advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathan Freedland-

“Optics, meet reality. The visuals emanating from Cornwall are just what Boris Johnson wanted: a warm encounter with the new US president, followed by a summit of world leaders with himself in the chair. The “special relationship” renewed, “Global Britain” in action, him at the centre: job done. Trouble is, the photo-ops and reality don’t match”.

Classic populist showmanship from Johnson. A day’s worth of fawning headlines from the DM , Murdoch and the Barclay organs proclaiming the new era of Atlanticism.
In a few days he’s either going to sell the Ulster Unionists down the river as the Reverend Doctor Paisley would have had it or he’s going to start a trade war with Europe and piss off Washington. Can’t wait to see which way he jumps- my money is on a fully staffed border between Britain and the island of Ireland as required in law.

u9PLwFi.jpg

it’s going to be a very hot summer. Only mad dogs and Ulstermen on the streets.

Boris Johnson has vowed to "do whatever it takes" as he repeated his threat to suspend Brexit agreements with the EU over Northern Ireland.

Speaking to Sky News after Macron and other EU leaders used meetings on the sidelines of the summit to urge him to compromise, Johnson hit back, claiming the EU was constructing “all kinds of impediments” instead of applying the protocol “sensibly”.

“I think we can sort it out, but it is up to our EU friends and partners to understand that we will do whatever it takes,” he said. “If the protocol continues to be applied in this way, then we will obviously not hesitate to invoke article 16, as I have said before”.

He also said that some EU leaders he had spoken to “do seem to misunderstand that the UK is a single country, a single territory. I just need to get that into their heads”.

Spoofing till the bitter end. This is when the Brexiteer's here run to the pub to hide from the sheer idiot Eaton stupidity of it.
The idea of Boris going to the wire for NI is risible. Only one of the Brexit boys here really bothers to mention or engage on NI. Then it is just a load or silly assertions that can be off loaded on PFM but are certifiable comments if produced by Frost or Boohoo in serious negotiations.

It is banal. They picked their bespoke version of Brexit themselves and insisted on it going through quickly to get it dun. Now like a spoilt child refuse to eat their dinner. It is an embarrassing side show for a country that should be much better than this. They are Hungary on the west side of Europe. What a calamity.

Spoofing till the bitter end. This is when the Brexiteer's here run to the pub to hide from the sheer idiot Eaton stupidity of it.
The idea of Boris going to the wire for NI is risible. Only one of the Brexit boys here really bothers to mention or engage on NI. Then it is just a load or silly assertions that can be off loaded on PFM but are certifiable comments if produced by Frost or Boohoo in serious negotiations.

It is banal. They picked their bespoke version of Brexit themselves and insisted on it going through quickly to get it dun. Now like a spoilt child refuse to eat their dinner. It is an embarrassing side show for a country that should be much better than this. They are Hungary on the west side of Europe. What a calamity.
It’s Agincourt all over again. Boris n the boys are going to put two finger stumps up to Macron and the rest. I expect a declaration of war from Cpl. Francois and Sirdesmond Swayne any day now unless an undertaking is received by eleven o’clock giving them everything they want.

Classic populist showmanship from Johnson. A day’s worth of fawning headlines from the DM , Murdoch and the Barclay organs proclaiming the new era of Atlanticism.
In a few days he’s either going to sell the Ulster Unionists down the river as the Reverend Doctor Paisley would have had it or he’s going to start a trade war with Europe and piss off Washington. Can’t wait to see which way he jumps- my money is on a fully staffed border between Britain and the island of Ireland as required in law.
How does your party plan to pay for the fully staffed border you’re clamouring for between Scotland and your biggest trading partner?

From The Guardian:

"On Saturday in a triple whammy of meetings, beginning at 8am with Macron, Merkel and then European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European council president Charles Michel, the Europeans’ fury at Johnson for going back on treaty deal became clear. Their annoyance is unlikely to have been lifted by the presence at all the meetings of Lord Frost, the UK’s chief Brexit negotiator, who was wearing union jack socks."

Sir Nigel Sheinwald, a former UK ambassador to Washington, said: “There is no point in writing new Atlantic charters which depend on mutual trust, mutual confidence and the rule of law when you are operating as chancers.”

Lord Peter Ricketts, a former permanent secretary at the Foreign Office and also an ex-UK ambassador to France, said Johnson was finding out that it was not possible to have good bilateral relations with France and Germany while treating the EU like an enemy.

Another former UK ambassador to Washington and the EU, Kim Darroch, said that Johnson had failed in his big ambition for the summit: “An international agreement is not an a la carte menu from which you can choose what you like and ignore the rest."

From The Telegraph:

"Macron triggers Johnson's fury by claiming Northern Ireland is not part of the UK. Prime Minister said some leaders needed to get it 'into their heads' that the UK was a single country."

"Looming sausage trade war makes G7 barbecue sizzle."

And some classics from Hannan in the same paper:

"The arrogant EU won't budge an inch. We have no choice but to abolish the protocol. Brussels is still seeking to keep us stuck in its orbit. We must fight back." 1012 posts in the comments section so far. EV racking up the likes no doubt.

I read both the Graun and the DT early this morning, but no, I don't comment in the DT. As with pfm, you'll find the same names and pseudonyms cropping up time and again.

I find that commenting on a forum where the majority of people hold the same or similar views to your own on a narrow subject is the classic manifestation of the jerk circle, a sort of ritualistic form of onanism where the participants urge one another into ever more elevated paroxisms of lofty certitude, constantly congratulating one another on finding illusionally novel forms of issuing the same ever more frenetically typewritten ejaculation.

I think it's much more fun to play the part of matron's biro, providing a hopefully well-aimed flick here an there, and watching either the wilting rage and frustration, or the snide aside and the pretence that it didn't hurt, and just occasionally a brief, hollow silence before the angle of approach is shifted a little, and the whole cacophony starts again.

Anyway, what are you doing reading the DT? I'm sure you wouldn't lower yourself to even a modest further enrichment of the surviving Barclay, so I assume you must 'borrow' someone else's subscription?

I read both the Graun and the DT early this morning, but no, I don't comment in the DT. As with pfm, you'll find the same names and pseudonyms cropping up time and again.

I find that commenting on a forum where the majority of people hold the same or similar views to your own on a narrow subject is the classic manifestation of the jerk circle, a sort of ritualistic form of onanism where the participants urge one another into ever more elevated paroxisms of lofty certitude, constantly congratulating one another on finding illusionally novel forms of issuing the same ever more frenetically typewritten ejaculation.

I think it's much more fun to play the part of matron's biro, providing a hopefully well-aimed flick here an there, and watching either the wilting rage and frustration, or the snide aside and the pretence that it didn't hurt, and just occasionally a brief, hollow silence before the angle of approach is shifted a little, and the whole cacophony starts again.

Anyway, what are you doing reading the DT? I'm sure you wouldn't lower yourself to even a modest further enrichment of the surviving Barclay, so I assume you must 'borrow' someone else's subscription?
You think this is fun...

Spaffer claims that the consequences on NI / UK trade weren't spelled out.
A graphic from the time of T'reeza as PM spells it out pretty clearly.
The Tories are still lying and going for D, the Unicorn option.

IMG-1328.jpg

A while back I bought some shoes from a company based in Germany. They no longer accept orders from UK customers (though that hasn't stopped them emailing me with lots of 'special offers'). I guess the paperwork, hassle with customs, and difficulties around resolving disputes with customers just make it non-viable.

Still, taking back control eh? Worth all the pain, I'm sure.

Spaffer claims that the consequences on NI / UK trade weren't spelled out.
A graphic from the time of T'reeza as PM spells it out pretty clearly.
The Tories are still lying and going for D, the Unicorn option.

IMG-1328.jpg

There's been a border between the two Irelands since partition.

I was in a conference call with colleagues this week and as usual one of the key topics was Brexit effects. The cost of registration of key chemicals for Reach UK is going to be in the order of 150k+ per chemical. The conclusion was that its a toss-up as to whether the company will register several chemicals, many key to UK manufacturing and healthcare. Any that are registered will be priced to recover registration costs many times over. UK consumer pays.

There is a global shortage of raw materials in most industrial sectors post-Covid. Inventories were run down and now things are picking up. Healthcare, construction and electronics are booming and we can sell and ship our products easier and for more money in other markets. At present most companies in Europe really don't need the UK. Too much hassle.

Where's the Brexit dividend ET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back