advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 50 years there will not be an NHS.
As far as funding a quality health service is concerned total GDP is not as significant as GDP per head ppp. On that basis UK is 37th not 5th on (mainly) 2019 figures.

I see, and they still enlist. I wonder why?

Because, and apologies for the circular argument, it's an expected stage - a few years of a long career that they wish to progress in.

A minor inconvenience, if you like, to follow a calling.

But is it the result of understaffing?

It's always been the case.

Despite attempt to exempt, Jr doctors were subject to the EU Working Time Directive but that's a 13 week average and still doesn't prevent long shifts and sleeping in the laundry closet.

Because, and apologies for the circular argument, it's an expected stage - a few years of a long career that they wish to progress in.

A minor inconvenience, if you like, to follow a calling.

It's always been the case.

Despite attempt to exempt, Jr doctors were subject to the EU Working Time Directive but that's a 13 week average and still doesn't prevent long shifts and sleeping in the laundry closet.

My wife went through 6 years of junior training in Lisbon. It was bad, but not as bad as what I've heard described by juniors here in the UK.
It's stupid in my opinion. It teaches them nothing, may result in unforced errors and end up pushing away perfectly competent profissionals...

The new band name is a modest gesture of separation from the wave of crass nationalism that has traversed our world recently

Rather wonderful indie band ‘British Sea Power’ upon naming themselves ‘Sea Power’ (Pitchfork).
Otherwise they’d probably have had their music played at ukip rallies

There have been a lot of flags on display the last couple of weeks by a group of quite remarkable people. I particularly enjoyed the moment Jason K draped one around his shoulders on Sunday. A great moment. The reaction of his team mates was also a highlight. Quite enjoyed the obvious elation of others as well.

There is nothing wrong with flags.

Last edited:
The new band name is a modest gesture of separation from the wave of crass nationalism that has traversed our world recently

Rather wonderful indie band ‘British Sea Power’ upon naming themselves ‘Sea Power’ (Pitchfork).

They've certainly shot themselves in the foot with that little gesture. It's not that BSP is somewhat more catchy than SP, which seems a bit pointless, it's also that they've swapped irony for pointless. Irony was better, funnier, and catchier.

Rumours are that Johnson is going to use Patel as a human sacrifice to keep trouble from his own door. Apparently the thickest Home Secretary on record has let 10,000 Li-lo’s in this year. Gove to get promoted to the job- keep your friends close and the little back stabber closer. We shall miss his popular visits to Scotland in his role as minister for the union.

Oh! Worm-tongue in residence instead of the overtly racist smirker. Both are objectionable but Gove, with his oily obsequiousness and skilled lying is far more dangerous. Still, we can welcome the return of the gerund to the HO.

Flags are very popular in Scotland, mainly the Saltire and the EU flag, both of which are expected (by ScotGov) to be displayed from government buildings every day during daylight hours, of which, on balance, there aren't all that many. Flag flying is also still expected on days associated with the Union, the Queen, and Commonwealth, in which instances the Union flag makes increasingly rare appearances. The EU flag takes top slot on Europe Day, of which there are actually two, the first being associated with the Council of Europe rather than the EU. There's also lots of flag-flying on days associated with identity and gender politics.

The list of proscribed flags is interesting, and displays the sort of muddle and hypocrisy that we expect from the left. The Irish tricolour, the Ulster flag and anything associated with William of Orange, the flags of Israel, Palestine, and the Catalan and Basque flags. I guess the decision was made to favour sycophancy (to the EU) over solidarity (with other European independence movements) in the case of the latter two.

Saltire corrected. The other one was tongue in cheek. I was going to put 'in winter', but I've got to dig my heels in and be a contrarian arse now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back