advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Membership of the NF peaked at 17,500 in 1971. By 1985 it was estimated to have 1000 members. In the 2015 GE it fielded 7 candidates, who each garnered an average of 155 votes.

The younger and electorally more successful BNP peaked at a membership of around 10,000 in 2010, its 339 candidates picking up 563,000 votes (1.9%) in that year's GE. In the 2019 GE it had a single candidate, who received 510 votes. Its membership is mostly white, male, of low education, and ageing, and is drawn from former Labour voters who feel culturally disenfranchised by the increases in immigration during and since the Blair years, with a particular antipathy towards Muslims, with an expressed fear of the Islamification of their communities.

EDL is described in Wikipedia as a 'rag-bag' movement, generally comprising poorly educated, disenfranchised, unemployed working class young men (80%) from within the urban culture of football hooliganism. There is a high reported incidence of physical and sexual abuse in childhood. There is no membership as such, and the movement is estimated to have peaked at about 15,000 participants in 2011. Its single motivation is a hatred of Islam, often expressed in violence. At its peak it could field up to around 3000 people at a demonstration, but this would now be reduced to a handful, at most 300.

They all moved to the Tory Party- quite literally! They have a far more successful political vehicle for meeting their needs now.

Boris Johnson has been criticised for his failure to categorically reject the election endorsement of far-right activist Tommy Robinson”.

“Nigel Farage has said the Brexit party will not field any candidates against the Conservatives in the 317 seats they won at the last general election, after Boris Johnson committed to leaving the EU by 2020”.

Knock one of your pantomime villains on the head, and up pops another one behind you. It's a true game of whack-a-fascist.

I don't imagine many of this very small constituency vote at all, but the point remains the same, in electoral terms their numbers are insignificant.

I don't imagine many of this very small constituency vote at all, but the point remains the same, in electoral terms their numbers are insignificant.

The point we are making is the core ideology is now that of the mainstream Conservative Party and is being dished out day by day by this government. After the pre-election purges Johnson’s Tory party is now UKIP, it is Trump, it is the Tea Party. It has been reborn as a popularist-right party in the now well established Steve Bannon mould.

Yes, a trifling problem, ‘these people exist in tiny numbers’. How many copies does the DM or Sun sell? Tiny surely and Mr. Farage, well he’s not in office. There is no problem with racism and xenophobia in Britain, it’s a fiction created by the lib left.

Knock one of your pantomime villains on the head, and up pops another one behind you. It's a true game of whack-a-fascist.

You know your history, surely the lessons from it are that the one time pantomime villains rather easily slip into the mainstream. Especially with large scale propoganda support and a population either distracted or quite happy to be made to feel 'special' or that their problems are caused by others.

I imagine there were many in Germany who dismissed what was happening, right up to the point that they looked round and it had happened.

It used to be the catch phrase 'It's the economy stupid' now it seems the focus is off the economy and we now get 'It's the dinghies stupid'

You know your history, surely the lessons from it are that the one time pantomime villains rather easily slip into the mainstream. Especially with large scale propoganda support and a population either distracted or quite happy to be made to feel 'special' or that their problems are caused by others.

I imagine there were many in Germany who dismissed what was happening, right up to the point that they looked round and it had happened.

Ah OK, I had wondered what those rows of long, wide trenches that have been dug beside the A12 outside Chelmsford were for. I guess the privacy screens will come next.

Yes, a trifling problem, ‘these people exist in tiny numbers’. How many copies does the DM or Sun sell? Tiny surely and Mr. Farage, well he’s not in office. There is no problem with racism and xenophobia in Britain, it’s a fiction created by the lib left.

There are problems with racism and xenophobia in all countries. There are many societal problems here, but this one is still very, very far from the top of that list.

Yes there's no problem with racism, or sexism in the uk, how could there be, we have a woman of Asian decent in charge of keeping displaced people with different coloured skin out of the country.

Ain't that just like claiming not being racist because you have one black friend.

i think that is a matter of opinion. I disagree with you, racism and xenophobia is rather high up the list of British ills.

I think its a matter of research, most recently I believe by none less than the EU, which found that most of its own member countries were higher up the racism & xenophobia list than is the UK, some of them considerably so.

I think its a matter of research, most recently I believe by none less than the EU, which found that most of its own member countries were higher up the racism & xenophobia list than is the UK, some of them considerably so.

just because it is also a problem in other EU countries, doesn’t excuse Britain!

There are problems with racism and xenophobia in all countries. There are many societal problems here, but this one is still very, very far from the top of that list.

Not sure a Brexiteer is the best judge of that. I would ask someone who has been a victim of racism first.

The only person who I personally know who has been a recent victim of racism was my self-evidently English stepdaughter, who was verbally racially abused on a bus in Glasgow, by a Scotsman, last year. As recounted here more than once.

Actually, to say that she was a victim is over egging it. She was the target of a volley of expletive-ridden abuse concerning the fact that she was English, and thus unwelcome.

However, it was still racist.

The only person who I personally know who has been a recent victim of racism was my self-evidently English stepdaughter, who was verbally racially abused on a bus in Glasgow, by a Scotsman, last year. As recounted here more than once.

my Dutch wife was told to ‘Go Home’ several times when she was living in England. This was long before Brexit.

Undoubtedly an unpleasant experience for your daughter, but there is a world outside your little bubble. Perhaps you have read about Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka - to name just three high profile victims of horrific racial abuse - recently?

But the Brexit vote emboldening racists and the resulting drift towards BNP territory by the Tories has set back any progress that was being made to tackle the problem. It's looking backwards, it's regressive, and increasingly out of step with 21st century reality.

Besides if you distill racism down to what it essentially is, i.e. bullying a person based on the absorption spectrum of their epidermis, it just highlights the sheer stupidity and craziness of it all.

Worth reposting Micheal Rosen’s excellent words again:

Fascism: I sometimes fear...

I sometimes fear that
people think that fascism arrives in fancy dress
worn by grotesques and monsters
as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis.
Fascism arrives as your friend.
It will restore your honour,
make you feel proud,
protect your house,
give you a job,
clean up the neighbourhood,
remind you of how great you once were,
clear out the venal and the corrupt,
remove anything you feel is unlike you...
It doesn't walk in saying,
"Our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."

It didn’t magically appear in Germany in 1939, there had been best part of two decades of groundwork to get to the point where that was possible. People apologising or turning a blind-eye to where the UK and America are right now should really read a book or two!

PS The Wikipedia entry is very good, it covers the early years, which are the real warning signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back