Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIII

Discussion in 'off topic' started by eternumviti, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I know I said I would waste no more of my time on you but: The UK ceased to be a partner of the EC when we told them to do one; your assertion that they need us is risible.

SteveS1 likes this.
  2. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

You've just wasted more time on me. At least in didn't cost you any application of your critical faculties.

3. Graham B

Graham B pfm Member

It’s astonishing how people still cling to moaning about ‘punishment beatings,’ and how the U.K. is being treated so unfairly.
    It isn’t.
    The U.K. is being treated exactly as any other third country, which is what the U.K. told the EU it wanted to be.

What this entails was laid out very clearly and early in negotiations for a deal, so I don’t see that anyone moaning about the current situation has a leg to stand on, and you can’t say that you weren’t warned about exactly this.

Nick_G, Rob998, oldius and 8 others like this.
  4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, a committed Brexiter, said recently that instead of “some big cumbersome whale”, the UK could now be “a more agile dolphin”.

[​IMG]

No cumbersome whale here.

Nick_G and Kirk like this.
  5. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I see an elephant's foot in the room though.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  6. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

Where? On the chair or the ground?

7. Joe Hutch

The thing on the chair is a quite different part of an elephant's anatomy.

PsB and lordsummit like this.
  8. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

9. Joe Hutch

No, it's the elephant's arse, not its yawn.

10. Kirk

Kirk pfm Member

11. Kirk

Kirk pfm Member

Pret are running a free coffee promotion at the moment.

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I prefer the other Brexit warrior’s emoji based passive aggressive retorts.

13. Joe Hutch

[Brian] Was that aimed at me, Hugh because you and your Remoaner chums (continues for several pages) [/Brian].

14. Colin L

Colin L LOU Attitude Adjuster

The Tory government led by May, but in thrall to the ERG nutters, hobbled itself a the very start when it issued the withdrawal letter starting the 2 year clock. To do so without agreement on what type of Brexit was wanted, with no pre-discussions with the EU on the shape of the new relationship was rank stupidity.

Following that May ruled out SM / EEA trade relationship, again boxing herself in. Every informed commentator said that this was madness.

With those decisions the UK government was fighting a ticking clock and had placed itself in a position of weakness. EVERYTHING that happened since was predicted at the time and is a direct result of those decisions.

Of course ET blames the EU, but then he blames them for everything.

Nick_G, PsB, Graham B and 2 others like this.
  15. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Ah, a UKIP economics expert. You and Colin Barron ought to get a room.

Yes, less of it and more expensively.

The first part has never been true and certainly isn't now as a quick check would have identified. The vaccine roll out here has been the one merciful success amongst one of the worst COVID responses in the world, never mind Europe.

House price inflation driven by taxpayer handout and foreign development will mean higher prices and rents against falling UK affordablility - another success like that and will be in deeper dodo. We have also to contemplate the inevitable crash after this absurd bubble.

LOL. Leaving aside the Brexiteer insistence that it was over-valued when the Brexit result wiped 20% of it in 2016, our exporters must be delighted to see this as their costs rise and ease of market access is reduced.

Got any more reasons to be cheerful on the economic front? Why no mention of the fishing and agricultural sector? Do be shy there must be some justification for this absurd self-harm somewhere.

16. billo

billo pfm Member

Just cold, hard facts. The Pharmacology suppliers have had to sign NDA's with this gov. over Brexit which is why up to now only the manufacturers have been telling us how everything is normal, which it is, but a lot of generic medicine companies are shutting down as they will have no market in the EU or NI after the grace period ends in Dec.
    First they came for the fishermen then the farmers and then the hospitality sector, I'm sure they will get around to the whine merchants soon enough

17. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Graham is not a matter of 'punishment beatings' it is more 'are you with us or against us', to ensure the captive 27 understand the benefits of being aboard EU Titanic.
    What is difficult to understand is the level of arrogance that allows the EU to take on Germany, which by far is the main contributor to keeping it afloat. The German courts were unhappy with financing countries which was against the EU founding principles. The EU court action against Germany is to establish whether Brussels has sole right to interpret EU law.
    German tax payers must be delighted to see some of their billions of Euros EU contributions being used to take them to court. It is good to see the even handed nature of the EU where even if a country is 'with them' they can still be blighted by dictatorship.

18. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Won't it be interesting, though, to learn whether the ECJ is supreme after all? I rather hope the Germans win and prove that the vassalage to the EU was another myth, like straight bananas.

Colin Barron likes this.
  19. Graham B

Graham B pfm Member

With respect, that is a total deflection, and it is also not the issue currently in question. I will add though, that the 'legal challenge' in Germany has been blown out of proportion and is in fact largely resolved, and the case is now more about settling the dispute between the courts for future clarity. Legal questions and conflicts like this will arise frequently, and it would be negligent if they were not resolved. So not arrogant, either.

So, back to the issue of the U.K. deliberately making itself a third country, knowing the consequences in advance, ignoring the rules it signed up to and then moaning about the consequences?

Nick_G, TheDecameron, SteveS1 and 4 others like this.
  20. Nero

Nero Call me 'Goose'

Jennifer is on her knees, wearing the cloak of invisibility