refraining from the demented supermarket policy of cramming shelves full for the sole reason of not looking empty, but then wasting loads of spoiled fresh food, then maybe it's a good thing.

Does anyone here work in a supermarket (what am I saying?) or perhaps knows someone who does? I also hear from my brother that there are no shortages, but it may be in certain regions according to how close they are to supply areas.
Also if, just perchance, supermarkets with a reduced stock inflow are refraining from the demented supermarket policy of cramming shelves full for the sole reason of not looking empty, but then wasting loads of spoiled fresh food, then maybe it's a good thing.

A friend is working in a Waitrose in Brum, and says that shortages are getting worse. Partly to do with Covid; but that's a minor effect compared with Brexit.
I was also chatting to a cashier in Sainsburys a week or so back, who basically said the same (after telling me horror stories of angry customers pushing him out of the way when he was stocking shelves; and of people barging into the back of the stores, accusing them of hoarding all the food for themselves).
I've seen empty shelves on a regular basis in Sainsburys, Aldi, Lidl, and Waitrose when shopping recently.

A friend is working in a Waitrose in Brum, and says that shortages are getting worse. Partly to do with Covid; but that's a minor effect compared with Brexit.
I was also chatting to a cashier in Sainsburys a week or so back, who basically said the same (after telling me horror stories of angry customers pushing him out of the way when he was stocking shelves; and of people barging into the back of the stores, accusing them of hoarding all the food for themselves).
I've seen empty shelves on a regular basis in Sainsburys, Aldi, Lidl, and Waitrose when shopping recently.
I'm not doubting you. It's just that when differing accounts appear it's either wilfully false reporting or differing single experiences being extrapolated to the whole country. I imagine there must be some reduction in imported stock flow, there has to be, but it's not appearing everywhere. Well...not yet.

You keep repeating this strawman. There isn’t anything I can do about it so I’m ignoring it but only to that extent, same as the rest of joe public. What would you do about it? Whinge a big louder?

Mind you, I thought there aren’t any ‘hostile foreign powers’ these days, who needs the military, etc?

It’s not a straw man, saying something is undemocratic because of cheating is perfectly valid. It’s why people who are first across the line in a race do not win if they have taken performance enhancing drugs.

And in other news, I caught the now beknighted IDS (wtf) on R4 tonight arguing for the government NOT to remove the £20 a week COVID payment from Universal Credit for the time being anyway. Whatever next - Patel using her own yacht to rescue migrants in the Channel.

There are shortages. I manufacture the stuff. I know which customers are getting shorted. I have photos of empty veg, meat and milk shelves in Aldi tonight. Gaps in Asda too. No carrots or celery in Aldi, low on onions. Carrots and celery FFS! No double cream in Asda. A close friend is a logistics manager for a multinational dairy company. Shortages all over. I'm not making this stuff up. Same yesterday, btw.

There are shortages. I manufacture the stuff. I know which customers are getting shorted. I have photos of empty veg, meat and milk shelves in Aldi tonight. Gaps in Asda too. No carrots or celery in Aldi, low on onions. Carrots and celery FFS! No double cream in Asda. A close friend is a logistics manager for a multinational dairy company. Shortages all over. I'm not making this stuff up. Same yesterday, btw.
I didn't say you are making it up. Yet even if you post your own photos, you can't account for every supermarket in the country. It's not that I disagree that there must be shortages caused by domestic output not being bolstered due to import interruptions and the stated lack of people to harvest things etc.

Problem is the reams of photos that have turned up on places like Twitter are so commonly false, that you can't help being sceptical. One of them posted was actually one of Albert Heijn in the Netherlands!

Have you posted your photos?

Blimey. It's a while since I've seen that many empty shelves. What do the 'info' labels have on them?

I didn't say you are making it up. Yet even if you post your own photos, you can't account for every supermarket in the country. It's not that I disagree that there must be shortages caused by domestic output not being bolstered due to import interruptions and the stated lack of people to harvest things etc.

Problem is the reams of photos that have turned up on places like Twitter are so commonly false, that you can't help being sceptical. One of them posted was actually one of Albert Heijn in the Netherlands!

Have you posted your photos?
I'm in a hotel room, posting on a tablet. It's a chore posting photos. Still, you think I'm making it up. Put your money where your mouth is, what do you want to bet? My charity's Margaret Carey Foundation. £50 and I'll post them to Martin Clark of this parish, then he can do the Flickr thing. But that'll cost you the bet. Your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back