advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever tried to take an apple, given to you on an American airline, which you intend to eat on the taxi ride into New York, through USA border control?

$300 fine & might be lucky if they let you in again. It's a rules based construct, and arguing you think it's 'bonkers' will only get you into deeper water....

And now I've broken my promise never to post on these threads

Well your first post will confuse a few but everybody else I am sure will thank you for your brief post which beautifully explains the predicament the UK are in. Not the EU.
Unfortunately la la I am not listening then follows and around the bush we go.

Looks like tariffs then. It's going to hurt, all round, but everyone will adapt eventually, say in about 50 years.

Yes just like war one when running out of the trenches crying bring it on. Sounds like a great plan. Let Boris go first with you holding his hand. :D

You do talk some rot. How many more times, this was an agreement deliberately entered into with no intention of honouring it. Save your indignation for people more worthy of it.

If I had time, or a better memory, I'd look at the etymology of this thing. The EU has gone for the letter of the NIP, but not the spirit.

I have been shown or seen no evidence that what it is doing is necessary. All the facts show that it is not.

It’s equivalence, which is a word the Bozza Mafia is going to chuck around a lot over the next couple of weeks or so.

No, it really isn't.

You seem to lack any kind of imagination, Colin, or perhaps your head is ruled by your heart in regard of your hatred of the tories.
No, he is clearsighted, and waffle is transparent to him.

And anyway

198504844_10159286850247453_8417361753455469832_n.jpg

Last edited:
Biden’s meeting with Spaffer should be interesting. Doubtless there will be usual anodyne press release.

“Brexit bombshell:
The Times last night dropped a blistering front page scoop that top U.S. diplomat to London Yael Lempert bawled out Brexit Minister David Frost — accusing the U.K. of “inflaming” tensions in its refusal to impose the customs checks on goods it signed up to. Patrick Maguire and Oliver Wright report that she issued London with a “démarche” — a formal reprimand that wouldn’t normally be used for allies, especially not those with a special relationship. She said Biden would raise his concerns at the meeting with Johnson and () in public this weekend. And she said that if Britain signed up to EU agricultural standards it would not prevent the U.K. striking a trade deal with the U.S. — blowing a hole in the Downing Street argument against doing so. No response from No. 10 last night.

Fighting talk: One Conservative Brexiteer said Biden should row in behind Britain and not the EU in the dispute to break the deadlock. “America should remember who their allies are,” the person told Playbook. Asked what Johnson should tell Biden, the MP added: “Unfortunately he’s so senile that he probably won’t remember what we tell him anyway. Unless an aide is listening I’m not sure he’s going to remember for very long.” Erm. Wow.”

The selfishness, delusions and arrogance of Brexit and brexiteers writ large there.

Irish MEP in the Irish Times today on Frosty Purism.

Difficult to understand how anyone who looks on the facts here can come up with any puerile excuse for the behaviour of Boris and the well padded legal purists sent to negotiate.
But once you have a little look at the type of posts here you get a fair idea of the level of sausage meat that is being thrown around by this Tory gov.

“Being quite honest, I don’t say this lightly but I don’t believe David Frost is a trustworthy interlocutor,” Mr Andrews told the Committee, chaired by Senator Lisa Chambers.

“He is of a cohort that has consistently underplayed the significance of Brexit for the island of Ireland. They have consistently ignored warnings about the effects of it on the island of Ireland and rammed through the Northern Ireland protocol to get Brexit done.

“They are now blaming the EU saying the British did not understand the circumstances in which the protocol was written even though it was drafted in English by those who speak English as a second language.

“None of this is very credible. Unfortunately for Ireland we run the risk of being collateral damage in increased tensions between the EU and the UK.”

“Unfortunately for Ireland we run the risk of being collateral damage in increased tensions between the EU and the UK.”
A real world statement and with hard times ahead each country needs as much foreign trade as possible.

Biden’s meeting with Spaffer should be interesting. Doubtless there will be usual anodyne press release.

“Brexit bombshell:
The Times last night dropped a blistering front page scoop that top U.S. diplomat to London Yael Lempert bawled out Brexit Minister David Frost — accusing the U.K. of “inflaming” tensions in its refusal to impose the customs checks on goods it signed up to. Patrick Maguire and Oliver Wright report that she issued London with a “démarche” — a formal reprimand that wouldn’t normally be used for allies, especially not those with a special relationship. She said Biden would raise his concerns at the meeting with Johnson and () in public this weekend. And she said that if Britain signed up to EU agricultural standards it would not prevent the U.K. striking a trade deal with the U.S. — blowing a hole in the Downing Street argument against doing so. No response from No. 10 last night.

Fighting talk: One Conservative Brexiteer said Biden should row in behind Britain and not the EU in the dispute to break the deadlock. “America should remember who their allies are,” the person told Playbook. Asked what Johnson should tell Biden, the MP added: “Unfortunately he’s so senile that he probably won’t remember what we tell him anyway. Unless an aide is listening I’m not sure he’s going to remember for very long.” Erm. Wow.”

The selfishness, delusions and arrogance of Brexit and brexiteers writ large there.

This is going to get very interesting. You wonder if this is behind the fresh Tory language about not referring to it as ‘the special relationship’ any more.
Brexit Island caught between the grind stones of two economic giants, the US and EU while alienating both. Good luck with that, the plucky Brexiteers. You’re gerring it dun in style!

Have you ever tried to take an apple, given to you on an American airline, which you intend to eat on the taxi ride into New York, through USA border control?

$300 fine & might be lucky if they let you in again. It's a rules based construct, and arguing you think it's 'bonkers' will only get you into deeper water....

And now I've broken my promise never to post on these threads
This doesn’t really compare with the situation between the UK and the EU trying to make things difficult and provoke trouble in N.Ireland.

Have you ever gone back in to the arrivals passport control area through the exit doors with those big ‘no entry’ signs on? I have. :)

It’s equivalence, which is a word the Bozza Mafia is going to chuck around a lot over the next couple of weeks or so.
Other than being a rule that could be changed there is no equivalence.

You do talk some rot. How many more times, this was an agreement deliberately entered into with no intention of honouring it. Save your indignation for people more worthy of it.
Yes, we know.

However, sticking like super glue to an unworkable agreement that may cost lives because it ‘was an agreement deliberately entered into with no intention of honouring it’ achieves what exactly?

If I had time, or a better memory, I'd look at the etymology of this thing. The EU has gone for the letter of the NIP, but not the spirit.

I have been shown or seen no evidence that what it is doing is necessary. All the facts show that it is not.

No, it really isn't.

You have to laugh, your constant complaints about the big bad EU and yet you spend posts by the dozen here defending the utterly indefensible. We haven't really got as far as the EU's position because this agreement was never intended to be honoured and was used to manipulate public opinion by Johnson for his own purposes. Unless this is dealt with I can't see much progress.

You have to laugh, your constant complaints about the big bad EU and yet you spend posts by the dozen here defending the utterly indefensible. We haven't really got as far as the EU's position because this agreement was never intended to be honoured and was used to manipulate public opinion. Unless this is dealt with I can't see much progress.
Johnson and Frost have taken enough rope to hang themselves with and it’s fighting talk to the end. Are we going to get shrill demands for compulsory displays of patriotism and told that the country may be called on to make sacrifices?

You have to laugh, your constant complaints about the big bad EU and yet you spend posts by the dozen here defending the utterly indefensible. We haven't really got as far as the EU's position because this agreement was never intended to be honoured and was used to manipulate public opinion by Johnson for his own purposes. Unless this is dealt with I can't see much progress.
The oven (heating element not working) ready deal was purely a false headline, of the tradition, delivered by Johnson to depose Theresa May as PM and in usurping her, secure his place as Prime Minister. The con was operated on the public and the 27 states of the EU. The problem is that the big lie has come unstuck and everyone can see it, the Americans, the Europeans and the public (apart from the true believers). Eventually the penny will drop with the voters and in anticipation of this, Johnson and his alternates attack the EU directly and the American government slyly. This is only going to go in one direction and it’s to a bad place.

The oven (heating element not working) ready deal was purely a false headline, of the tradition, delivered by Johnson to depose Theresa May as PM and in usurping her, secure his place as Prime Minister. The con was operated on the public and the 27 states of the EU. The problem is that the big lie has come unstuck and everyone can see it, the Americans, the Europeans and the public (apart from the true believers). Eventually the penny will drop with the voters and in anticipation of this, Johnson and his alternates attack the EU directly and the American government slyly. This is only going to go in one direction and it’s to a bad place.
The penny dropped that tory ideology makes them unsuitable for govt for some of us a long time ago. For others, it’s happening now but is too late, I’m afraid.

Think of Brexit as a fine wine, promising much, but when opened it's corked.
I think it is more like cheap plonk with a label deliberately designed to fool the unwary into thinking it’s something rather better. Chateau b’Yquem, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back