advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite right, one can never be too careful with these devious foreigners: give them an FTA, and you soon find out you've signed up for the 4th Reich. Splendid isolation is the only way to go. Except for low cost Asian imports, naturally, our stuff needs to be cheap.

That Pacific free trade zone thingy Truss et alia seem to want to join looks dodgy, too. Better avoid.

Never mind all that. Get a few Russian Boris backers to inflate the housing market and organise some more gambling de-regulation, that'll make up for it all.

I think Cummings is too Machiavellian to be seduced by notions of revenge. I think it’s another step in his plan to move fast and break things. I’m hoping the thing that breaks here is, first, Johnson, and ultimately the rest of the Tory party, especially the Cabinet and Parliamentary bits as they’re roped to Johnson and could get dragged under; but I’m very wary of taking any pleasure or solace from it, and the next question is: ‘what fills the vacuum?’

Priti Patel. As with Cameron and May, be careful what you wish for.

It's true that there is nothing revelatory but the value of corroboration and of giving us examples of what was said and done, and when, is primary source material which brings events into focus.

As to his motivation, I'm quite comfortable with it as I suspect, perhaps for the first time, it chimes with my own- to shame Johnson and Hancock, and attempt to drive them out of office (probably too late to save lives, but you never know).

Once he returns to project Gove we will part ways again.
Be VERY wary of any ‘the enemy of my enemy is my friend’ thinking, though.

This Australia deal just gets better btw.......15 year pledge to protect UK farming?

Nope, just another porky in amongst the beef and lamb. Under the bus they go - say hello to the Fishermen and Arleen.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/australia-trade-deal-tariffs-farmers-b1866496.html

Meanwhile, more on future trading partners with high standards to replace lost income, welcome to the new Global Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/202...ince-salman-bin-hamad-al-khalifa-human-rights

Regarding the Cummings What's App messages, I know the focus is on Hancock but I found this segment of Cummings's blog to be the more telling.......

Cummings argues that the quality of decision-making in government improved while Johnson was in hospital with coronavirus because his stand-in, Dominic Raab, could “chair meetings properly instead of telling rambling stories and jokes”.

Raab let officials probe for the truth, “unlike the PM who as soon as things get ‘a bit embarrassing’ does the whole ‘let’s take it offline’ shtick before shouting ‘forward to victory’, doing a thumbs-up and pegging it out of the room before anybody can disagree”

This is Johnson to a tee. Unfounded optimism, no substance to worry about, a quick bit of ra-ra and out before the questions. It's how he campaigns, it's how the press treat him and sadly, how the public treat him. The only time he got caught out was when Eddie Mair stepped in for Andrew Marr and we all know how that went. It made Johnson realise that he had to control who interviewed him from then on and a supine media enables that to this day.
Good post. If only people hadn’t helped him, or the tory party to a majority.

And the second one is…?
Arithmetic isn’t his strong point.

The Germans are starting to believe the 4th Reich is flourishing in Brussels

So we’ve been told a number of times,

woDE3N3.jpg

“we’ll fight them on the beaches of Mallorca” - well we would if we could get there.

Possibly not even that. They are loyal to the tribe. The tribe has been top dog for centuries, and is determined to stay there. Anything that helps the tribe stay on top is also fine, i.e. Westminster - at the moment anyway. Funnily enough, if the Loyalists wanted a motto to reflect their real mentality, it would be sinn féin (ourselves alone). In other words, when the chips are down, the only people on which we can rely are ourselves. This is the danger of pushing these people into a corner (or creating a situation that they interpret thus). Careful thought and diplomacy is needed to overcome this, and there's not a lot of it around at the moment.
The Guardian seems to think that schismatic nihilism will finally end Unionist rule and quite soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-dup-back-to-the-past?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
“Mr Poots’s future is now an open question. He may himself be ousted. Even if the new executive survives the summer, the language bill could bring it down in September. That may mean that assembly elections, due in May 2022, could be brought forward.

This suits Sinn Féin, which can sit and watch as the DUP destroys itself. The possibility that Sinn Féin will soon be Northern Ireland’s largest party, with the right to nominate the next first minister, has been growing for many months. On Thursday it became almost a certainty. The DUP often seems to yearn for the past. Now it may itself soon be part of it”.

This Australia deal just gets better btw.......15 year pledge to protect UK farming?

Nope, just another porky in amongst the beef and lamb. Under the bus they go - say hello to the Fishermen and Arleen.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/australia-trade-deal-tariffs-farmers-b1866496.html

Meanwhile, more on future trading partners with high standards to replace lost income, welcome to the new Global Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/202...ince-salman-bin-hamad-al-khalifa-human-rights

That's the next election sown up. All that cheap meat from Australia will win over the Brexit voters. England will vote Tory again on a full tummy.

First they came for our sausages, then they came for our bigotry. No Irish-Sinn Fein-EU-native language hegemony interfering with our Sovereignty! No surrender-Gerritdun!!!

Don't think it matters what Cummings does. Joe Public are invested in Bojo and Brexit. Nothing will derail this project. The English from what I can see tend to be very stoical. Couple that with a chunky bunch of those who need little encouragement to dislike Johnny Foreigner and all the ingredients are there to keep this cake cooking.

I see upthread EV is going through more cloudy sunglasses time over the importance of NI and the impact Brexit would have. This is the popular revisionism practiced by English men up and down the country when confronted with a problem that is obvious and was obvious. Just pretend they weren't told. Truth is they would have voted the same way anyhow as the vast majority don't consider NI, Scotland or Wales when voting on something as juicy as a glorious full English Brexit.

The pantomime will continue regardless of what happens.

This post stands out for its utter vacuity, but you've done a few since that come close.

You keep mentioning me in a sort of 'offhand' way. You've just done it again. Have I rattled you?

Benefits of Brexit, part numpteen- brutal £2bn drop in Q1 2021 and it’s not “teething problems” it’s structural-

“The loss of £2bn of exports to the EU is a disaster for our industry, and is a very clear indication of the scale of losses that UK manufacturers face in the longer-term due to new trade barriers with the EU,” said Dominic Goudie, the head of international trade at the Food and Drink Federation (FDF)”.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-first-quarter-of-2021?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

But think of all the cheese we can export to Australia that huge cheese market of erm….25m people. We couldn’t have done that when in the EU, allegedly.

But think of all the cheese we can export to Australia that huge cheese market of erm….25m people. We couldn’t have done that when in the EU, allegedly.
Don't forget the ceramics and swimwear!
Oh, and biscuits.

Look out world, we are back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back